Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 01-25-2010, 02:11 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via MSN to theboomboom

I picked up a milepost for kicks a while back, you're welcome to borrow it for your trip if you decide to drive it. I'm very jealous also, wish you the best of luck!

1997 T100 4x4
Old 01-25-2010, 02:28 PM
Hard Core 4+

Sounds like a great adventure, having said that did you include all your things you plan to take with you in your fuel consumption data? If you add an extra fuel tank you will loose some MPG. Also with putting stuff on your roof, major loss think 2-3 MPG. If you build your drawers make them light, anything added to the vehicle will add to the end result, lost MPG.

As for taking the long way, I think it would be awesome to do. If I had the time and gumption it would be a trip that I would love to take.

Good luck and let us know if you need help. I don't know much about 40's but the others do and one way or another somebody can and will help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 01-25-2010, 02:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

Sounds like a great trip. It reminds me of my early 20s when I would just take off in my old Ford truck with some gas and not enough money to get back. I'd find some odd job or other legal method of getting food and fuel.

I'd second the ear plugs and duct tape. Driving my 40 from Denver to Moab is a very physical experience.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:24 PM
Hard Core 4+

Yep does sound like an awesome trip. Here's a few random thoughts fwiw.

Not having done the drive to alaska, whats the weather like in April going through BC? Any chance of delay's (if that matters). Does the ferry company have an equivalent to standby flying? If you're already going to be in Seattle is it worth checking out?

No affililation, but check out http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/1568617106.html he says he has a gas tank from a 78 with no leaks. Or maybe possible to just get a few jerrycans if they'll fit in the back? Or maybe see if there are any yakima roof boxes for cheap on CL? Then toss the light stuff in there and gas in the back...

I dont have any cruiser parts that would help but I'm sure I got tons of old derailleurs and chains in my black hole of bike parts.

Of the three climbs you mentioned I've only done Whitney, your adventure makes me wanna "postpone" the job and load up the cruiser and go adventuring.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:51 PM
Hard Core 4+

I drove my stock '78 FJ40 from Colo Springs to Michigan in 1990 - along I-80, then up through upper Michigan and down thru Wisconsin and back on I-90. About 4K miles. Very tiring. Headwinds hurt gas mileage. Had to readjust timing due to spark knock (lower elevation) in Nebraska. Brought gobs of spare parts, but needed none. Had an exhaust donut gasket installed in Michigan. It was June, so it was 106 degrees F. in Omaha, and about 120 in the cab of my truck. It made me very sleepy. Memorable event: getting a warning from a Nebraska trooper for going 59 mph in a 55 zone. What a putz - but a speeding ticket in a '40 is always a trip. Had a blast - saw a few other FJ40s (all in Michigan, oddly - including an FJ45). I drove exactly 60 the entire way - on 235-75-15 tires - didn't want to push past 3000 rpm. I used lead additive along the way, since it was all hard, highway miles. Enjoy the ride!

Steve

Steve
Old 01-25-2010, 06:14 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

just a note, I did the ferry from Haines, AK to Bellingham, Wa few years back, on the ferry one CANNOT sleep in the car. So get commfy in the ship in another place. Drive is well worth the money and time. Get the fuel tank fixed and carry a couple of jerry cans.

Have fun!!
Later;
99 F350 reserve hauler
03 F350 crew cab dually the bigger hauler
04 Lance 1121
90 fastiva dd still going
KDDHQ
Old 01-25-2010, 07:54 PM
Lifted

Got the rear lift gate put back together. Nice to have a handle that works. Started a blog for the trip. It can be found at http://viajedemuerte.blogspot.com/

MACINNES CLAN
Well we allready got one (holy grail)
I fart in your general direction
SEAN JONES KD0DHU

Fighting fire in the last frontier.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:48 AM
Hard Core 4+

Go for it! I think it sounds like a great trip!

My "Great West Tour" in 1997 out of college utilized a very rusty $1500 1980 Ford Bronco with 170,000 miles on it. I bought from a sheep farmer in Decatur, Illinois. (I think he hauled sheep IN the truck.)

My trip lasted 3 months and 18,000 miles.
ONE breakdown. Fixed during an ice storm with a Swiss Army knife in the Dakota Badlands.

Recommendations:

Take the time to do the truck repairs and maintenance now. It'll be cheaper, faster, and easier than doing it on the side of the road. If I can go 18,000 miles in a FORD and only have a fan shroud fall off, a TOYOTA should be able to cover 5,000 trouble free miles no sweat.

Get that fuel tank fixed up first. It is the thing preventing you from going and probably the most expensive problem. Put in a leak-free, rust free tank. Save you from a lot of fuel system problems on the road.

It sounds like there is a lot of metal missing on the body. You not going to hurt the value of the truck by slapping some functional, hand-made repairs in place of the missing stock steel. Use angle iron and plate to reinforce stuff where you need structure (fenders?). Then just get a sheet of steel you can cut with tin snips to cut and fit patches over the non structural rust holes.

Don't underestimate the strength and speed of repair you can affect with fiberglass mat and gel. Maybe replace the missing structural parts with steel and your welder, then cover up the sheet metal holes with fiberglass mat.

Indoor/outdoor carpeting is a cheap way to cover up your patchwork and the smaller holes you didn’t get around to patching. Makes your interior look nice and clean again, and helps a TON with road / transmission noise. New wal-mart seat covers to match the new home depot carpet, a little spray paint work here and there and man, you’ll look downright GOOD while on your adventure!

I didn't use my radio much on my trip, I used my harmonica. Learn a new instrument while you enjoy the scenery.

Yeah. Earplugs and a kidney belt would help too.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:56 AM
Rising Sun Member

Sounds like a great trip!!!!!

Hey Rudy, you have the best stories I feel like I was standing next to you while reading this.

Best line was the Harmonica....

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiniesred View Post
Go for it! I think it sounds like a great trip!

My "Great West Tour" in 1997 out of college utilized a very rusty $1500 1980 Ford Bronco with 170,000 miles on it. I bought from a sheep farmer in Decatur, Illinois. (I think he hauled sheep IN the truck.)

My trip lasted 3 months and 18,000 miles.
ONE breakdown. Fixed during an ice storm with a Swiss Army knife in the Dakota Badlands.

Recommendations:

Take the time to do the truck repairs and maintenance now. It'll be cheaper, faster, and easier than doing it on the side of the road. If I can go 18,000 miles in a FORD and only have a fan shroud fall off, a TOYOTA should be able to cover 5,000 trouble free miles no sweat.

Get that fuel tank fixed up first. It is the thing preventing you from going and probably the most expensive problem. Put in a leak-free, rust free tank. Save you from a lot of fuel system problems on the road.

It sounds like there is a lot of metal missing on the body. You not going to hurt the value of the truck by slapping some functional, hand-made repairs in place of the missing stock steel. Use angle iron and plate to reinforce stuff where you need structure (fenders?). Then just get a sheet of steel you can cut with tin snips to cut and fit patches over the non structural rust holes.

Don't underestimate the strength and speed of repair you can affect with fiberglass mat and gel. Maybe replace the missing structural parts with steel and your welder, then cover up the sheet metal holes with fiberglass mat.

Indoor/outdoor carpeting is a cheap way to cover up your patchwork and the smaller holes you didnt get around to patching. Makes your interior look nice and clean again, and helps a TON with road / transmission noise. New wal-mart seat covers to match the new home depot carpet, a little spray paint work here and there and man, youll look downright GOOD while on your adventure!

I didn't use my radio much on my trip, I used my harmonica. Learn a new instrument while you enjoy the scenery.

Yeah. Earplugs and a kidney belt would help too.

______
Old 01-26-2010, 02:07 PM
Lifted

Took pictures to show the rust. Previous owner claimed no bondo, should have looked closer, but the entire back end is covered in it. Making a plan tonight and heading to the metal shop in the morning to get metal. Plan is to media blast and cut out the bad and weld in patches. http://picasaweb.google.com/Sjones10...eat=directlink

MACINNES CLAN
Well we allready got one (holy grail)
I fart in your general direction
SEAN JONES KD0DHU

Fighting fire in the last frontier.