Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-26-2010, 05:28 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Brake fluid is cheap and pressure bleeders make it a pleasure. I do mine every 2 years.
Where does one obtain a pressure bleeder? I know they're not cheap and remember first reading about them on the Land Cruiser Mailing List many moons ago. Basically a doohicky that you put on where the cap of the reservior goes, cuts your compressor pressure down to maybe 10-20 PSI or so, and no bubbles and no wifey complaining that she H8ts helping you bleed brakes.

Yeah yeah, I have a vacuum job that kinda sorta works, but I want to get an actual pressure bleeder.

I have asked at every parts store I go to and all they seem to have are the vacuum jobbers. Even the dude on the Snap-On truck didn't have one and didn't know where to get one.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 01-26-2010, 06:25 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
Where does one obtain a pressure bleeder? I know they're not cheap and remember first reading about them on the Land Cruiser Mailing List many moons ago. Basically a doohicky that you put on where the cap of the reservior goes, cuts your compressor pressure down to maybe 10-20 PSI or so, and no bubbles and no wifey complaining that she H8ts helping you bleed brakes.

Yeah yeah, I have a vacuum job that kinda sorta works, but I want to get an actual pressure bleeder.

I have asked at every parts store I go to and all they seem to have are the vacuum jobbers. Even the dude on the Snap-On truck didn't have one and didn't know where to get one.

This is the one I use, it's the universal Power Bleeder made by Motive Products. They have gone up in price since I bought mine. Looks like they go for $63, when I got mine it was about $50. Works pretty well on the brake but the clutch master you have to take care getting the adapter on since the reservoir is smaller.

http://store.motiveproducts.com/shar...CS=motive&All=

Truth is that for about 1/2 of this you can collect all the pieces from Ace using a garden sprayer as the main unit. But the Motive one has a nice pressure gage molded into it that make it handy.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 01-26-2010, 07:08 PM
Rising Sun Member

I bleed my brakes using the following procedure. It's simple and requires no special tools. In fact it's so simple that I feel like i'm doing something wrong.

I shove a tube (18 inches) onto the brake bleeder . Clear tube is best because you can see through it but vacuum tube works just as well. The key is that it is a small diameter tube so that the brake fluid won't drain out of the tube when the flow in the tube stops. The free end of the tube goes in a bottle. Again clear is good but not necessary. I crack the brake bleeder open a bit, not wide open but about a quarter to half turn. I then pump the brake pedal with my right hand and look under the truck for fluid flowing out of the tube. Fluid squirts into the bottle and stops when I let go of the pedal. The tube stays full of fluid and no bubbles enter the bleeder. When the reservoir is almost empty, I fill it to the top with fresh fluid and keep pumping. When the fluid in the tube is nice and clear, I close the bleeder and move onto the next one. I start with the wheel furthest from the master cyl and work closer to it. Its easy to pump a quart of juice through the system to flush it out. What am I doing wrong? Why do you need a power flush tool?
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 01-26-2010, 08:35 PM
Rising Sun member

i think you're fine as long as you beat the air bubble back to the bleeder.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 01-26-2010, 09:44 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
i think you're fine as long as you beat the air bubble back to the bleeder.
X2, for flushing this method is fine ut if you have air in the system you have to get it out of the hose and into the container. Also the "official" Toyota method for bleeding the brakes is drivers rear 1st, passenger rear 2nd, passenger front 3rs and drivers front last.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 01-26-2010, 10:35 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post

This is the one I use, it's the universal Power Bleeder made by Motive Products. They have gone up in price since I bought mine. Looks like they go for $63, when I got mine it was about $50. Works pretty well on the brake but the clutch master you have to take care getting the adapter on since the reservoir is smaller.

http://store.motiveproducts.com/shar...CS=motive&All=

Truth is that for about 1/2 of this you can collect all the pieces from Ace using a garden sprayer as the main unit. But the Motive one has a nice pressure gage molded into it that make it handy.
That's the one.

Love the thing. You can bleed without it, but one thing is especially true with older systems: pumping the pedal sends the seals into an area they normally don't go. I have had one master cylinder fail from this. The pressure bleeder just moves the fluid out, without operating any of the pistons.

Hey, if the old fashioned way works for ya, it works. I love the pressure bleeder approach though. It will even bleed a hard-to-do clutch system with ease; much better than wrestling with it by pedal (DAMHIK ).
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:20 AM
Rising Sun Member

x3 on the Motive Power Bleeder....

IIRC I picked mine up off ebay pretty cheap. Just make sure you get the one with the right adapter or the one with all the adapters if you plan to use it on various vehicles of different makes. It is great for flushing the brake system, not so great for just bleeding them if you really don't want to go through too much fluid...Like after replacing pads and the brakes are just a tad mushy.

The other option I've considered are the speed bleeders

@ $7 each you could do a couple vehicles for less than the cost of the power bleeder...Although I guess with these the issue Bill mentions might not be resolved? But it makes the old school pump method a one person operation for sure

TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 01-27-2010, 08:21 AM
Hard Core 4+

Those have a decent reputation FAIK. They don't do much for the situation where you are trying to make air go in all kinds of unnatural directions though. The pressure bleeder takes care of that very nicely because you are not limited to the throw of the master cylinder, it is a steady flow. I never have to bench bleed a new MC, just test the pressure seal without fluid, fill the tank, pump it up, and lay on the creeper bleeding fluid.

There is a downside. If you fall asleep you will go through a lot of fluid, then have to start over.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:34 AM
Hard Core 4+

bleeding on the 100series takes 40 pumps on the pedal before anything starts to happen, just to share. Is it that way for 80 series?
Old 01-27-2010, 09:00 AM
Rising Sun Member

My wife seems to enjoy helping me bleed brakes. And the last time I did it a couple of months ago on the 40, my 8 yr old daughter stepped up to be the pumper.

Interesting theories and info on fluid intervals, especially the one about manufacturers trying to reduce the number of <100k miles maintenance items. But I still find interesting the number of differences between Honda and Toyota for some maintenance:

Brake Fluid: Honda=every 3 years regardless of mileage. Toyota=N/A
Auto tranny: Honday=3 flushes between 0 - 75000 miles. Toyota=flush at 100k miles.
Engine oil: Honda=every 7500 miles. Toyota=every 5000 miles. (both have moved from 5w30 to 5w20).
Coolant: both have 0 changes for < 100k miles
Diff: Honda=every 30k. Toyota=every 60k.

Toyota does have a "harsh conditions" service plan that increases the intervals, but other than that their maintenance reqts are far less than Honda.