Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 01-26-2010, 05:04 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Toyota telling dealers to STOP selling cars

Wow

8 models

http://www.9news.com/news/article.as...1537&catid=339

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) - Toyota Motor Co. said Tuesday it was suspending U.S. sales of eight recalled vehicle models to fix accelerator pedals that stick, the latest quality problem to confront the world's No. 1 automaker.

As part of the plan, Toyota said it was halting production at five manufacturing facilities for the week of Feb. 1 "to assess and coordinate activities." There are 2.3 million vehicles involved in the recall, which was announced last week.

"This action is necessary until a remedy is finalized," said Bob Carter, Toyota's group vice president and general manager.

The Japanese automaker says the sales suspension includes the 2009-2010 RAV4, the 2009-2010 Corolla, the 2009-2010 Matrix, the 2005-2010 Avalon, the 2007-2010 Camry, the 2010 Highlander, the 2007-2010 Tundra and the 2008-2010 Sequoia.

It was unclear how long Toyota would suspend production of the vehicles. In an e-mail to employees, company officials said, "we don't know yet how long this pause will last but we will make every effort to resume production soon." Toyota officials did not immediately return phone messages.

Toyota said the company would stop producing vehicles at plants in Indiana, Kentucky, Texas and Canada. They said no other North American Toyota facility would be affected by the decision.

The auto company said the sales suspension would not affect Lexus or Scion vehicles. Toyota said the Prius, Tacoma, Sienna, Venza, Solara, Yaris, 4Runner, FJ Cruiser, Land Cruiser and select Camry models, including all Camry hybrids, would remain for sale.

Toyota said last week it was recalling 2.3 million vehicles in the U.S. to fix accelerator pedals with mechanical problems that could cause them to become stuck.

That announcement followed a larger recall months earlier of 4.2 million vehicles because of problems with gas pedals becoming trapped under floor mats, causing sudden acceleration. That problem was the cause of several crashes, including some fatalities.
Seems to be a tad bigger than a floor mat issue...
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 01-26-2010, 05:51 PM
Hard Core 4+

Now they are saying the peddle assembly is the problem. At least they are stepping up and doing more than any other manufacture ever did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 01-26-2010, 11:41 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

4runners, FJ cruiser, and Landcruisers don't seem to have the problem..... would hate to see someone wheel off a cliff because of a sticky accelerator pedal

But i agree, at least they are stepping up to address the problem....
Old 01-27-2010, 12:29 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner View Post
Now they are saying the peddle assembly is the problem. At least they are stepping up and doing more than any other manufacture ever did.
I agree...I'm amazed...Recalls are nothing new but to encourage dealers to stop selling certain vehicles and to stop production? Wow...Kudos IMO to Toyota because this won't be cheap for them or the dealers and they seem to be genuinely concerned...Or maybe the lawyers told them to do it
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 01-27-2010, 12:49 AM

Obviously a sticky accelerator pedal is a problem BUT.... why wouldn't your first instinct be to turn the car off, put it in neutral, pull the e-brake, etc? It shouldn't happen in the first place, but it also shouldn't be killing car-loads of people.

2004 Audi A4: 4 RINGS
1981 FJ60: 6 LEAKY RINGS

--KG4JJW--
Old 01-27-2010, 05:53 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via Yahoo to Hants

I had the same question when the news first broke... why not pop the car in neutral?

"that guy down in Colorado Springs" - Jeff

"Damn you, Hants White!" - CruiserDan

"Wanna race?" - Bill Morgan

"Live long, love lots, cruise often." - Robert Fortune
Old 01-27-2010, 05:59 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Dog View Post
4runners, FJ cruiser, and Landcruisers don't seem to have the problem..... would hate to see someone wheel off a cliff because of a sticky accelerator pedal

But i agree, at least they are stepping up to address the problem....
Also don't see the 1991 Hilux on the list. Dodged a bullet on that one. Of course in its 225,000 life I've never personally had it suddenly or even willingly accelerate, much less unexpectantly.

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Old 01-27-2010, 06:56 AM
Rising Sun member

I heard of a story about a Lexus in California that was drive-by-wire everything (one of the earlier instances of this problem). Everything went wrong - the accelerator was pinned and the computer wouldn't let the driver move the gear selector and for some reason it wouldn't apply the brakes either, it all got recorded on a 911 call, and it was an off-duty police officer who was driving so it wasn't a case of incompetence. Anyway the car went about 120mph until his only choice was to drive it off the road and crash it.

Has anybody ridden a motorcycle that had a stuck throttle cable? Mine stuck once or twice this past summer, and it's unnerving when all of the sudden you're accelerating when you don't want to be - you have to react quickly but it certainly catches you off guard. I'm guessing a lot of people aren't car-savvy enough to make the appropriate response in the short amounts of time they are given.

I imagine the problem is more common with automatics. Imagine accelerating up to a right-hand turn in traffic, and then hitting the brakes to make the turn. It can be hard enough to slow down to a reasonable sharp-turning speed even when the engine is not fighting you to keep accelerating, and I see a lot of people don't leave much margin for error when they're driving. So when that error comes along and you find yourself accelerating through a right-hand turn, you may end up sliding into the other lane of traffic (this just happened to a friend-of-mine's coworker last weekend who got t-boned by someone that did just that).

Luckily my wife's '09 Corolla is a manual so she can just depress the clutch and disengage the driveline.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 01-27-2010, 07:58 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via MSN to theboomboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
I heard of a story about a Lexus in California that was drive-by-wire everything (one of the earlier instances of this problem). Everything went wrong - the accelerator was pinned and the computer wouldn't let the driver move the gear selector and for some reason it wouldn't apply the brakes either, it all got recorded on a 911 call, and it was an off-duty police officer who was driving so it wasn't a case of incompetence. Anyway the car went about 120mph until his only choice was to drive it off the road and crash it.
Add to that a push button start, and there really isn't a way to just turn it off either. At first I was suspicious this was a cover for a recall of some other nature, but as complicated as these new vehicles are, they probably couldn't do anything simple to repair this issue without opening a whole 'nother can of worms.

I'm with Dave though, my accelerator pedal attaches to the floor on one end and a steel cable on the other. Only thing that can go wrong there is a PPO installing the wrong size cable

1997 T100 4x4
Old 01-27-2010, 08:05 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
I heard of a story about a Lexus in California that was drive-by-wire everything (one of the earlier instances of this problem). Everything went wrong - ...
My job is in IT, I love computers, they do things that would be painful for humans to have to take over, they are wonderful.

But not my choice for complete management. I'm with Dave, cables, clutches, and normal ignition switches is the schizz. When computers go wild anything can happen unless there is a failsafe .

Here's a thought: motorcycles have kill switches near the throttle grip. Why don't cars have something similar??
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.