Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 01-14-2016, 10:21 PM
Rock Stacker

Default Toy newbie looking for advice.

I just bought my first Toyota! An '05 Tacoma TRD off road. My goal is to get 35s under it and increase articulation as much as I can. What is the best method of accomplishing this without dropping $3k or more on just the parts for a lift?

I'm working on a budget. I have access to a lift, tools and some mechanical knowhow so labor isn't a factor.

Is there a good way to get to 6 inches in two separate lifts? I want off road functionality, this is not for looks.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Does anybody have experience with Rough Country lift kits?
Old 01-15-2016, 12:13 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDane View Post
What is the best method of accomplishing this without dropping $3k or more on just the parts for a lift?

With this....
Attached Images

2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 01-15-2016, 09:15 AM
Vice Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
With this....
HAHAHA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDane View Post
I just bought my first Toyota! An '05 Tacoma TRD off road. My goal is to get 35s under it and increase articulation as much as I can. What is the best method of accomplishing this without dropping $3k or more on just the parts for a lift?

I'm working on a budget. I have access to a lift, tools and some mechanical knowhow so labor isn't a factor.

Is there a good way to get to 6 inches in two separate lifts? I want off road functionality, this is not for looks.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Does anybody have experience with Rough Country lift kits?
I'm sure Travis will chime in at some point at confirm that trying to get 6" of IFS lift and have articulation is more headache than it's worth.

I usually make recommendations based on experience, goals that sort of thing. Tell us more about yourself! How much wheeling have you done? Any previous builds? Where do you want to take the truck? Have you wheeled it as is yet?

Regardless, Welcome to our forum! You should absolutely come to our meeting February 3rd. We will be diving headlong into trail leading and gunning and you can see what we're all about.

TLCA #23166

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988 Hilux, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"RedChili"-1987 Super Beast

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 01-15-2016, 09:23 AM
Hard Core 4+

Getting more than 3" of useful lift from the IFS requires brackets, longer arms or solid axle swap. Even 3" is really pushing it and will certainly require quite a bit of your $3K budget. I'm lifting our 2008 this winter and my budget for the suspension is just about $2.5K, but I'm doing higher end coil overs and matching rear shocks so that eats up some money. Getting to 33" is relatively straightforward, but even this often requires inner fender trimming and probably shaving body mounts on the Taco.
'12 Gunnar Rockhound 29

"Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. Nobody is able to achieve this completely, but the striving for such achievement is in itself a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security. " --Albert Einstein
Old 01-15-2016, 09:34 AM
Hard Core 4+

I meant to mention that bracket lifts are usually bad news off road if you're really looking for functionality. It's a pretty good way to bend or crack your frame. So it depends on what you expect from your truck.
'12 Gunnar Rockhound 29

"Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. Nobody is able to achieve this completely, but the striving for such achievement is in itself a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security. " --Albert Einstein
Old 01-15-2016, 10:06 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
I meant to mention that bracket lifts are usually bad news off road if you're really looking for functionality. It's a pretty good way to bend or crack your frame. So it depends on what you expect from your truck.
^^^I think Travis would wholeheartedly agree with that also. Bracket lifts are for the street.

I think you're best combo would be a 2-3" high quality suspension and then perhaps a 1" body lift if you want height. I would not go beyond a 1" body lift however.

Squishy is right on with his comments, let everyone know your goals.

Have fun with it,
Andy | Longmont | TLCA#22354
Follow CRUISE MOAB on Facebook
-1999 UZJ100 -Black, GYDT285/75-16, Locked, WKOR sliders, TC UCAs/ Iron Man T-bars, OME866, D/T headers/Magnaflow, Columbus RTT, Drawers n'stuff.
-2001 Tacoma 2.7L Reg Cab 4x4 -Silver,my DD/trail truck, Icon/TC mid trav front, GYDT265/75-16C, Budbuilt Skids

-Kilo-Delta-Zero-Tango-Quebec-Tango-
Old 01-15-2016, 10:11 PM
Rock Stacker

Hey guys thanks for chiming in so quickly. I'm looking to join a group such as yours, and yes I plan to come to the Feb 3rd meeting thanks for the invite. Seems like a great group of guys already.

So my Experience is mixed I started off roading in my teens in a 2000 Durango. I probably learned the most taking my Dodge Stealth places it should have never been.(a car that scraped on speed bumps) Mostly to go camping. Nothing in the world can teach straddling like that did. I also rallied/dirt raced that and a few other cars I've owned.

My last truck was a '97 Ram 1500 Short Cab/Short Bed with 33x12.5 Wrangler Duratracs. Sadly it started throwing a rod so I sold it. Simply put that truck would go ALMOST anywhere I wanted it to. My new Tacoma however has a longer wheelbase, less articulation and much less clearance.

So general consensus is bracket lifts aren't a good idea even though they seem to keep everything where it belongs?
Old 01-15-2016, 10:14 PM
Rock Stacker

I feel I should also mention this was one of the trucks that just went through the frame recall. So new frame, leafs, control arms, brake lines, ball joints etc etc.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:02 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

I'm assuming that everyone is referring to....dare I say it "Honey Badger Travis"?

Hopefully they are & I'd recommend reading his recent thread on his front dif rebuild.

With that being said...there's nothing wrong with 33's & one needs to consider the terrain they'll be on. What I mean by that is most of of our CO trails can be run with 33's. I'd throw Moab in there too. Yes, you may lift a tire and you'll definitely use your sliders but you'll make the trail with a smile on your face.

Do yourself a favor & run a few trails w/ R/S & come to Cruise Moab before deciding anything. You'll be amazed at what Toyotas can do in a pseudo factory configuration (FJ40-200 series). It's truly more the driver than rig.

I say all this & chuckle at my hypocrisy... However, if I could go back in time; Dad's 40 would be stock, I'd care more about the 80, & I probably wouldn't own a 4Runner. All I'm saying is that it's a slippery slope

Travis Hurley
www.outerlimitsupply.com
1964 FJ40- Relocated to Oregon, enjoy it Dad
1988 4Runner
http://www.outerlimitsupply.com
Old 01-15-2016, 11:41 PM
Land Use Co-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy! View Post
HAHAHA! I'm sure Travis will chime in at some point and confirm that trying to get 6" of IFS lift and have articulation is more headache than it's worth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AimCOTaco View Post
^^^I think Travis would wholeheartedly agree with that also.
Well apparently I'm supposed to chime in here. LoL
If you want to lift six inches with an IFS system, then you need a six inch front diff drop bracket, a Tapout sticker on your back window, a wife beater shirt, and a flat brimmed DC hat on sideways....
Um, just kidding. LoL That's only for Chevy/Ford/Dodge Pickups.

Anyways, I run an '03 Taco. We've been "adventurising" together now for ten years. I've driven 200K miles in that time. And it's been a hell of a bumpy ride. But I've learned so much.

I Currently have this set up:
- A 4 inch diff drop bracket modified to tilt the front of the diff up to maintain proper lubrication to the pinion gear. I just had to replace an entire front diff because of this issue causing my pinion gear to weld itself to the bearing and casing. It should also be said that this is now the second drop bracket I've had. I had to replace it after having smashed the drivers side on a rock this past summer. All this together was an additional $1,000+ in repairs within three years of the bracket install. Not to mention the extra $800+ on new CV Axles in this time.

-Tundra struts and coils. Plus a two inch strut spacer. All of which only fit in there because of the 4 inch bracket.

- 63 inch 1/2 ton leaf springs off of a '95 Chevy 1500. I have the full four leaf pack. The three leaf pack that I had originally didn't have enough arch.

- I re-geared to 4:88's and put on BFG AT KO2 315-75-R16's

All this together puts the ride height at 8 inches over stock.
However, I constantly struggle with alignment issues and horrible tire wear. This is partly due to crappy drop brackets that don't have enough camber adjustment and partly due to the fact that I wheel my rig fairly hard.

As mentioned before, I've spent a lot of money replacing CV axles. I've done it so many times now, I can almost do it in my sleep. It should be said that aftermarket CV axles are BS and you should always use factory Toyota CV axles. Unless you do lift it some in which case I would definitely recommend that you use the high angle CVs with silicone boots from CVJ Axles here in Denver. Basically they use refurbished factory Toyota CV axles and put high angle silicone boots on them. With the exception of splitting a boot this fall, I've been pretty pleased with them so far.

The Whole point of this is as follows:
If you want your Tacoma to be really capable and badass, do a solid axle swap and the 63 inch Chevy springs and be done with it. It took me nine years and thousands of dollars to figure this point out.
My solid axle swap is coming, eventually. (And so is a supercharger. *rolls eyes*) And I look forward to it with great anticipation.

Whoever came up with it, 4WD IFS was a very bad idea. For wheeling in the Rockies at any rate.
TLCA #22468

The "Honey Badger"- 2003 Tacoma 4x4 4-Door -Lifted, Locked, Built.

I would rather walk than drive anything that's 2WD.

Spread the Gospel of the Wilderness.
Go to the Mountains and hear their good tidings.

Last edited by TheHoneyBadger; 01-16-2016 at 12:02 AM.

Tags
lift kit, tacoma, trd