Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Notices

Old 03-31-2014, 07:19 AM
Lifted

"Where men win glory" by Jon Krakauer. The Pat Tillman story.

www.adventuretoolcompany.com

TLCA#22379

"Like" us on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/AdventureToolCompany
Old 04-03-2014, 08:26 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Been a while since an update, listened to: In the President's Secret Service by Ronald Kessler - insightful, enjoyed it The Secrets of the FBI by Ronald Kessler - also insightful, also enjoyed it How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie - for years I've been intimidated to read this book, yet I don't know why. Everyone should read this book. Dark Waters (The Expedition Trilogy, Book 1) by Jason Lewis - This book/trilogy/story has me completely hooked. First human-powered circumnavigation of the world. The British humor makes for a good read. Cannot wait to read The Seed Buried Deep and cannot wait until the 3rd and final book is written to hear the rest of the story. Exploration and maps makes for a good read in my world. Arctic Labyrinth: The Quest for the Northwest Passage by Glyn Williams - Continuing in the exploration and maps theme, this book is lengthy but interesting history, with enough maps of new areas and plates of images to keep things engaging. About 60 pages in now.
If you like reading about the Northwest Passage, read about Roald Amundsen. He was one bad-ass Norwegian. He also looked for the passage, attempted to reach the North Pole, and then heard someone beat him to it, so he pulled back. Now historians doubt the other party's claim that they reached the N Pole. Amundsen instead launched an effort to reach the S Pole first and succeeded. He beat a team of Brits who perished in their effort.
Also, read The Terror. Historical fiction about the NW Passage.

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

CO/WY Horsetooth 4 Wheelers Cruiser Club - Click Here!
Old 04-03-2014, 08:30 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
These books were all good picks. My commute is now 13 miles each way, 30-35 minutes, but enough to get through a chapter or 2 each way. I then listened to Guns, Germs and Steel and was actually disappointed. For having won a Pulitzer Price for that book, I thought Why the West Rules, For Now was a lot better written. However, the first book was written in the mid-90s and I think the second one is a lot more current, so that could account for the difference. Listening to Eisenhower: The White House Years by Jim Newton right now. It's a very thorough account, by my reckoning. Pretty good stuff to see where we were as a nation 60 years ago.
Matt, listen to The 50's, by Dave Halberstam. Very excellent history of our nation from post WW II to our U2 getting shot down. The guy is a good writer.

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

Old 04-03-2014, 08:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
I'm not an avid reader, but I finished this one in 3 days on my recent vacation. INCREDIBLE story of a guy who ran track in the 1936 Olympics, then went to war (WWII in the Pacific). Got shot down in his bomber over the Pacific, survived for 40-something days on a life raft, and then got captured and spent 2+ years in a Japanese POW camp. If ever you feel like your entitled life is difficult, just read what this guy went through and you'll feel pretty good about what you have. http://www.amazon.com/Unbroken-World.../dp/0739319698
This was excellent! Pretty spooky what happened to him after he was freed.

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

Old 04-03-2014, 08:38 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
I needed something light-hearted and uplifting, so I just read 'The Road' and 'No Country For Old Men' by Cormac McCarthy. Good stuff. The movies were good, but the books were superior.
I read No Country. Cormac McCarthy is very good, but he freaks me out. I have the heard The Road is pretty spooky. Try The Crossing and All the Pretty Horses, Blood Meridian.

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

Old 04-03-2014, 08:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
I enjoyed that book, and think it was fairly well documented. I have come to understand that a lot of people do not like Jon Krakauer, but I thought it was a fairly unbiased read. But what do I know...
Krakauer does his research! A Perfect Storm describes all the different ways you can die from drowning. Good stuff to think about during long, open water swims...

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

Old 08-14-2014, 09:37 PM
Rising Sun member

Default What books ya'all reading?

Some more:

Read The Men Who United the States by Simon Winchester. I felt bad that a Brit (expatriate) was writing so knowledgeably about the history of the United States, including things I had never heard of before. But he's a scholar and I'm not - and he's an American citizen now so he knew where to place his allegiance

Seven Years in Tibet by Heinrich Harrer

Tried reading (rather listening) to War and Peace. Made it about two chapters before I got bored of it. Meh

Barrow's Boys by Fergus Fleming, more Northwest Passage narratives but also some about the British quest to find the source of the Niger in Africa, all driven, apparently, by John Barrow.

Over the Edge of the World by Laurence Bergreen, the story of the first circumnavigation of the world by the crew of Ferdinand Magellan from 1519-1522. It was probably bad timing to read it after so many other sailing, discovery and navigation-related books, but it was given to me and I didn't have anything else to read at the time. I need a change of topics so I think I will be looking at some of the books mentioned above.

Also reading Ruthless Trust by Brennan Manning
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD

Last edited by subzali; 08-16-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:13 PM
Rising Sun Member

http://www.amazon.com/Man-Who-Never-...words=joe+hill

A fascinating time in our country, and the Wobblies were an amazing phenomenon in their own right.

...and a stone cold travesty what happened to Joe Hill....

Dan