Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-27-2010, 05:59 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Default E-Locker issues

My E-locker has decided to poop out on me. I'm 99% sure that my ecu that Seldom Seen provided (I think that it is a trailer ecu of some kind) has gone bad. No 12v to the motor in either lock or unlock and it has good voltage inputs to the ecu from the switch. Trouble is I can't get a hold of Seldom Seen to see where he got the ECU or even what kind of ecu it is. Anyone have any ideas for a replacement? I know there are more than a few in our club with e-lockers in their Mini's.

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988 Hilux, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"RedChili"-1987 Super Beast

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 01-27-2010, 06:29 PM
Hard Core 4+

I don't have any ECU's, to much money. Mine are done with 4 relays and on/off/on switches. One I got from ORS and the other I had in the rig already. You can come by and copy mine if you want. They are much better and more reliable than the ECU style set up and cheaper.

Last year my front went out and I just used the rear wiring to unlock it and then work it for the rest of the trip. I now carry two extra relays with me as I did before but these have been tested.

LMK if you want to take a look at my set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 01-27-2010, 08:37 PM
Hard Core 4+

It should not be difficult to find an ECU from a Taco or something else. Like Tom is doing, a set of relays can do the same thing, but is not plug and play. I would first borrow one from someone to make sure that is your issue and not some typical Toyota ground issue. I will ask around as well.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:09 PM
Rising Sun Member

Home brewed, 3 relays, 1 resistor. I'll be around all weekend, I'm on-call :-( , I'll give ya call. Sorry I missed your call, couldn't break out to make a personal call to save my life.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:27 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seldom Seen View Post
Home brewed, 3 relays, 1 resistor. I'll be around all weekend, I'm on-call :-( , I'll give ya call. Sorry I missed your call, couldn't break out to make a personal call to save my life.
No prob Brian. I think I'll break open that box today and see what I can see

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988 Hilux, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 01-28-2010, 01:32 PM
Hard Core 4+

I was with him when he wired it.

Mebbe a relay gone bad. More likely, a fuse?
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:41 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Nope fuses are good and getting my 12V signals to the lock/free position switches the power motor relays must have gone bad.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:52 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
I was with him when he wired it.

Mebbe a relay gone bad. More likely, a fuse?
My bet is gumed up limiting switches in the motor. A couple of dunkings and some mag cl will put then out of service ASAP.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:31 PM
Hard Core 4+

My motor contacts were rusted away, I made some of my own and it held up for two years. I found a new motor and swapped it out but the own I fixed still worked. Justin you can take the motor and electrical part apart pretty easily and take a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 01-31-2010, 01:58 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

ended up finding this. pretty handy and simple:

E-locker wiring