Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-28-2010, 12:54 PM
Rock Stacker

Question Locker Question

Looking at install a PowerTrax Locker in my FJ40. Just wondering if anybody has one and how it works for them. Also, should I install it in the front or rear diff. if I only am installing one? Any comments are appreciated

Mbella1
Old 01-28-2010, 12:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

Welcome to the forum.

Install in the rear diff. Auto lockers can make steering tough when in the front.

'85 FJ60
Old 01-28-2010, 05:04 PM
Hard Core 4+

Welcome. Second the rear.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbella1 View Post
Looking at install a PowerTrax Locker in my FJ40. Just wondering if anybody has one and how it works for them. Also, should I install it in the front or rear diff. if I only am installing one? Any comments are appreciated

Mbella1
Is this a lock-rite that you are looking at? If it is, I have the same in the rear of my FJ40. I have noticed a difference when on the trail. I am able to go slower in places where I used to have to rely on momentum. When you consider that more power is needed for momentum and more power stresses the equipment (particularly when spinning wheels hit the ground) it follows that being able to slow down is better. Control of the vehicle is also better when it is moving slower. The on road manners of the truck are very different, but it does not take long to get used to it. Ideally, a selectable locker gives you control over when you are locked - but for the cost a lunch box locker is a worthy investment considering the improvement over an open diff when you are off road.

There are several in the club with the lunch box locker; lock-rite, aussie locker. I'm sure they'll chime up with their thoughts. The first one installed should be a rear locker.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 01-28-2010, 06:46 PM
Hard Core 4+

I'd lock the rear too. There is so much weight in the front with that 2f that there is hardly a time where I have had the front spin. Now the rear with the top off is another story...

Drew

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 01-28-2010, 08:28 PM
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the comments. I am looking at a PowerTrax System, not a Lock Right. Both are made by Richmond, I think they recently released the PowerTrax. Sounds like it works like a limited slip until you need it. The price is pretty good if it works like they say. Anyway, I will let you all know after it's in.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:42 AM
Rising Sun member

That one is different than a lot of people install in their trucks - most people go with a Lockright or Aussie Locker. These are both full lockers, not limited slip (though they ratchet on high-traction surfaces to reduce strain on drivetrain components). The limreited slip you are looking at will significantly increase traction, but in extreme situations where you are running into your axles being crossed, tire in the air, or low friction surfaces, it may lose its effectiveness. One way to aid this is to press on the brake a little bit (counter-intuitive I know) to help regain some traction. The on-road manners should be better than a Lockright-type locker, however. There should be less pulling, banging, etc. The other thing about posi type differentials is they usually require special oil that has to be replaced more often, and if it's a clutch pack type then the clutch discs wear out eventually and it doesn't do anything any more. What kinds of needs are you expecting to use it for?
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 01-29-2010, 11:03 AM
Rock Stacker

Matt,
I use it to plow snow at times. also as a recreational driver. Plan on doing more 4 wheeling this summer than in the past, but I don't want the problems that most lockers can cause. I understand what your saying about braking to gain traction. I talked to a Richmond Rep and he said no special fluids or new ring and pinion setup are required. He also said they desigend this unit to grab like a locker but drive like an open diff. I think I am going to go with it and be the guinea pig. I will let you know how it works. I am planning on going to MOAB, so that will be my test run. Thanks for your help.

Marc
Old 01-29-2010, 12:12 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default limited slip = limited traction

Welcome to the forum.

I would put it in the front since you'll want a full locking differential of some kind in the rear after you discover the limited slip just isn't cuttin' it.

"Limited slip equals limited traction." -Ryan Sigworth a.k.a. "Smartboy"

My real advice? Hold out for a selectable rear locker. Keep savin' your money up until you can ARB it. You are actually pretty close if you have the bread for the lockers you are looking at. Especially if you consider used equipment.

REVISED COMMENTS:
Revised thoughts:
http://www.sporttruck.com/techarticl...tem/index.html
Well, look at that, it will lock 100% like the lockright. It just won't bang like a lockright. It will have the added drivetrain backlash like a lockright.
So, sure, put it in the back now and try it out!

Last edited by leiniesred; 01-29-2010 at 12:39 PM. Reason: self-education
Old 01-29-2010, 12:16 PM
Rising Sun Member

is this the one you are talking about?

http://www.powertrax.com/powertrax/nsexploded.html

I think it's pretty much the same as the aussie or lockrite.. it does look liek it has a few more doodads in it though.
82 FJ40