Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 01-29-2010, 12:19 PM
Rock Stacker

Yes, that's the one. I think it sounds like a good application for 4 wheel drives. I know the ARB is great, but $495.00 also sounds great compared to $1500.00.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:08 PM
Lifted

This debate always comes up with the same results, everyone recommends the rear. With your intended use (nothing hardcore) either end would work fine, however, I'll offer the alternative viewpoint.

A non-selectable locker will cause handling issues on the road (maybe not so much with the model you're choosing). Installed in the rear you have handling issues 100% of the time. Installed in the front you only have handling issues when you're in 4wd.

The other question on placement is which end gives you a better traction improvement when off road. When do you lose traction on the rear? That would be when it un-weights, which would going downhill. How much traction help do you need going downhill? Not much, gravity works. On the other hand, you lose front traction when going uphill, thats when you need the most help. I lift front wheels all the time, hardly ever lift the rear.

The argument for rear locker is that thats where all the weight is transfered, so it has the best traction, so that's where you should put the locker. That's totally backwards logic to me. It has the traction, it's the front that needs the help.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:03 PM
Rock Stacker

You have a great point, looking back on when I have been bogged bown or stuck, one of the front tires has lost traction, usually the right front. You know how it goes, left rear falls in a hole and right front lifts and your stuck. Thought I had made up my mind until your post. If the locker works as described I don't think I will have the normal issues of binding and popping, but what they say and what really happens is a crap shoot. I guess I will think about it a little more before I order the unit. Thanks again!
Old 01-29-2010, 10:21 PM
Rising Sun Member

I'd still vote for the rear...With an open diff, either end, once one tire loses traction that is it. If the left rear goes in a hole and unloads the right rear, it doesn't matter what the front is doing so much, especially if you are going UP a hill and the front is already mostly unloaded as it is.

Valid point about the locker being in the front and only having handling issues when locked. But unless you ONLY lock the front hubs when offroad I'd be concerned when the handling issue could bite you...say driving around town, in the snow, with the front hubs locked in, and going around a corner with a little power - Bad time to have your front end lock up on you and make steering a bear IMO.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 01-30-2010, 08:27 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
If the left rear goes in a hole and unloads the right rear, it doesn't matter what the front is doing so much, especially if you are going UP a hill and the front is already mostly unloaded
If you're going uphill and the left rear goes in a hole, the right rear doesn't unload, the right front does. So both rear tires are fine, but you've got a light right front. Guess where you need the locker?
Old 01-31-2010, 09:07 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

I would not put one in the front unless you have ps. Also be familiar with birfield service in the field. There have been very, very few times i wish i had a front locker in my 70 running 33's and smaller
TLCA#4180

Last edited by wesintl; 01-31-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:20 AM
Hard Core 4+

I'd put it in the rear and eventually put an ARB in the front. I have ARBs F&R and generally lock the rear mucm more often than the front. I'll second the "know field birfield service" comment if you put the locker in the front.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:39 AM
Lifted

Very good point on the birf's. Since I've gotten Longfields I sometimes forget about that. Put a locker in the front and anything bigger than, oh say, 32's, and you'll be replacing birfs more frequently than oil changes. And the power steering comment is also valid, I forget about that too

Like I said, I have the minority viewpoint and I never convince the overwhelming majority of people of my reasoning, but I still stand by it and can't figure out why no one else can see it.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:39 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Why not buy the Lock Right and put it in the rear instead of the limited slip? I've run one since 2001 in my FJ40 and it's been great.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:30 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamextreme View Post
Very good point on the birf's. Since I've gotten Longfields I sometimes forget about that. Put a locker in the front and anything bigger than, oh say, 32's, and you'll be replacing birfs more frequently than oil changes. And the power steering comment is also valid, I forget about that too

Like I said, I have the minority viewpoint and I never convince the overwhelming majority of people of my reasoning, but I still stand by it and can't figure out why no one else can see it.
I have a Birfield Eliminator Kit that has chromo axles and I still worry about having the front locked when the wheels are not pointed straight ahead. Then again, I generally apply too much of the skinny pedal.