Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 09-19-2014, 01:53 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default 96 Taco rear springs - overload options

A buddy of mine has a regular cab '96-ish Taco and occasionally puts a four-seasons slide-in camper in the bed. Needless to say, this puts a big negative arch on the rear leaf springs and it rides poorly. The rear springs are OEM, 3 thin leaves and one very thick bottom leaf. 180K on the truck, so they are likely tired anyway.

What kind of air spring or lift spring can he use for this short-term load condition? According to Amazon, Timbren doesn't make a rubber donut (the technical term) for this purpose. Should he get another stiff leaf? I'm not a Taco guy and don't know what to suggest that is cheap and easy. I think custom springs are not going to be his bag - he'll want to stick with an easier bolt-on solution.

thanks - Steve
Old 09-19-2014, 05:06 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Do they still make those shocks that you can fill with compressed air to level your ride?
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

Firestone air helper springs FOR SURE. It's the most versatile option reasonable cost and reliable.

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 09-19-2014, 08:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

x2 on bags. Best way to go to retain a good non loaded ride and good control when loaded.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 09-20-2014, 06:35 AM
Hard Core 4+

I assume the camper is not light, so air bags are probably the right option for occasional heavy loads.

But FWIW medium OME springs ride alright unloaded. That would increase payload about 400 lbs over factory. That is essentially what I run since removing a leaf (originally 4 main + 3 progressive overload, now 3+3) to lower them. I ride a couple of inches over stock and cranked torsions match. With the WilderNest removed I toss in 2 or 3 sand tubes as ballast to take the edge off.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 09-20-2014, 07:36 AM
Rising Sun Member

I have Firestone Ride Rites on my 2013 Taco and they work great. Best option for sure. T

"13" Taco 4X4 Extra Cab, Firestone Air Ride, Airstream tow vehicle - "Daily Driver"
Old 09-21-2014, 07:36 AM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks for all the suggestions! - Steve
Old 09-21-2014, 08:31 AM
Rising Sun Member

So, do you also need a compressor?

http://www.truckspring.com/products/...ear__2410.aspx

Good price?

Old 09-21-2014, 11:45 AM
Rising Sun Member

That's a pretty average price. Amazon is about the same with free shipping. You do need a compressor, but it doesn't have to be on board air. My air springs hold psi well and I just fill em at home. Or carry a Harbor Freight 12v one.

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 09-21-2014, 07:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

My Dad has a 2001 Taco that he has had an overload leaf spring on for the last 10 years or so, and a whole plot of miles. Rides just fine when unloaded, and handles bigger loads much better (he hauls a lot of rocks in it).

Simple, and effective. I think it was a Downey product.

Dan