Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 04-16-2006, 07:31 PM
Rising Sun member

Default Subzali's Turn Signal Problem

depending on how you look at it. Didn't go climbing, didn't really get to hang out with my sister or one of my other friends, but I succeeded in procrastinating my homework! Started out near Castle Rock, swung by Hatfield's place (thanks again Chris!) to pick up a relay that I was going to use to troubleshoot. Then I got wind of Mike's project today so swung by his place to give him a hand/pick his brains. After helping him remove his windshield frame (I hope the disassembly stopped soon after that ) and looking at a couple LVs and stealing another relay, I was off. Now here's where it got fun. I hate wiring, but I guess I'm forcing myself to like it since it can do cool stuff, and somehow when it all works then it makes sense...

...But I didn't get my turn signals fixed . The colors in the manual weren't matching up with what I had (and I think this stuff is all original...it doesn't look like it's been messed with much, a couple were just spliced at some point), so I chased wires around trying to find continuity and voltages all day. I don't think there is anything wrong with my turn signal switch (even though I don't get how it works...more later) or my hazard switch (three of nine wires get 12V with or without the brakes applied, not sure if this is right or not). But when I flip the turn signal switch nothing happens. No noise, no lights, nothing. I have a bunch of drawings/pics that I'll load and refer to (out of space on mud ), but I think it may have to do with this first one: This wire *I think* was hooked up to the aftermarket relay that the pos had, but I don't where it is supposed to go. It originates in the turn signal switch, and it appears to me like it's the missing link between 12V and ground through the lights...opinions?
Attached Images

Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD

Last edited by subzali; 10-11-2006 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

When you hook up the wiring to the lights, the ground is key. Improper ground at either end will cause your lights not to work.

For example, if you have the OEM rear lights properly wired, put not installed it will not work because it relies on the metal to metal contact of the assembly installed to provide the ground.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 04-16-2006, 07:52 PM
Rising Sun member

Now, I'm pretty sure all my ground are good and all my bulbs are good, but even if they weren't it sounds from what I've read that I'd have different symptoms anyway. So in trying to understand this system, let me start at the turn signal switch: For those of you who've been in here you know what this is depicting: the wires soldered to the wafer inside the switch. The three sliders each connect between two of the points, and I showed how they are positioned at each position of the turn signal switch. Can anybody confirm this as well as the colors? Now what I don't understand is how this accomplishes anything, because the dots that aren't labelled are that way because they aren't connected to anything: it would seem to me as if there is an open circuit. But if this is way they're supposed to be then so be it; I don't think and I hope that I'm not missing any small pieces to this system. There is also no common power supply that the switch would redirect; The left position is connected to completey different wires than the right position.
Attached Images

Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
Old 04-16-2006, 07:58 PM
Rising Sun member

10-4 Ken, that was definitely the first thing I thought of. But they were all working last summer just fine, and I didn't change anything with the wiring at the lights...there was just some stuff inside the cab/under the dash that wasn't right (and still isn't). There was an aftermarket relay hooked up that was bypassing/connecting a couple wires...I *think* it was connecting the green/white wire above and the green/blue wire shown in a picture below. But now I get nothing.
Rising Sun Bio
Old 04-16-2006, 08:42 PM
Rising Sun member

Okay, now here's the connectors down below the column. The first one has six wires coming in, but two don't pass through the connector, so the other connector has four wires coming out. As you can see, the solid green and green/orange wires both stop at the connectors. GBlack goes to GP (green/purple) or stays GBlack, not quite sure. GB is GBlue, I found that GR turns to GY and carries 12V. Now it just came to me that I don't know where GR originates (I thought it came from the column but I can't confirm); I'll have to look at that tomorrow.
Attached Images

Rising Sun Bio
Old 04-16-2006, 08:54 PM
Rising Sun member

The above drawing with the two prongs is the connector for the relay and shows the colors of wires going to it. I don't know where those two wires go, all I know is that they both carry a consistent 12V when the ignition is on. So I guess basically what I'm looking for here is anybody to confirm what I've found here, or maybe give insight as to where these wires go/what they do. So basically I'm trying to trace from the turn signal switch and find what link I'm missing from this sequence. Or any other ideas? I'm hoping that I went to all the extra trouble just for fun and it's just as simple as hooking up that green/white wire to the correct location. Or something.
Rising Sun Bio
Old 04-16-2006, 11:51 PM
Rising Sun Member

Matt,

I've got a wiring harness from a '78 I'm not using if you want to try that.

Old 04-17-2006, 07:13 AM
Rising Sun member

Hm...I may have to use that as another troubleshooting tool if I don't figure out what's going on. This week is going to suck for me, and I guess I don't really know when I'm going to have a chance to work on the Cruiser again. Man I hate school. If I get super desperate then I'll keep you in mind, thanks again Chris.
Rising Sun Bio
Old 06-20-2006, 05:58 PM
Rising Sun member

GR above which turns into GY is for the horn; got that much figured out now after tearing into it. Oh yeah I'm resurrecting this thread; it's my best resource right now
Rising Sun Bio
Old 06-20-2006, 10:35 PM
Rising Sun member

Hm....GY-GY is connected to GW on the turn signal relay; there's about 22 ohms between them. I was going to check the voltage on it but then got called to go climbing, it's going to have to wait
Rising Sun Bio