Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-21-2006, 05:43 PM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali
Hm....GY-GY is connected to GW on the turn signal relay; there's about 22 ohms between them.
Were you able to investigate the location (and thus possibly the reason for) the change in stripe colors?
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 06-21-2006, 10:16 PM
Rising Sun member

No Jeff I didn't; the GW at the relay disappears into the wiring harness and through the firewall. Unfortunately Chris's wiring harness hasn't been much help either like I was hoping (but thanks again Chris anyway, I really owe you some for going to the extra trouble to get it to me), all the wire colors are different it seems, or else I have no clue what I'm looking at, which is completely possible . Anyway I still can't figure out why three of the seven wires that come down the steering column just die at the first connector; I can't find their matches anywhere under the dash.

The other thing I can't figure out is at the switch. Moving the switch up and down results in different wires having continuity, but it doesn't seem to me to be in a logical fashion. Nothing at the switch carries a voltage when the key is on, so I don't understand how that makes sense. My problem right now is that I don't know what data I need to collect or how to go about collecting it to find where my problem is; again I'm going to check on a ground problem, but before I can do that I need to make sure everything is hooked up right, which I'm positive it's not. I need to figure out the under-dash stuff before I address the ground problems. I don't know, speaking of that maybe the reason I don't have voltage at the switch is because one of the wires is shorted out somewhere in the harness; but that STILL doesn't explain the three disappearing wires.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 06-29-2006, 08:11 PM
Rising Sun member

Okay, probably a stupid question: I switched the two wires that sit on the fender and turned the headlights on: instead of the side and top lights of the turn signals being on the turn signal light was on - does that mean my ground is good or does that not tell me anything? I'll post up some pics. Also it looks like the rear turn signals ground through the bulb/housing, as there's no return ground wire like on the fronts, is that correct?

Top: Correct lighting configuration
Middle: Wires that I switched
Bottom: Turn signal light on, means the bulb is good and the ground is good??
Attached Images

1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches

Last edited by subzali; 06-29-2006 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:21 PM
Rising Sun member

BTW can anybody with a mid to late 70s FJ40 (or anybody with an FJ40) crawl under their dash and take out the connector with the six wires going into it that I posted on the first page and either take a picture of it or tell me what colors of wires are going in and out of it? Romer, Zepp, Farr, Treeroot?

This one here:
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2006, 08:40 PM
Rising Sun member

It also looks like the Gblack and Gyellow that are on the wiring harness side of the big connector are always hot: I touch them to the wiring harness side of the horn and the horn goes off. Green-yellow appears to match up with the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual for the right turn lamp; green-black appears to match up with the Haynes manual for the left turn lamp. Does it make sense that the wiring harness sides of these two are always hot?
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2006, 11:15 AM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

Quote:
Okay, probably a stupid question: I switched the two wires that sit on the fender and turned the headlights on: instead of the side and top lights of the turn signals being on the turn signal light was on - does that mean my ground is good or does that not tell me anything? I'll post up some pics. Also it looks like the rear turn signals ground through the bulb/housing, as there's no return ground wire like on the fronts, is that correct?

Top: Correct lighting configuration
Middle: Wires that I switched
Bottom: Turn signal light on, means the bulb is good and the ground is good??
Clearly the top photo is the correct wiring, and it appears that you have a good ground. You can always jumper direct from the threaded metal turn signal mount under the fender direct to battery negaive terminal and see if it makes any difference.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:20 AM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

Quote:
BTW can anybody with a mid to late 70s FJ40 (or anybody with an FJ40) crawl under their dash and take out the connector with the six wires going into it that I posted on the first page and either take a picture of it or tell me what colors of wires are going in and out of it? Romer, Zepp, Farr, Treeroot?

This one here:
My 7604 harness is in a bag. I can pull it out, see if I can identify that connector and photograph it. When I removed it from the rig, I labeled every connector with what it was plugged in to. I also have a harness from a 1977, unknown month of manufacture. Mike and Ken's would be 78, Matt's would be 81. There are so many changes from year to year and even by production month, it would be hard to know whether the configuration and colors would be exactly the same as yours. What month production is yours? And do you know if it is CA spec or federal spec?
Old 06-30-2006, 08:37 PM
Rising Sun member

Thanks Jeff, the reason I asked if anybody could take pictures is because the wiring is exactly the same at LEAST back to '75...but my Haynes doesn't have a wiring diagram for a '78. I got the '78 from Hatfield and it looks like it's different, but I was just hoping to confirm. I thought Ken's was a '77 too? Mine's a 10/76 ('77 model year) Federal spec. Thanks again all for the help! Now I just gotta get a M12 x 1.25 tap so I can install my long-needed and today-acquired seatbelts...of course the finest that Americans think M12 goes is 1.50...
Old 06-30-2006, 10:53 PM
Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant

Quote:
Thanks Jeff, the reason I asked if anybody could take pictures is because the wiring is exactly the same at LEAST back to '75...but my Haynes doesn't have a wiring diagram for a '78. I got the '78 from Hatfield and it looks like it's different, but I was just hoping to confirm. I thought Ken's was a '77 too? Mine's a 10/76 ('77 model year) Federal spec. Thanks again all for the help! Now I just gotta get a M12 x 1.25 tap so I can install my long-needed and today-acquired seatbelts...of course the finest that Americans think M12 goes is 1.50...
I might have that size tap... I'll check Monday

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 07-01-2006, 11:57 AM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

Quote:
YQW. Every year was a little different, and as I mentioned, they would sometimes change in mid-production year. And there are differences between federal and CA spec from about 74 or so through about 81 or 82. The main differences through the late 70s 40 harnesses are in emissions component connections, and it seems likely that the turn signal stuff might be pretty similar if not the same within only a few years or months difference. I'll go check mine later today and post back up, k?