Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 02-04-2010, 10:47 AM
Hard Core 4+

That Addicted Offroad design looks to be the most rigid of the bunch. It would also protect a bit better at a very slight loss of departure angle... MAYbe...
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:06 AM
Rising Sun Commander

A spare does fit with the All Pro.. but it is a little tricky to lower it as there's not as big of a gap between the top of the bumper and the bottom of the tailgate. So you can't assemble the whole thing in front of you then shove it in- you have to assemble the pieces that need to be behind the bumper, behind the bumper.

Quote:
The factory spare tire will mount under truck with our Tacoma bumpers, however, access to spare tire lowering crank is limited.
http://www.allprooffroad.com/9504tac...504rearbumpers

www.gamiviti.com

Old 02-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
A spare does fit with the All Pro.. but it is a little tricky to lower it as there's not as big of a gap between the top of the bumper and the bottom of the tailgate. So you can't assemble the whole thing in front of you then shove it in- you have to assemble the pieces that need to be behind the bumper, behind the bumper.
The way the Taco and the Hilux bumpers mount up are different and the tailgate/apron/frame/bumper configuration isn't quite identical between them. It's possible that what applies to the Tacoma bumper does not to the Hilux. Not sayin' the All Pro doesn't work but that's not the first time I've heard it. I believe it's got to do with the receiver tube IIRC. If you look closely the Addicted and the Marlin have a second hoop that extends back to support the receiver. The All Pro pushes it in to make a cleaner departure angle. That sits where the spare wants. I think it's possible to squeeze in a factory 28" sized spare, but not 31" or bigger.

“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” -- Kenneth E. Boulding
Old 02-04-2010, 12:09 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Ah so!

www.gamiviti.com

Old 02-04-2010, 03:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

Glad to hear you are ok, and will be getting a new bumper out of it

I'm no help on bumpers but back in high school, I had a friend rear end me in my 1982 Toyota PU...Truck was lifted, she was driving a Chevette.

I had to brake hard at a light, she wasn't paying attention, rear end of my truck lifted a bit and under she went...I had a couple friends riding in the back to boot that crawled to the tailgate and peered over, right into her face ...We laughed about it afterwards but my bumper ended up about 6" away from her windshield, the rear leaf springs poked in through her hood, etc. I had to lock the truck into 4WD to drive off her Chevette because my rear wheels ended up off the ground...

Sadly, I didn't get a new bumper out of the deal...My existing chrome OEM one survived the ordeal just fine
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 02-04-2010, 11:51 PM

Jeff,
That is probably exactly what happened to me. I saw a little bit more damage this morning.

Now I need to have someone to follow me to see if it is tracking properly. I am sure the insurance company will want me to take the truck to one of their "trusted" body shops. How will this work with my after market bumper and springs (if they need to be replaced)? Should I let my insurance company handle all this for me so they can fight with his if need be?

Bill,

Once again, I am agreeing with you.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:19 AM
Hard Core 4+

Nah, that's no biggie. Straighten the overload (block of wood and a 3 lbs hammer!) and it'll be fine until you can get the spring off to replace or repair. You can fix that spring pack pretty easily unless the springs are actually bent.

They can even be fixed if they break in two...
http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/s...marlin+welding

You could have the other person's insurance adjuster look at the damage if they want, but I would just suggest to the other person that a new bumper and springs might be a few hundred dollars and see if they just want to cut you a check instead of involving insurance. I would go over the truck well in the daylight to make sure you haven't missed anything else, though.

“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” -- Kenneth E. Boulding
Old 02-23-2010, 12:41 AM

Default Update!

Ok, time for an update. I decided to let my insurance handle everything so they can deal with his insurance. I took my truck over to Hanks West. I printed out the Trail-Gear/Addicted Offroad info. They are going to fix my spring and use the TG bumper. Once they get it, paint it, they will call me for the install. Very smooth transaction!

Now, about Hanks! If you ever get a chance, go get a tour!!! Holy Cow! That place is huge and high tech! Very professional and family owned. I hope I never need to use them agian, but if the need arises, I won't look elsewhere.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:23 AM
Hard Core 4+

Just FYI:
http://www.hanksautobody.com/
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:49 AM
Wincher

I've seen that bumper in person and was actually impressed. At least you ended up with something cool outta the deal.