Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 02-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Rising Sun Commander

#8 is dirt in the thing by your shoulder. Seriously, pull the belt back and see how dirty it is. remove that dirt and the belt is faster.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 02-05-2010, 09:34 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Bait View Post
How do you do #5 and #7? And also #14? Oh, and why do I have a sour fuel smell near the fuel filler door? The gas cap seems to be holding pressure.
#5: pull door panel, cut back plastic, then clean and lube the window tracks and lifting mechanisms.

#7: Check to see if that plastic rain gutter thing is coming off- if so, glue it down or remove it. if that doesn't work, turn up stereo.

#14: you got me there.

gas smell: It's your charcoal canister, will be worse when idling a lot in hot weather. Only real options are buy a new one, or just live with it.

hey this has turned into a sweet tech thread!

www.gamiviti.com

Old 02-15-2010, 04:57 PM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hants View Post
I'd put them in this order (as budget permits):

0. Baseline maintenance (tune-up, fluids, front axle service, lube, etc.)
1. CDL switch
2. Pin 7 mod
3. Transfer case skid plate
4. Basic recovery gear (shackles, yank strap, jack)
5. Sliders
6. 33" tires (with new speedo gear)
7. 2.5" lift

(sky's the limit)
Hey guys! Name's Tim. I'm the "friend" that Loren mentioned to start this thread. Thanks for all the great advice and insight. I currently have 4,5,6,7 on the above list and I am working on baselining it. I pulled the dash and am ready to install the CDL switch, but Slee is out and won't have any in for about a month. Any suggestions on where else to locate? Also will be doing the 7 pin mod once I get the CDL hooked up. Thanks again! I'm sure I'll be back for more input and suggestions.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:03 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugEater View Post
Hey guys! Name's Tim. I'm the "friend" that Loren mentioned to start this thread. Thanks for all the great advice and insight. I currently have 4,5,6,7 on the above list and I am working on baselining it. I pulled the dash and am ready to install the CDL switch, but Slee is out and won't have any in for about a month. Any suggestions on where else to locate? Also will be doing the 7 pin mod once I get the CDL hooked up. Thanks again! I'm sure I'll be back for more input and suggestions.
Hi Tim - We got several "Tims" here so that and the fact you know Loren must mean you're a good fella

If you want a "real" CDL switch then you should be able to order one from your favorite Toyota dealership or Cruiserdan on MUD (parts guru at American Toyota down in NM that gives IH8MUD.com folks a good discount). Other sources are ebay and the IH8MUD classifieds sometimes.

You can also use a hazard switch (same switch, just a different label basically) which can typically be had for a lot less. Just make sure you know which one is which...

You can go ahead and get the pin 7 mod done in the mean time. Just know that when you shift into low range the center diff won't automatically lock. Not an issue unless you are planning to drop a drive shaft soon or go offroad and need to lock the center diff
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 02-15-2010, 06:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

#5 Tim is correct, but it will never be perfect. I replaced all but the guides and it is slow in the cold. I will put new guides in soon. Silicone does help.

#7 is the sunroof gasket. Took me a long time to find that one. You can either replace the rubber (expensive) or stick something in between the gasket to make it tighter. The forums all like RJ11 phone cord because it is flat and cheap.

#8 Nakman is correct....all that is needed is to clean the belt. You can also get a fix it kit from Toyota that reduces the friction where the belt goes past the plastic. It is nothing more than some sticky felt stuff.

#10 Corbet got it, ice on the slider.

#14 to my knowledge has never been figured out....All 80s do it.

The charcoal canister can be purged per the FSM. Don't blow out the one way valve but you can put X amount of psi to the can and clear it out. I'll have to look it up but it is either the purge or the tank line. I blew in it...the correct one blows out the bottom drain tube.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 02-15-2010, 07:13 PM
Rising Sun Member

My add would be the Slee headlight harness....well worth the less than $40. HIR's if you'd like even brighter, but the harness itself it a HUGE improvement to your night vision!!!

Throttle body cleaning would be a great baseline activity...helps your idle and just about every other aspect of how your truck runs.

And, one I still need to do...very low on the list until I do the Temp Gauge Mod...fix the D light that is burned out in the dash!!!

Oh yah...add at least a CB radio so you can go on club runs!
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"
Old 02-15-2010, 08:28 PM
Rock Stacker

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARGEONE View Post
My add would be the Slee headlight harness....well worth the less than $40. HIR's if you'd like even brighter, but the harness itself it a HUGE improvement to your night vision!!!

Throttle body cleaning would be a great baseline activity...helps your idle and just about every other aspect of how your truck runs.

And, one I still need to do...very low on the list until I do the Temp Gauge Mod...fix the D light that is burned out in the dash!!!

Oh yah...add at least a CB radio so you can go on club runs!
Got the CB, just need to figure out where to mount the radio and the antenna. Any suggestions? Also, my cats need to be replaced soon. While doing that I thought I'd re-route the exhaust from the cats OVER the frame back to the muffler and replace the muffler in the process. Got a price from a shop for $500. Sound reasonable?
'96 FZJ80, Stock, 250K
Old 02-15-2010, 10:47 PM
Trail Ready

Default The 3 most bestest mods for a lx

1. Truck Nuts
2. Another Cupholder
3. Mall Cruiser Sticker
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2010, 11:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugEater View Post
Got the CB, just need to figure out where to mount the radio and the antenna. Any suggestions?
http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/tz_uniden.htm

If you bought a small enough CB, this is a perfect place to install it. Can be done in a way that you can put everything back to stock should you ever need/want to
TLCA #17037

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

Old 02-15-2010, 11:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calphi27 View Post
3. Mall Cruiser Sticker
Nah, he has a LX so he needs one of these

Name:  ltt_sticker.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  22.3 KB
TLCA #17037

: