Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 02-06-2010, 09:09 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Default Wagon Gear tailgate storage?

A year or so back when these came out a lot of you guys got on the list.. who's got theirs? I just got an email that I'm "close," and I know I was pretty far down there which means you guys either have yours or you lost interest right?

I know Marco has one.. I need to decide what kind of latches to get, and am generally curious if you are still happy with the product. http://www.wagongear.com/Home.html

Also Martin this is where I got the hinge flip kit for my Engel fridge, and still very happy with that.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 02-06-2010, 09:34 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Also Martin this is where I got the hinge flip kit for my Engel fridge, and still very happy with that.
Tim,
when you mounted the hinges did you use screws or bolts? If bolts did they protrude into the fridge? Just curious how it looks, I would like to have the side opening instead with a solid hinge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 02-06-2010, 09:34 AM
Rising Sun Secretary

Send a message via Yahoo to CBone

I installed mine two weekends ago. I do like it, definitely a high quality product and great idea, but there are a few things about it. For the price, you're not gaining much storage--some fluids, some rags, a tow strap or two. It also adds substantial weight to the tailgate, not a big deal really, but as Crash pointed out, it can be tough for the in our lives to slam the tailgate shut when it's all full of gear.
TLCA#11073
Old 02-06-2010, 09:52 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Carlton good thoughts, hadn't considered the weight. Was thinking this would be a good spot for the air hose, maybe a strap, and some diapers.. i will keep the snatch block and fluids inside somewhere else.

Tom the hinges just use big self-tapping screws. They're every bit as good as what you'll remove from the old hinges, the hard part is just committing on that first one they don't poke into the fridge.
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com

Old 02-06-2010, 10:23 AM
Hard Core 4+

I could have had mine a year ago but price prevented me. The 80 series unit has gotten out of control. Something like $500 now with his improvments and options I want. I still want one but other things are coming first. JT has one in his 60. The quality of construction is worth the money.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 02-06-2010, 10:28 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
I could have had mine a year ago but price prevented me. The 80 series unit has gotten out of control. Something like $500 now with his improvments and options I want. I still want one but other things are coming first. JT has one in his 60. The quality of construction is worth the money.
So it's not $360 shipped, like the web site says? I have an email in to ask if the latches cost extra... if they do then yeah I may just lose interest.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 02-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Nakman,

I just sent Kevin a Paypal when I saw your thread. I have been on the list for awhile and my name came up last week. I went with the stainless steel locking latches and powdercoat. I decided not to go with the grippy plastic because it is hard to clean. Kevin said those with dogs may want it though. The stainless steel latches were worth the extra 90 for me because I prefer not to do things twice. If you look at the locking vs non locking, the locking ones have slightly less room for your fingers. I will try mine with gloves on but it should work either way.

The 80 lid is $325
Powder coat is $15
No grip plastic needed - $15 if you go that route
The stainless latches are $90
shipping is $30

$460 shipped

http://forum.ih8mud.com/wagongear/32...ch-thread.html
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 02-06-2010, 11:30 AM
Rising Sun Member

Mine was the basic model with the plastic lid, no powder coating, and what he shows as his basic latches on his site now. I have been really happy with it, and I use it every time I wheel since I keep my air hose in there. First one he sent he forgot to weld a few spots, so I called him. He sent me a new one no questions asked that day along with a return lable for the one I had. Really nice guy. Really nice.

It has been durable too, I drag 3rd members over it, driveshafts, axles, tool boxes, slam the fridge down on it, and stand on it quite a bit. The paint on the frame is scratched kinda, but that'd be expected. The lid has done well, and the latches are good. So far so good.

In mine I have My tree strap, 20' snatch strap, pulley, heavy gloves, three shackles, tire puncture plug kit (big one), my 25' air hose, a quart of gear oil, quart of motor oil, brake fluid(small bottle) half a roll of blue rags, some bug spray, random wiring, electrical tape, and some sun block.

I think it hold quite a bit, but it is heavy. With the truck being the height that it is i can bend my knees and get under it with one arm pretty easily to slam it shut with one hand. Allison says "it's heavy.. but I can do it..". Only problem is a few times people that didn't know it was that heavy opened it and let it drop. I cringed, but so far it hasn't caused an issue.

The 80 ones may be a little bit smaller due to the tailgate design.. I don't know.

I really like having my straps, pulley, gloves, and d rings in there all the time. I think it's a handy spot for them.

He did increase his price on the 60 lids a few times, and has increased the price of the 80 lids over the 60 ones. I think he realized they were selling well and he could up the price a bit more.. I don't know. Either way I think it's a good product and he was a really nice guy to deal with.

I'd get another if I had an 80 or another 60. It's free space to put more crap, and I like having the back empty.
82 FJ40
Old 02-06-2010, 03:32 PM
Rising Sun Commander

well after more thought I think I'm going to pass.. this is starting to add up to real money. Anyone else with an 80 want my space in line and have me get this for you? A little more storage would be cool, but I'd rather get a second fridge this spring before Moab and it's either/or unfortunately...

www.gamiviti.com

Old 02-06-2010, 03:43 PM
Hard Core 4+

I got one last year. It is nice and well built but the tailgate is heavy. I store my air hose,axe,saw and some tie downs in it. It would not be hard to build it yourself.
71 FJ40 project
TLCA 13269
KØVRT

" Leave the chrome at home " - Uncle Ben - Rubithon 2008