Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 02-07-2010, 10:11 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks to all for the well wishes. There will be two Dr's doing the surgery...Dr. Ulrich Batzdorf and Dr. Langston Holly. Dr. Batzdorf is really the guru on Syringomyelia, but he is around 75 years old, so he has been mentoring Dr. Holly over the past 15 years. Dr. Holly is a very accomplished Neurosurgeon at UCLA Med. I was lucky enough to come across Dr. Batzdorf's name while researching my symptoms on the internet. He has really dedicated his life to this rare disorder which is why he really took an interest in my case when I sent him all of my MRI's, CTs, etc. I really am lucky that I found the best in this case.

I've had a lot of surgeries during my short life so far, but this one is the worst. Not just for the seriousness of doing surgery around the spinal cord, but more because I will not be able to pick up my little boy for three months. Doc says I shouldn't lift anything more than my toothbrush for that timeframe. The hard part is trying to keep the pressure in the spinal canal down so that it can heal up without leaking. I know how important this is because my last surgery I had a spinal headache (after the epidural puncture) for an entire month after surgery. Even two blood patches didn't fix the leak in my spinal column. It was miserable...if I lifted my head off the pillow at all, I had the equivalent (or maybe even worse) of a migrane headache for a month. It was worse than the hip replacement!!!

Anyway...thanks again for all of the offers of help. I may be calling, but hopefully I'll just chill for a few months and just get fat!!!

Hope to see y'all soon.

P
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"
Old 02-07-2010, 11:30 PM
Rising Sun Member

Best wishes for you Paul
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 02-08-2010, 06:55 AM
Rising Sun Member

Sounds like you have had more than your share of medical issues. We will be offering prayers for a speedy recovery. Terry

"13" Taco 4X4 Extra Cab, Firestone Air Ride, Airstream tow vehicle - "Daily Driver"
Old 02-08-2010, 07:35 AM
Hard Core 4+

Sounds like you have the right people looking after you.
Best wishes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:36 AM
Hard Core 4+

WOW, hope it goes well and good luck with the recovery
ige tlca #1431
Old 02-08-2010, 10:42 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Good luck, Paul. We'll keep you in our prayers.
1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WØRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:50 AM
Hard Core 4+

In my prayers!
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:11 PM
Rising Sun Member

Well...I'm home in Denver three days ahead of time!!! They released me yesterday, and I just really wanted to be home and Cary really needed to be home to properly care for her now TWO BABIES!!!

Surgery was on Monday, Feb 22nd. Surgery was supposed to start at noon and be three hours long. Turned out things were not as easy as the MRI had suggested...I went into surgery at 2:30PM and didn't get out until around 8PM. The Arachnoid Web (Cyst) was much larger than expected and was "stronger" than any they had come across so far. It was about the size of my index finger and was almost completely flattening out my spinal cord. Needless to say, if I hadn't done something, I would have been paraplegic within a couple of years. The surgery took so long because the cyst was adhered to the cord from pushing against it so they had to leave about 5% of the cyst attached to the cord. I'm glad they didn't go "messing" with this. They are unsure of what the long term affects of leaving this piece of the cyst attached, but feel it will naturally de-laminate over time and will at least allow the cord to de-compress and gain function back.

During the surgery they attached electrodes to my skull and other parts of my body and took electrical readings before, during and after. These readings drastically improved which means the conduction through my spinal cord was increased by the surgery. This is good news!!! While there is no guarantee of re-gaining function, I am hopeful with this type of data.

Thanks for the prayers! So far they are working!

Now, on to healing and getting strong again.

Paul
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"
Old 02-28-2010, 04:18 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Oh my! Paul, you have been in my familys prayers. It sounds like things went well considering the difficult procedure. You swift and complete healing will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers! Good luck Amigo and of course the offer still stands for ANY help I can provide!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-28-2010, 04:32 PM
Honorary Canuck Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bigbluefj

speedy recovery my friend...