Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 02-07-2010, 06:52 AM
Rising Sun Member

Looks great, Perry. I vote leave the diamond plate pristine. T

"13" Taco 4X4 Extra Cab, Firestone Air Ride, Airstream tow vehicle - "Daily Driver"
Old 02-07-2010, 08:31 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner View Post

I painted mine in the garage last year before Cruise Moab and yes my finger was numb for two weeks too. Who do you think gave Randy the idea to paint his rig??
WRONG, WRONG, WRONG! I painted the Blue Mule in October of 2008! Your truck wasn't painted yet because I told you about how easy rattle can was when I bought the parts washer from you.

And, his truck ain't yella it's sand, looks good too.

I would vote to paint the diamondplate. Go to Walmart and get yourself a can of self etching primer in the automotive paint section. Rough the surface slightly using a medium 3M abrasive pad. Shoot it with the primer and when dry paint as desired. The paint will stick just as good there as any where else on the truck. My 40 is aluminum diamond plate from the firewall back and the paint stuck great using this method.

Looks great Perry, nice job. But dang, now I don't get to use the new respirator I bought. I think we should have a "Rattle Can Paint Job" only run. Who's next? Were building a lot of expertise in this area.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 02-07-2010, 08:37 AM
Rising Sun Member

Wow - that's a serious transformation. Looks really great! When are you going to add the hot pink airbrushing?
Old 02-07-2010, 08:38 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Also, on the topic of clear coating it:

Pros-It will stay shiny longer and fade less.

Con-When it gets scratched or peels in a spot you will have to spray over your clear coat, thats why I didn't bother doing it on mine.

If mine starts to get a little dull I just spritz her up a little bit with a can or two of fresh paint. Glad to see it only took 5 or 6 cans to paint it. When you said we were going to paint a 4Runner I didn't realize the back half was tube bed, thats why I thought it would take 10-12 cans.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:45 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Randy View Post
WRONG, WRONG, WRONG! I painted the Blue Mule in October of 2008! Your truck wasn't painted yet because I told you about how easy rattle can was when I bought the parts washer from you.

And, his truck ain't yella it's sand, looks good too.
Damn drugs I remember now That memory thing was kind of hard back then. But OK now so thanks for reminding me

It looks bright yellow in the pics but I guess if it is sand it is OK with me

And Perry Randy is right with the etching etc. Just wasn't sure if you wanted to do that or just spray. Either way I still say no, it looks good regular and it separates nicely.

Randy, you can use your respirator on my truck, I will need to paint the cage and touch up the body

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 02-07-2010, 12:02 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Alright, we can do that

Have you decided what you're gonna do for Moab in March?
Old 02-07-2010, 02:09 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMZTOY View Post
proper prep or just a quicky trail spray and pray ? either way i like it it looks good for a trail truck. did ya clear cote it ?
I didn't do any prep, just mask and spray. Looking at it today, thinking about spending a bit of time after I get it back from Homegrown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner View Post
Perry I have to complain a little here. We can't have two Yellow 4runners in the club

I painted mine in the garage last year before Cruise Moab and yes my finger was numb for two weeks too. Who do you think gave Randy the idea to paint his rig??

I guess since you painted it already you can leave it the way it is, it does look good And don't paint the diamond plate, it peals pretty easy.
Like Randy said, it's Sand. So dont worry about having two yellow 4runners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Randy View Post
Also, on the topic of clear coating it:

Pros-It will stay shiny longer and fade less.

Con-When it gets scratched or peels in a spot you will have to spray over your clear coat, thats why I didn't bother doing it on mine.

If mine starts to get a little dull I just spritz her up a little bit with a can or two of fresh paint. Glad to see it only took 5 or 6 cans to paint it. When you said we were going to paint a 4Runner I didn't realize the back half was tube bed, thats why I thought it would take 10-12 cans.
I'm pondering the idea of clear coating it, but like you've said, I also like the easy repaint if something happens on the trail. Might just build up the coats with some sanding in between.

As for the diamond plate, think i'll wait till I get the truck back to make a finall desicion.

As for the tubes, Jerry (from Groove Toyota) had a good idea for Color, instead of Black, due a chocolate Brown Color... Thoughts? I'm liking that idea...

And thanks all for the compliments

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 02-07-2010, 02:32 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh4rnnr View Post
As for the tubes, Jerry (from Groove Toyota) had a good idea for Color, instead of Black, due a chocolate Brown Color... Thoughts? I'm liking that idea.
Pale yellow and brown, yeah, won't that be both ends of the baby poop color spectrum? Might as well throw in some puke green accents while you're at it. Maybe on the rims or something?

Clear coating a Hilux seems wrong. If you can't go down to Ace and buy a rattle can of enamel to touch up trail rash then you are spending too much effort IMO. Our junk came off the boat with plain old lacquer paint and so even an enamel paint job is a step up. We don't drive Cruisers Perry, so back to your hole!

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Old 02-07-2010, 04:14 PM
Rising Sun Secretary

Wow! I can't believe that's spraypaint! Looks grand.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:10 PM
Honorary Canuck Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bigbluefj

Paint it once a year and your good, this is what i did with bigbluefj always painted it just before Moab so it looked good on the trailer..

Kevin