Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 04-18-2006, 08:03 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default 100 Octane in Grand Junction?

Anyone know of a gas station in Grand Junction that sells 100 octane unleaded? Last time I checked in Cisco, they weren't selling it there anymore.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:06 AM
Rising Sun Member

I think they have it at the Moab airport
Old 04-18-2006, 08:06 AM
Hard Core 4+

My word, what in the world you runnin' that needs near av-gas?? Even my scooters are happy with premium.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:16 AM
Trail Ready

You can get 112 Octane in Arvada at that big Sinclair Station up there......if that helps any........
Old 04-18-2006, 08:17 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili
My word, what in the world you runnin' that needs near av-gas?? Even my scooters are happy with premium.
A chainsaw? Nah, a mighty, rompin' stompin' 3FE that has been massaged by our favorite FJ Cruiser Team driver!! Problem with the setup is that the ECU isn't very bright and has no knock sensor to retard timing at partial throttle resulting in pinging on occasion. It runs perfectly happy on 93 octane and 91 is marginal, especially during hot weather, so mixing in a few gallons of 100 brew makes everyone happy. Either that, or retard the timing a few degrees but at Moab, the more power the better!
Bruce, are you talking about 114 octane av gas at the airport or the garden variety 100 octane that can be found at several stations here in Denver? I can always haul a jerry can of 100 from Denver but would rather not have that on board over the Great Divide.
Thanks.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:18 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evrgrnmtnman
You can get 112 Octane in Arvada at that big Sinclair Station up there......if that helps any........
Where dat?
Old 04-18-2006, 08:28 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash
A chainsaw? Nah, a mighty, rompin' stompin' 3FE that has been massaged by our favorite FJ Cruiser Team driver!! Problem with the setup is that the ECU isn't very bright and has no knock sensor to retard timing at partial throttle resulting in pinging on occasion. It runs perfectly happy on 93 octane and 91 is marginal, especially during hot weather, so mixing in a few gallons of 100 brew makes everyone happy. Either that, or retard the timing a few degrees but at Moab, the more power the better!
Bruce, are you talking about 114 octane av gas at the airport or the garden variety 100 octane that can be found at several stations here in Denver? I can always haul a jerry can of 100 from Denver but would rather not have that on board over the Great Divide.
Thanks.
Octane booster? On my BJ80 ( ) I have discovered that I can run the 3" pulley AND have the timing advanced 4*AND run cheaper mid grade fuel with the addition of good octane booster. I bought a case through NAPA and with my discount it works out to be right at $2 a bottle. Basically, that ends up being about the same price as 91 oct is but the advantage is when I can't get premium I still have options AND power. Of course I carry the 3.2" pulley too just in case.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 04-18-2006, 08:35 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben
Octane booster? On my BJ80 ( ) I have discovered that I can run the 3" pulley AND have the timing advanced 4*AND run cheaper mid grade fuel with the addition of good octane booster. I bought a case through NAPA and with my discount it works out to be right at $2 a bottle. Basically, that ends up being about the same price as 91 oct is but the advantage is when I can't get premium I still have options AND power. Of course I carry the 3.2" pulley too just in case.
Your truck's computer is a Cray Super Computer compared to the Commodore 64 that Toyota calls a computer on the 3FE.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:40 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash
Your truck's computer is a Cray Super Computer compared to the Commodore 64 that Toyota calls a computer on the 3FE.
True and it will compensate very quickly from input from the knock sensor but octane is octane. Metabiobalupa ( ) based octane booster is the same chitski they use to raise the octane at the pump! Try it what do you have to loose other than ring lands?

EDIT: Dang....took longer to edit out typos than it did to type the post in the first place!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 04-18-2006, 09:19 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben
True and it will compensate very quickly from input from the knock sensor but octane is octane. Metabiobalupa ( ) based octane booster is the same chitski they use to raise the octane at the pump! Try it what do you have to loose other than ring lands?

EDIT: Dang....took longer to edit out typos than it did to type the post in the first place!
Meta.... oh, never mind. I have used several different octane boosters, including 108 and Amsoil products, to no avail. They may have helped marginally, but didn't do the same thing that adding in some 100 from the pump. What brand does NAPA sell? Ethanol seems to exacerbate the pinging problem as the truck runs noticeably better with non-ethanol laced fuel, which is becoming harder and harder to find.