Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 02-11-2010, 12:25 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Tube benders, who has what?

So I'm planning to purchase a tube bender. So far my #1 choice is the JD2 model 32 bender. Price/value.

http://www.jd2.com/shop/custom.aspx?recid=7

I priced out a Baileigh, little rich for my blood. Maybe down the road some day.

Other popular choices on MUD are the Pro Tools and JMR.

What say you? I'm pretty sure Drew has the JD2 model 3... Hope he will chime in.

Right now I'm looking to only bend some small tube and/or square stuff. 1" or less. But I want the ability to bend 2" tube for any future projects.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 02-11-2010, 12:38 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
So I'm planning to purchase a tube bender. So far my #1 choice is the JD2 model 32 bender. Price/value.

http://www.jd2.com/shop/custom.aspx?recid=7

I priced out a Baileigh, little rich for my blood. Maybe down the road some day.

Other popular choices on MUD are the Pro Tools and JMR.

What say you? I'm pretty sure Drew has the JD2 model 3... Hope he will chime in.

Right now I'm looking to only bend some small tube and/or square stuff. 1" or less. But I want the ability to bend 2" tube for any future projects.
Nope, I don't own a jd2, but I have mooched on one before, at least once... erhh, more like 10 times!

I love it, simple to use, easy setup and take down. I found it was easy to use and get very acurate results.

Now, if you were going to bend up a lot of stuff, say a tube frame buggy or lots of bumpers and sliders and racks and other stuff, I'd spring for hydraulics. I bet I walked the cheater bar 2 miles building my trailer and bumper alone

Only other comment is that you want LOTS of room to walk around the thing, By the time you slap a 20' stick of steel into it, you need a ton of room to walk around it.

Have fun... I will add you to my new mooch list

I haven't seem Jim Beedon (or remember his screen name) in a while but he has lots of time on benders.

2001 Sequoia Limited with heated seats

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 02-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Lifted

I have the JD2 and it works well. Bent up some 2" today which is max for this bender, and for a guy that is 170 lbs For the price its hard to beat, but the dies get pricey. Make sure that whatever die(s) you buy, get the 180 degree.
If you need to bend some tubing, you are welcome to use mine and save the cash. I have a 1 1/2" 5.5" radius, 1 1/2" 6.5" radius, 3/4" 3" radius, and 1 1/2" square 5.5 radius. I have access to a 2" 6" radius, and a 1" 4" radius. If i don't have what you need, buy the die and i'll work it out with you.
I can help you almost any evening and Saturdays. Our shop has everything you need, just need tubing,(which i can get) and your rig. Let me know.

Mike
Old 02-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Hard Core 4+

Mike, thanks for the open offer. If I had only one project in mind I'd definitely take you up on it. But my plan is to introduce a product to market and having the ability to work at home is a must.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 02-11-2010, 04:53 PM
Wincher

Jd2 model 3 here with air over hyd. Been using this setup for several years and am very happy with it. Scotty has a Pro Tools 105??? and although it certainly gets the job done, and his has many miles of tubing run through it, I don't feel the quality is as good as the JD.

If you're looking to do a lot of bending I'd highly suggest hydro. Not only does it make the job easier, but you don't have to mount the bender to the floor or anything else. Huge bonus! Having the bender mounted in one place just plain sucks. I pieced together air/hydro for a decent price using an SPX ram and hose from Trick Tools and got a foot pedal off ebay much cheaper than the SPX one and save I think $300 there. There are also many write ups out there on DIY electric setups.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:53 PM
Hard Core 4+

i started with a pro tool bender(manual pull)
then got offered a jd2 hydraulic-nuematic on a roller cart with a bunch of nice dies.
love it but my finger hurts every now and then from pushing down on the buttons
go hydro or get a 10' pull bar.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:52 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROR/AKA 2BAD View Post
i started with a pro tool bender(manual pull)
then got offered a jd2 hydraulic-nuematic on a roller cart with a bunch of nice dies.
love it but my finger hurts every now and then from pushing down on the buttons
go hydro or get a 10' pull bar.
Which model Pro Tool and JD2? Other than the hydraulics what do you like/dislike about the two benders?
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 02-11-2010, 11:09 PM
Rising Sun Member

Those are some nice machines Corbet. We built lots of cars using a hydraulic powered something that looked 1/10th that nice and was pretty old...
82 FJ40
Old 02-12-2010, 07:35 AM
Wincher

For a cheap way to go hydro, I've seen this work in person and it works well. Only drawback is that you have to pull the ram back manually.
http://copperheadfab.com/index.php?a...&productid=164
Old 02-12-2010, 08:57 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John View Post
For a cheap way to go hydro, I've seen this work in person and it works well. Only drawback is that you have to pull the ram back manually.
http://copperheadfab.com/index.php?a...&productid=164
I've read some mixed reviews on the Copperhead. But for now I'm not too concerned with adding the ram. I just want to make sure I get the right machine.
2004 Starcraft 10RT