Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 02-21-2010, 09:04 PM
Rising Sun Member

That will get you the cleanest power available. Just remember that it won't turn on/off with your ignition (which can be good or bad).
Old 02-21-2010, 10:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via MSN to theboomboom

Looks like you're on the right track Brian! For your antenna wire, I'd reccomend sneaking it through that little gromet so it won't interfere with loading/unloading gear in the back. The wires may be connected straight to the battery, just make liberal use of zip ties to keep it away from belts/fans or other moving parts. Some plastic sheathing will also make it look a little cleaner.

Keep us posted, looks good so far!

1997 T100 4x4
Old 02-22-2010, 07:27 AM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks Rick! All I have left is to secure the wires better and do the SMR tests....thanks again for your offer 2 help, I guess that means we should do a trail instead.

2008 FJC (SRTBUS)

"In-justice is a threat 2 justice everywhere" MLK

"I remain just one thing, and one thing only- And that is a clown. It places me on a far higher plane than any politician." Charlie Chaplin
Old 02-22-2010, 07:45 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboomboom View Post
The wires may be connected straight to the battery
I would suggest that power feed wires not only may but should be connected straight to the battery usually.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 02-22-2010, 09:13 AM
Hard Core 4+

I would suggest a fuse block between the battery and your CB. You plan on adding a Ham set up soon and it to would need clean power. Some of us have the fuse block that we got at the marine shop on County line and Quebec West Marine

Anyway mount the fuse block inside the vehicle if you can and you will have clean power for 6-8 items depending on thesize you buy. You can tap all sorts of stuff into it once installed, Engel fridge or a blender. Even an electric blanket if you so desire.

Here is what I am talking about

My Fuse Block

That is the same one I am running and and about 5 ohters if not more. Plus you can get great connectors and other electrical items from them. Well worth the money.

PS if you need help I can help you but you will have to come to me. Heated and insulated garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 02-22-2010, 11:26 AM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks for the help everyone Now the next issue, do I connect both the ant. feed and the receiver feed to the back of the feed at the same time. And do I go threw every channel when checking, or only channel 20 like the small page of instructions says?

2008 FJC (SRTBUS)

"I remain just one thing, and one thing only- And that is a clown. It places me on a far higher plane than any politician." Charlie Chaplin
Old 02-22-2010, 11:59 AM
Hard Core 4+

Is it good to here the all weather station coming in clear even if you don't hear chatter as clear, I have a SWR reading of 2 1/2 when transmitting, is that good?

2008 FJC (SRTBUS)

Old 02-23-2010, 01:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT08BUS View Post
Is it good to here the all weather station coming in clear even if you don't hear chatter as clear, I have a SWR reading of 2 1/2 when transmitting, is that good?
Hopefully someone with more experience than I will chime in but getting the weather station in clear doesn't tell you much. The CB in my 40 will bring the weather station clear as a bell with no antenna

On the SWR readings...My thought is no, a reading of 2.5 is not good. IIRC you want it at 1.5 or lower, across all channels.

Did your SWR meter come with instructions? If not, here is a page from Right Channel Radios:

CB Antenna Tuning

I never had any success tuning my antenna, only to find out (thanks to Ricardo) that the SWR meter I got "free" with an antenna didn't work...someday I'll have to try again
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 02-23-2010, 02:27 PM
Hard Core 4+

I'm going to clean it up a little bit including hiding this wire in the back cargo but as it goes right now I don't allow any cargo in the back, and the side the wire is on is the side my speaker wire connects(sub). I found that the speaker for the CB can fit in the area built for the navigation in front of the steering wheel, and it will close. And then found a way to hide the CB wire under my M-PAC thingy (I can't remember what it's called) and that help keep cord from dangling in front of my feet.
Attached Images

2008 FJC (SRTBUS)

Last edited by SRT08BUS; 02-23-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

If you haven't already done so, I'd zip tie that coax above your pedal out of the way

Did you have to use a coax extension to reach all the way to the front? If so, make sure you don't "loop" the excess up in a circle shape...Make it a figure 8 with a zip tie in the middle.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater