Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

View Poll Results: How many Subarus have you owned?
0: I have never owned a Subaru, to my shame. 25 51.02%
1: I have owned a Subaru at one point in my life. 13 26.53%
2: The gods have smiled upon me and granted me 2 Subaru ownership stints. 7 14.29%
3: This is something I have in common with the British aristocracy. 1 2.04%
4+: I have prevented others from owning Subarus by keeping them for myself 3 6.12%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2010, 08:43 AM
Rising Sun Member

We had a '99 Outback Wagon for about 7 years. Fun to drive, and a great pavement pounder for trips up and down the mountain. The boxer is a reliable powerplant and is easy to work on - plus I could get 29 mpg out of mine.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:58 AM
Lifted

I've owned 4 including my current outback xt. All wagons. I really like AWD wagons.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:07 AM
Rising Sun Member

I had a 97 Legacy wagon...Green..One year I put studded snow tires on it, and I drove it like a mad man every Saturday at 6:00am over berthoud pass....

I loved it. First wife got it in the divorce and then sold it asap..oh well..

I am glad I no longer have to maintain both of these....hahaha..Not that the Suburau was expensive to maintain...moving right along.....
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com

Last edited by Caribou Sandstorm; 02-16-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:16 AM
Lifted

Never owned a Subi but everyone who lives around me does. Hell, Nederland has a bumper sticker:

"Nederland, a subaru with a dog in every driveway"

They look like a lot of fun but I've noticed the same mindset with their drivers as flatlanders with expeditions, too fast through corners and they slide off. AWD and 4WD don't help when the whole road is ice.

STI's look like tons of fun though....

1969 FJ40 (Black, for now) 33" MT/Rs, 4"Suspension, 2" Body, 75 2f
2001 Taco Double Cab

"Get Busy Livin, or Get Busy Dyin..."

"Sport Utility Housing!"
Old 02-16-2010, 09:22 AM
Rising Sun Member

I didn't actually own it...it was my sales car. But I did choose to drive it over about 4 other models I could have chosen. You didn't have a "lease" or "other" category, so I voted for owning 1. I liked it enough to convince my neighbors to lease one. I would probably lease or own one again in the future, as long as I didn't own it when it got higher in miles...they are an absolute nightmare if you have to work on them (or, even worse, pay someone to work on them)!!!
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"
Old 02-16-2010, 09:29 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Now, now, you heard the man.
Yeah, like that's gonna happen. Nuthin' is ever seriously taken seriously here.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 02-16-2010, 09:31 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default I've loved'em all

We've had two wagons (legacy and Outback), both great grovery, roadtrip, ski and dog cars. We put snow tires on them since we head to Edwards quite a bit. When driven within the limits, it's like they are shooting super-glue from the tires.

I currently have a Legacy Sedan 2.5GT - it's WICKED fun to drive and it superb in the snow. without the ski rack, I was averaging about 27-29MPGs.

If anyone is shopping for a Subaru, be aware that in the late 90's some had HG issues around 120kmiles on the 2.5l motor. (AMHIK)
Old 02-16-2010, 10:01 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

We've owned 2. The first was an AWD Station wagon basic model. The wife drove it for 100K with nothing but tires & oil changes then it popped a timing belt . Got that fixed and it went another 65K miles before we gave it to daughter #1. She drove it 30K miles and we had to put cv joints, brakes & another timing belt on it. Oh, we also had to replace a rear quarter panel and hatch because "she didn't want to run over the squirrel".

Then it went to daughter #2, got a tune up and was on it's way to Boulder to begin her freshman year at CU. As she was turning left at a light a kid ran the red light in his Dad's newly restored 66 mustang and t-boned her square on the passenger door. If anyone had been in the passenger seat they would've been killed as it pushed the pass door all the way over to the drivers seat and roller the subie 3 times. D2 walked away without a scratch but the subie was done for, finally. We had another one after that, nothing exciting happened to it but it went over 200K with no major issues.

I can't speak for them now but back then they were one of the best cars for the money. Cheap to buy & operate, incredibly reliable, good fuel mileage and AWD too.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 02-16-2010, 10:08 AM
Rising Sun Member

Two...

My very first car that I bought with my own money...A 1977 Subaru GL 4WD wagon, dark blue - I had a couple stickers on it...One said: "0-60 in 15 minutes" and the other one said: "Why be normal" that I stuck on upside down - I beat the snot out of that car, taking it offroad on numerous occasions. Ripped off the exhaust system on Sugarloaf mountian, ripped off the front bull bar in a mud pit by the Chatfield outlet, slammed into several curbs "drifting" the car in the snow, etc. It wasn't sexy, but it was reliable, got great gas mileage, and afforded me some fun (plus it was real cheap to buy!)

Second was a 1984 Subaru GL 4WD wagon, baby blue. Hand me down car...Had under 50k miles on it when I got it in the early 90's and had close to 175k miles when I sold it in '99. NEVER let me down although it did have a sticky throttle problem occasionally - Ripped off the exhaust on this one two several times going offroad, got it stuck in the sand at Lake McConaughy, etc.

I would love to have an older model Legacy GT Limited sedan for a DD
Attached Images

TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 02-16-2010, 10:11 AM
Rising Sun Commander

most recently a 2002 Outback, before that a 1997 Outback, 1991 Legacy Wagon, and Michele had an old wagon in high school. so that's 4? Timing belts every 80K, CV's every 125K, new front rotors every 10-20K, other than that it's gas and oil I'd probably get another one if my commute ever gets long again.

www.gamiviti.com