Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

View Poll Results: How many Subarus have you owned?
0: I have never owned a Subaru, to my shame. 25 51.02%
1: I have owned a Subaru at one point in my life. 13 26.53%
2: The gods have smiled upon me and granted me 2 Subaru ownership stints. 7 14.29%
3: This is something I have in common with the British aristocracy. 1 2.04%
4+: I have prevented others from owning Subarus by keeping them for myself 3 6.12%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2010, 11:15 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJBRADY View Post
I have always wanted an STI, but I just can't get past that wing in the back.
Ha! I could have said that verbatim.

This is a funny poll. It's weird how the mind works late at night after hours of web coding.
1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WØRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:29 AM
Hard Core 4+

Never owned one but like the idea of them. Would not get a Subaru but the same type car made by Acura heck ya. Nearly all of the people I know with Subby's pay way to much for upkeep or repairs.

Give me an Audi 3 station wagon or the Off Road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 02-16-2010, 11:37 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdiamond72 View Post

They look like a lot of fun but I've noticed the same mindset with their drivers as flatlanders with expeditions, too fast through corners and they slide off. AWD and 4WD don't help when the whole road is ice.

STI's look like tons of fun though....
Why do people insist on saying this, AWD or 4WD don't help when the whole road is icy????

I guess the guys who teach people to drive on ice in Steamboat are just wasting their time. Or the ice racers on George town lake must be getting lucky.

Instead people should say something like this ;

"Another inexpierenced SUV/Subaru owner slid of the road. If they would just have taken the time to learn how their vehicle handles on the snow and ice they may have been able to correct their slide or spin. "

4Wheel drive and some all wheel drives can help you stop in the snow/ice faster if you know what you are doing. You can also corner faster if you so please. It all comes down to expierence and knowledge of your vehicle, if you don't have those you may as well be driving a rear wheel drive truck

OK Rant OFF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 02-16-2010, 02:41 PM
Trail Ready

1 - 2001 Outback. I've said it before, but if I knew how much I was going to like this car, I would have held out for a 5speed and a sun roof.

Just had the dreaded head gasket failure, at 96k and 9 years. We were 13 months past the end of the 10/100 extended warranty that Subaru offered when they realized that all (ALL) of the head gaskets on the 2.5l between '99 and sometime around '04 ARE going to fail. But Subaru of America picked up all but $400 of the repair, including getting the warped heads reground and the use of a 2010 Impreza for a week. Might end up being an expensive repair, as that was a pretty nice little car.

Rumor is that the replacement head gasket has fixed the issue, we'll see - but if I get another 9 years out of this one that will be 5 years longer than I'm planning to own it.

Beyond that - one cracked skid plate during the infamous winter of '06/07 - which was a great excuse for an all aluminum STI rally plate, and I finally gave up on the undersized front rotors and went with some drilled and slotted ones. Stopping=good.

If you know how to drive - incredible in the snow, and mine is from before the fancy VDC stuff - does have a tendency to put the rear wheels in charge if you are playing around too much.

With a box on the roof, me, wife, 2 kids and large dog inside it returns between 25-26mpg on the highway with the cruise control set at 82mph. My personal solo record is my house to downtown SLC in 7 hrs 23 minutes including gas and food stops.

Has a weather band radio as a factory option. Kids don't love listenting to the 'robot' but I get a kick out of it.

Sometimes smells like gas in extreme cold (sub 10degrees, usually more like -10 or colder) but it's an easy fix with a phillips screw driver.

I'm liking it so much that I'm spending time on the Subaru Outback forums. Check out this guy's build if you're interested: http://thesuperu.com/

Ok, have to get back to work, but I would happily buy another.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:45 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

2 a 76 4WD wagon and a 2001 forester.
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2010, 05:04 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Two...

I would love to have an older model Legacy GT Limited sedan for a DD
I LOVE MY TURBO DD sedan. (it's an Audi killer) OK...not the S-line nor S4...but dammit, it's fast.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner View Post
Never owned one but like the idea of them. Would not get a Subaru but the same type car made by Acura heck ya. Nearly all of the people I know with Subby's pay way to much for upkeep or repairs.

Interesting....I would love to see a contest like this. Two guys: one buy a Subaru wagon and another by an Audi wagon. Drive them for 100,000 miles over similar terrain and city/highway mix. I'd place pretty good odds on the Subaru coming out much cheaper than an Audi.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:35 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner View Post

If you think a Subaru has a high cost of ownership then you should be downright scared of an Audi. Subies got the HG problem depending on year. And an Auto trans needs regular fluids but other than than they are pretty much bomber. H6 or turbo equipped models being the most reliable. My 80 series costs far more to drive than either of Mariane's Subaru's did/do and I'm not referring to fuel. PM/Insurance/Tires etc...

Now I've never owned an Audi but I've been around plenty in the car business. I will never own one personally. But they do drive very nice. S4 is a lot of fun. But give me an STi any day, with the wing
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 02-16-2010, 06:51 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

My Audi S4 cost me a ton to maintain. And I bought it from a guy who had the receipts to prove that it had been previously maintained very well at the Audi dealership. I don't think I will ever buy another used German car, unless it is air-cooled.
1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WØRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:45 PM
Rising Sun Member

in 1979 my parents bought a brand new off the show room floor 1980 DL two door. traded in a brown 1975 brown monte carlo that was bought new 5 years earlier ... which was bought trading in a 1969 dz302 z/28 ... unfortunatley...

man that chain of cards ended badly
1969 dz coded z28 for a monte-carlo for a subaru dl ...

anway
the 1980 was one stripped down econo-box; manual tranny, vinyl interior, manual window, no AC, no fm, no nothing...

i learned to drive in that car and to this day the best CAR i've ever driven in the snow. We would get places in the early 80's blizzards we should not have been able to get to.

in about 1985 a black shiny 4 door subaru GL was added that was all luxo'd out ;-) power windows, AC, FM AND tape player, cloth seats,

that one lasted almost as long as the 1980, I drove that one in high school (took it on a bmx track a couple times while my buddy was jumping a 'borrowed' perfect 4x4 hilux)

both of those subarus were amazing vehicles, nothing special, just built like nothing else I've come across in a CAR... (my 80 is excluded there)

other than cv-joints and front brakes they just ran...

1st one was a red version of:
Name:  1980.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  4.1 KB

1983 was same except 4 doors and black

this was before they had 'models' like 'legacy' etc, it was a 'subaru' DL or GL depending on trim.

my current DD is a honda accord 2 door...i'd glady trade it for a subaru if they still are as solid as those 2 before....