Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 04-19-2006, 01:16 AM
Wincher

Default Fairlead for ARB to use synthetic winchline?

Well I got my aluminum fairlead in the mail but it doesnt line up with the opening for the winch cable in my ARB bumper. It sits too low so the bumper covers part of the opening. Do I need to modify the bumper or find another fairlead? I could get the roller fairlead that is designed for synthetic line but I would rather go with the one piece aluminum. This is going on my 97 LC with a Warn M12.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:56 AM
Rising Sun Member

http://www.okoffroad.com/
Seth, check out the fairlead page on this site and see how your new fairlead compares. They offer an offset fairlead for ARB bumpers.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:59 AM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash
Seth, check out the fairlead page on this site and see how your new fairlead compares. They offer an offset fairlead for ARB bumpers.

Thanks. I just e-mailed them to make sure it will work for my application. It looks like a quality product. I also just listed the Poly Performance fairlead that didn't fit on ebay.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:38 AM
Rising Sun Member

Since you know that a roller fairlead fits here is another option:

Viking Replacement Delrin Fairlead Rollers

These new Viking rollers are designed to be used with synthetic winch lines, replacing the factory galvanized rollers. They are made from Delrin offering high strength, abrasion resistance, and heat resistance, and have a smooth surface to protect your synthetic winch line. these rollers replace the stock Warn fairlead rollers. The Viking rollers are 68% lighter than stock: .97 Kg (34.4 oz / 2.1 lb) vs. stock steel rollers at 2.4Kg (83.2 oz / 5.2 lb). Delrinis a material that somewhat similar to lightweight alloys like aluminum. We call it the alloy of plastics because it has good machining properties like aluminum, it is dimensionally stable and very tough. The material is resistant to oils, chemicals, UV light and abrasion

• Made from tough Delrin
  • Lightweight
  • High resistance to abrasion
  • Wider rope opening with curved edges front and back
  • High heat resistance: maintains serviceable life with intermittent use at 140.5 C (285F.)
  • Melting point : 165 C (329 F)
  • Tensile strength at 73 F: 8,800 psi
  • Precision CNC Machined
http://www.winchline.com/fairleads.htm
Old 04-20-2006, 07:55 AM
Rising Sun Member

I wouldn't be surprised if the Delrin fairlead would require drilling of new placement holes just as the Warn fairlead does to fit the ARB correctly. Also, there are a couple of other reasons given by several of the synth rope vendors as to why a roller fairlead isn't recommended for rope such as the rope won't roll the rollers.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:09 AM
Rising Sun Commander

It looks like those rollers are just replacement rollers- you'd still use your same fairlead, just unbolt the rollers and swap them out with the Delrin ones. But I agree with going with the fairlead that's just a slot for synthetic line.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 04-20-2006, 08:23 AM
Wincher

Quote:
Well I just got off the phone with them. I ordered the offset fairlead they have and it will be shipped today so I should have it in plenty of time for CM.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:39 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if the Delrin fairlead would require drilling of new placement holes just as the Warn fairlead does to fit the ARB correctly. Also, there are a couple of other reasons given by several of the synth rope vendors as to why a roller fairlead isn't recommended for rope such as the rope won't roll the rollers.
A friend of mine turned me on to these guys 'cuz the ARB's on both of my trucks leave few options for mounting hause fairleads for syn rope. I gave them a call and they have come up with this solution with ARB's in mind. Here is what I learned

There is no need to remove your current roller fairlead, you just pull the pins and replace the rollers.

Syn. rope makers do not recommend the use of steel rollers 'cuz if the steel is nicked, scratched or damaged in any way it could leave a sharp burr that will damage your rope.

They recommended that you start with a fresh set of syn rollers when you put on a syn. rope. If the rollers do get scuffed, nicked or damaged, the damage will not leave a sharp burr that can cut your rope. Any injury to the roller can be fixed on the trail with emery cloth.

They claim the will take more abuse than steel. That remains to be seen, but where the rollers are positioned on my bumpers, I doubt the rollers would take a hit any way.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:48 AM
Trail Ready

Seth, We're currently machining replacement rollers for our Warn M12 fairlead using virgin teflon. Will let you know how it works out. What model of ICOM radio do you have? Are you an amateur radio op?

1991 FJ80 converted to an HDT with an A442, Safari intercooler, 3" exhaust, factory Toyota subtank, 3" lift, 285's, Warn 9500xi, rear drawer system, 42qt Engel fridge. This rig is currently for sale
Old 04-20-2006, 11:03 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Miller
Seth, We're currently machining replacement rollers for our Warn M12 fairlead using virgin teflon. Will let you know how it works out. What model of ICOM radio do you have? Are you an amateur radio op?
I'll buy and test a set!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior