Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 02-17-2010, 10:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Driving Lights - help me decide

I had a set of ralley 4000's on a few trucks and I really liked them. I have had the pencil beams and the broader driving light patterns and liked the broader pattern better.

I am posting mainly because I saw Nathaniels big a$$ Lightforce lights and thought there may be other options for the 60. What do you folks think? Are the lightforce lights really all they are cracked up to be? Should I be looking at Cibie too? I have put a set of those on an old Mini I built and liked their quality but they don't make a "big" set of lights like lightforce or hella.

My budget limits me to non HID lights FWIW....

I am kinda leaning towards the Lightforce lights to try something new. I want the brightest "can cook a hot dog" lights I can get.

Thoughts?
82 FJ40
Old 02-17-2010, 11:07 PM
Rising Sun Member

One nice option with the Lightforce lights is that you can buy the conventional setup and then upgrade them later to HID's. They are great lights. Also one thing to think about is that the HID's use alot less power than the conventional bulbs.
TLCA#21035
My Cruiser videos on Youtube
Old 02-17-2010, 11:24 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Just a question.... Do you drive fireroads and trails fast enough to need hi intensity flood lights? For crawling and night wheeling you need more under body lights and indirect forward light. Any thing on top or in front of the truck will blind the person ahead of you.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-17-2010, 11:36 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Just a question.... Do you drive fireroads and trails fast enough to need hi intensity flood lights? For crawling and night wheeling you need more under body lights and indirect forward light. Any thing on top or in front of the truck will blind the person ahead of you.
Agreed. After putting them on I found that for what I do spotlights are pretty useless. Putting on a filter that diffuses the light makes them more practical.
TLCA#21035
My Cruiser videos on Youtube
Old 02-17-2010, 11:38 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

LED!

A floodlight up high is great for setting up camp in the dark.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 02-18-2010, 06:47 AM
Hard Core 4+

cibie aux's work well, and they have interchangeable optics/lenses if you get the super oscar style. I have had two sets, and I believe daniel now has my last old set on his 80. my first set I ran with 3, in a flood, pencil, flood pattern.

the lenses on the cibie's are of optical glass, and really help with the candlepower/lumens.

john (johnny) henley
Old 02-20-2010, 01:27 PM
Hard Core 4+

I've got the IPF XS900 driving lights. I wanted these because they use a 65 watt HIR type bulb that does not draw as much power as other lights. They are pretty bright. Basically the same as my high beams with the HIR bulbs with a better beam pattern. I also considered Cibie but not as easy to find.

There was a link to a good off road light test a few years back on MUD. Had very good night pics showing the brightness and beam patterns of lights at the time. The Hella 4000 and the CIbie's Oscar SC, and my IPF's did very well. Light force was by far the brightest and won the test but I did not care for the light pattern. Plus they are too big. I'll see if I can find it.

Here it is http://www.vandre.nl/_private/COMPAROWEBVERSION1.pdf
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 02-20-2010, 03:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

Cool Link Corbet, I just read it all. Kind-of makes me lean towards the 4000's again. The light pattern of the lightforce lights reminds me of the hella 4000 pencil beams. They were awesom for distance but didn't throw out too much light near or to the sides. they had to be aimed perfectly it seemed and I was always fiddling with them.

UB, maybe you're right... maybe throwing big lights on the front is not going to give me the bang for the buck and I should be concentrating on other areas of the truck like underneath or the back for illumination... I do really miss having the big lights switch on with the high beams when out on long lonely dark roads though. I was mainly thinking moab this year and all the travel I did at night there last year. I really missed the big lights out there in the desert at night.

I was reading about the LED's that folks were putting under trucks the other day and that seemed like a more meaningfull project.. maybe I just need to do that too..
82 FJ40
Old 02-20-2010, 03:13 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

i really like the oem fogs from mot. i have a set on the 70 and the 80. they are useable driving all the time and high quality. I really like the pattern but I don't really use the for wheeling as much as i do to get somewhere for wheelin. upgrade your oem lights to h4's then put in a high wattage high beam bulb. low beams at 55w and 100w high. combined with goos fogs for side pattern... hth
TLCA#4180
Old 02-20-2010, 04:05 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
i really like the oem fogs from mot. i have a set on the 70 and the 80. they are useable driving all the time and high quality. I really like the pattern but I don't really use the for wheeling as much as i do to get somewhere for wheelin. upgrade your oem lights to h4's then put in a high wattage high beam bulb. low beams at 55w and 100w high. combined with good fogs for side pattern... hth
I would second that.. I really like the color the headlights+the amber Mot lights puts out at night, makes everything look really "sharp." They light up peripherally what seems to be a full 180 too. Plus you can actually use them at other times of life besides when you're the lead truck way out in the middle of nowhere.

www.gamiviti.com