Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 02-19-2010, 11:28 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Rear Driveshaft Question

On the LX, there is some free play in the slip yoke both up and down and when twisting. The u-joints seem fine. What is play is normal if any? 170K on the unit. It seems it may be causing some vibes off the line, but may be in the exhaust system.

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

2008 Subaru WRX Wagon, mods and lifted on 27's

2001 Honda XR400 with goodies
Old 02-19-2010, 11:37 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeman View Post
It seems it may be causing some vibes off the line,
Just keep your foot in it....the vibes go away! I have no idea, way over my head.

97 LX450
Old 02-19-2010, 11:40 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Pull it and take it over to Englewood Driveshaft. The slip joint can wear out. He will replace them with an OEM Toyota slip joint (he has done this for me once). He'll tell you in 5 seconds whether it needs to be replaced.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:04 PM
Hard Core 4+

The guys I have done business with at Front Range say they can do it with aftermarket or Toy parts. He suggested finding a used one and have it checked.

My other option is to have a DC shaft made from the 4Runner shaft I aquired. This would require tilting the pinion up by lengthening the upper control arms. Might be good if future lift is added.

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:30 PM
Rising Sun Member

Mike,

I don't recall much, if any free play in my slip yoke when I was removing the driveshaft and putting it back in during my gear install...You're more than welcome to swing by this weekend and check both of my rigs for comparison.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 02-19-2010, 09:16 PM
Hard Core 4+

I would say very little play if any, I check mine after major runs (Pritchett and the like) and the rear is solid. The front is a little different but that is because it is a coarse spline.

PS Did you get the steel? What are you using it for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 02-19-2010, 10:23 PM
Hard Core 4+

I got the steel. I forgot to thank you for it and missed Ricardo when he dropped it off. I have been playing Mr. mom and been busy running a skeleton crew at the shop. I will be using it for bump stop spacers, albiet 1/4" wall overbuilt bump stop spacers! I owe you something for it.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:07 PM
Hard Core 4+

No worries, just happy to help. If you are going to CM you can buy me a beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 02-20-2010, 02:49 PM
Hard Core 4+

I bought a spare that had a little bit of yoke play - really good driveline shop in the Springs said they thought it would be ok when I was trying to diagnose vibes and brought it in (I installed along with increased lift and caster plates so it wasn't clear what the cause was), but it vibrated like crazy so I swapped Candy Cane back in and things are fine (and I don't really hit CC anymore on 37's so I've stopped thinking about it ).

I'd find another stocker unless you are really going to lift this rig and need a DC. Having that fixed at a driveline shop is going to push the cost of going new in a hurry.