Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 02-21-2010, 02:47 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Most scenic route to Missoula

I'm going to be road tripping to Missoula in April and was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a good scenic route? I'll probably take three days for the trip there, camping two nights. I'll be driving the 60 or 40 most likely, so I want to avoid high speed interstates. I was thinking of heading towards Idaho and going up through the Bitterroot Valley, but since I've never been to Idaho/Montana, I'm open to suggestions.

'85 FJ60
Old 02-21-2010, 04:50 PM
Rising Sun Member

I've never been through Idaho, but I'm sure that would be excellent. As an alternative, when we were traveling around Jackson/Teton last summer, we saw some beautiful stuff between Pinedale and Jackson on 189, and also on 287 from Lander to Jackson. Not much to see in southern Wyoming, but that stretch into Jackson is a little slice of heaven.

I wouldn't recommend driving through Yellowstone, but you could cut over to Idaho from Jackson, and then find a road north.

Snow might be a consideration for traveling and camping in April. There were campsites in Bridger and Teton NF's, but I'm not sure they'd be open in April
Old 02-21-2010, 05:52 PM
Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant

There are one or two ghost towns in Montana near the boarder of Wyoming that looked very interesting, See ExpeditionUtah.com. What about following along the Mussel Shell or Missouri for a bit? Could always do some Pre-Outlaws Run scouting for us.

From what I remember, it's about a two day drive to Great Falls Montana.

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 02-21-2010, 06:24 PM
Rising Sun Member

Great tips so far, thanks Matt and Perry.

Perry, give me some more details about the Outlaws Run '10 route and maybe I can scope it out some if it's not too far out of the way. I know you mentioned starting in South Dakota and then into Wyoming. Where in Montana are you planning on?

'85 FJ60
Old 02-21-2010, 06:27 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
I wouldn't recommend driving through Yellowstone, but you could cut over to Idaho from Jackson, and then find a road north.

Snow might be a consideration for traveling and camping in April. There were campsites in Bridger and Teton NF's, but I'm not sure they'd be open in April
Yeah, I'll hold off on visiting Yellowstone until I can take the family and spend some time. But heading to Jackson, then cutting over to Idaho and North through the Bitterroot might work perfectly.

Not too worried about the weather and possibly snow camping. Just hope I don't have to drive through a Spring blizzard the whole way.

'85 FJ60
Old 02-21-2010, 07:01 PM
Rising Sun Webmaster

If you can make it to northern Idaho, i would recommend Coeurdalene . It a spectacular place.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:03 PM
Lifted

Going up through Salmon Idaho, into the Bitteroot Valley is a beautiful drive. Lots of water, places to camp. Great fly fishing too.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:20 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars View Post
If you can make it to northern Idaho, i would recommend Coeurdalene . It a spectacular place.
I won't be making it up that far on this trip, but I will keep that in mind. I'll be heading to Yakima Washington later this year and might go the Idaho route and through Spokane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zornff View Post
Going up through Salmon Idaho, into the Bitteroot Valley is a beautiful drive. Lots of water, places to camp. Great fly fishing too.
Good stuff. I'll probably be heading through that way. Any specifics about places to camp?

'85 FJ60
Old 02-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Rising Sun Commander

If you end up going north to Laramie, definitely get off I-25 at Ft. Collins (hwy 14, Mulberry st) then take that left to 287, taking 287 the rest of the way up to Wyoming. It's a lot more scenic than i-25 to Cheyenne, plus it will save you time and fuel.

I actually drove to Missoula once to play a show, but don't remember how we went, it was mostly at night and we were just looking for the fastest route possible.. shoot that was like 16-17 years ago, had to borrow a fake ID. we opened for Seaweed.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 02-22-2010, 12:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

On the first night of our Canadian trip last August, we camped at a little campground on Half Moon Lake which is just south of Fremont Lake as shown on an atlas map ofWyoming, just outside of Pinedale. Just as you getr into the outskirts of Pinedale, turn right, NE, and head to Fremont Lake. You will see signs for the Half Moon campground and it is a pay area with maybe a dozen spots right on the lake. Very beautiful and the water was amazingly warm, which was a total surprise, being used to Colorado high country waters. Clean facilities and not overused at all.
Attached Images