http://cbs4denver.com/local/Boulder....2.1508883.html
82 FJ40
Old 02-21-2010, 02:47 PM
Rising Sun Member

right on.........

97 LX450
Old 02-21-2010, 03:54 PM
Rising Sun Member

I saw that report on the news last night - awesome. Right when they mentioned the HAM, and how the guy made contact with someone in the Springs using his HT, my wife shot a glance over to me with a smirk. If you're still looking for a reason to get your license, that's it right there....
Old 03-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Rock Stacker

interestingly enough, my department responded to this call... suffice to say we had over 50 responders, multiple snow vehicles (atv's with tracks, snow mobiles, snow cats, etc... coming to him from both sides of the ridge he was on.

there were responders from

Nederland Fire
High Country Fire
Colorado Sierra Fire
Rocky Mountain Rescue
Alpine Rescue
Gilpin county Sheriff
Boulder County Sheriff

this 'rescue' cost upwards of $50 grand in un-reimbursed expenses to the various departments involved, and took over 5 hours, where responders were not available for emergencies in their respective districts.

all because this guy chose to go back country skiing in an area with "EXTREME" avalanche danger, by himself, in the afternoon...

it was nice that he had a HAM and all... i suppose.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
this 'rescue' cost upwards of $50 grand in un-reimbursed expenses to the various departments involved, and took over 5 hours, where responders were not available for emergencies in their respective districts.

all because this guy chose to go back country skiing in an area with "EXTREME" avalanche danger, by himself, in the afternoon...
)
why is it un-reimbursed. can't they make the guy pay for it? he chose the risk, he should pay for it.
ige tlca #1431
Old 03-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearlemon View Post
why is it un-reimbursed. can't they make the guy pay for it? he chose the risk, he should pay for it.

while i agree with you 110%, we don't/cant bill for rescue. we CAN choose not to respond to the tones as individuals (were all volunteer), however, that's not the spirit of why i joined, or why most volunteers joined, the department...I respond to everything im in district for, regardless of how stupid the event is.

personally, id be happy if someone posted signs at teh access points to some of these popular recreation areas that said

"WARNING:

RESCUE FROM BEYOND THIS POINT CAN TAKE SEVERAL HOURS OR DAYS. HOW LONG CAN YOU BLEED?"

especially up Moffat Road in the summer when ATV or Mountain Bikers faceplant

if they choose to (or need to) take an ambulance or 'chopper, the cost is typically $2500 for a ride down to boulder, or $10000 for a flight...but the rescue itself goes unreimbursed..
Old 03-08-2010, 02:07 PM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
And I'm curious why 7 different rescue groups didn't coordinate for the rescue of 1 person rather than spending 50 grand??

reimbursed = our tax dollars

it was coordinated. "command" was set up at ELDORA, and the first arriving teams went in that way, skiiers towed by snow mobiles. since we didnt have an exact location beyond "West of Yankee Doodle Lake", we sent a second team in on that side... unfortunately, the snow was so thick progress was slow. as more resources, and more capable resources, arrived on scene, they were sent in in teams as well.

again, due to unknown location and unknown conditions, we had to hedge our bets.

that 50k number was an estimate based on resources used, fuel, resources, man-hours, etc.. its not like someone wrote a check for $50k

stuff happens, even in our hobby...but when we wheel, responsible groups will go out together, and come back together... most of the time we have the resources and manpower to recover our own, even in an emergency... Im sure folks would be just as condescending if someone from our sport had the poor judgment to go wheeling alone, where he/she shouldn't have been in the first place, got into trouble, etc etc....
Old 03-08-2010, 02:11 PM
Rising Sun Member

Got the picture from your response to Ige's query, but thanks for the detailed explanation.

'85 FJ60
Old 03-08-2010, 02:20 PM
Rock Stacker

Old 03-08-2010, 04:43 PM
Hard Core 4+

You are telling me that I should stop buying CORSAR cards? I understood that if you did not hold one or a fishing or hunting license that the cost to S&R teams, sheriffs, whomever could be billed to you. Also I thought Flight For Life rides were charged to your health insurance like an ambulance.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler