Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 02-22-2010, 08:00 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Sythetic Winch Rope + Mag Chloride

So I'm very close to getting a winch in my truck. This being corsair23's XD9000 that's being replaced with a proper sized for an 80 15K, it has synthetic rope.

My truck is parked on the street, driven to work every day, up to Loveland whenever I can, etc, etc. I noticed this morning (actually it irritates me greatly) that my truck is really, really, really, really dirty.

There is mag chloride in places that I'm pretty sure have never seen a car wash wand. My front bumper has a pretty thick (I'd say 0.125" at least) layer of brownish red dirt/ice/mag chloride on places on the inside to go along with the 0.25" layer all over the front. When we got home last night from skiing the spaces between the slider supports were almost full in a couple of spots. That's 30" of ice and dirt. Wowza!

So am I making a mistake in putting a winch into this daily driver, which is not an expression but is really driven daily all year. I am constantly fighting corrosion of the turn signals connectors in my ARB and the head lights are cracked from rocks and ice. The light bulb in my head went off this morning that, duh, I'll bet that's gonna be bad for my fancy new(ish) winch and high dollar rope.

I was planning on nylon rollers instead of an aluminum hawse partially because of this. I used aluminum to fabricate my front license plate bracket and that has reacted mildly with the stuff. It's stained enough that I'm pretty sure a fairlead being pelted with rocks and mag chloride would end up being cratered badly and I don't want roughness on the throat of the fairlead from the probable pitting. I am planning to make a front plate holder that clips on the rollers and I think will help keep some grime from working into the winch and rope, but this crap is uber pervasive.

Thoughts?

One thing I think is in my favor is that plastics are much less reactive to mag chloride than zinc. So stock winch rope probably would fair worse than anything synthetic.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 02-22-2010, 08:33 AM
Hard Core 4+

I think you should sell your winch to me that way you don't have to worry about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 02-22-2010, 08:39 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner View Post
I think you should sell your winch to me that way you don't have to worry about it.
I have not yet bought it, so that is a real possibility. The thought to pass on it crossed my mind since I also do not have the alternator and battery to deal with a winch. I've made it to 38 years using a Hi-Lift to get me back on snowy roads, what's a couple more years?

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 02-22-2010, 08:42 AM
Rising Sun Commander

I turned my license plate into a flip-down door for this reason, the first defense from debris from the front. Granted stuff can and will still get back up in there, but at least it's possible to protect the fairlead & line from head on. I also like how the winch is under the top plate of the ARB, and above the skid plate below- something the 80 series ARB doesn't have at all, so I feel like the truck winch is considerably more protected than the 80's winch.. am presuming your ARB is similar.

Convert made a pretty cool snap-on canvas cover for his, a lot like a soft top.. you may want to stare at his then come up with something similar. But at the end of the day, having a winch is far cooler than worrying about line corrosion, so my opinion is go for it anyway and not worry so much- get an over-rated synthetic line to compensate for potential weakness down the road.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 02-22-2010, 08:44 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default It'll be fine.

My M8000 is what? 15 years old? I bought it used and the motor can was a little rusty then. I guess it is a little bit more rusty now, but not much.

My winch is fully exposed on the front of the truck. An ARB bumper would probably keep most of the salt spray off of the winch.

My truck lives out-of-doors and only gets driven in bad weather really.
The rockstomper amsteel blue rope is at least 4 years old Maybe 5-6? and gets abused annually on the snow runs. In fact, I used it last weekend to pull an FZJ80 >150'.

The solinoid box is also out on the bumper. Everything is currently covered in winter road goo just like your truck. My goo is from a camping trip last weekend.

End result of my experience: Winch has worked fine. every time. Despite living on the front of my truck and probably on the front of someone's Jeep before that...for most of it's life.

I say mount it up and get a winch cover for it if you are really worried about the impact of all the salt.

but...reciever mount winch is probably the way to go. You can leave all that extra weight at home when you drive to work or go on a weekend highway ski trip. You can also keep it in the garage or in the bed protected from the elements until you NEED it.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:01 AM
Rising Sun Member

Man, I kinda never thought about it.

I drive my truck every day also (I think I put close to 25k miles on it last year) and it stays VERY dirty. Half of my nylon cover for the outer wrap on the synthetic line is missing so the actualy synthetic rope gets the brunt of most things. Occasionally I notice that the winch, line, and half the bumper are covered in a thick mag chloride ice mix and thing "damn, that'd be a bi*ch to use if I needed it" and I keep walking.

A few times I have pulled cable(rope) and have kinda peeled it's frozen self of of itself.

So far so good.

We pulled HARD with it on the snow run, stalled the winch a few times and overheated it once. Still no issues.

My setup is not as old as Rudy's but it's already seen a few winters I guess and everything seems fine.
82 FJ40
Old 02-22-2010, 09:14 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
Man, I kinda never thought about it.

I drive my truck every day also (I think I put close to 25k miles on it last year) and it stays VERY dirty. Half of my nylon cover for the outer wrap on the synthetic line is missing so the actualy synthetic rope gets the brunt of most things. Occasionally I notice that the winch, line, and half the bumper are covered in a thick mag chloride ice mix and thing "damn, that'd be a bi*ch to use if I needed it" and I keep walking.

A few times I have pulled cable(rope) and have kinda peeled it's frozen self of of itself.

So far so good.

We pulled HARD with it on the snow run, stalled the winch a few times and overheated it once. Still no issues.

My setup is not as old as Rudy's but it's already seen a few winters I guess and everything seems fine.
Slight hijack but syth is very easy to loosen and remove the thimble and slip on new sleeve! Buy sleeve in a color (even camo or maybe Sponge Bob) of you choice by the foot at McGuckins!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-22-2010, 09:15 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Slight hijack but syth is very easy to loosen and remove the thimble and slip on new sleeve! Buy sleeve in a color (even camo or maybe Sponge Bob) of you choice by the foot at McGuckins!
I know I know! I need to do it...

Ok, tonight i'll go get more tube nylon and do it
82 FJ40
Old 02-22-2010, 09:18 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
I have not yet bought it, so that is a real possibility. The thought to pass on it crossed my mind since I also do not have the alternator and battery to deal with a winch. I've made it to 38 years using a Hi-Lift to get me back on snowy roads, what's a couple more years?

I had spoken to Jeff about it and he said you had first dibs on it and if you passed and he was still selling that I would be up. No big deal, I have a winch now but want a lower profile one and Jeffs would suit me just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 02-22-2010, 09:28 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Dave, winches come up on Craigslist often! I bought the XP9 Superwinch that I put on Wild Rice about a year ago for $300. Some new stickers from Superwinch and a little elbow grease along with some Red Hammerite and it looks brand new. Most winches rarely get used so used ones are a great deal!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior