Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 02-22-2010, 05:19 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Miller View Post
Fairlead rollers should be made from virgin teflon. If you research it a bit, Dave, I think you'll find that teflon will survive chemical abuse as well as the heat generated between the fairlead and the synthetic rope during the winching process.
Sure....I'll take two sets!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-22-2010, 06:03 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
BTW, does not change my concern about aluminum and so I'm sticking with plastic fairlead rollers instead of aluminum...

P.S., sorry Tom.
I'm using these - unfortunately they are a bit (more?) susceptible to damage from rocks. Otherwise great with the synth rope.

http://www.winchline.com/images-prod...ng-Rollers.gif
Old 02-22-2010, 06:39 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
I'm using these - unfortunately they are a bit (more?) susceptible to damage from rocks. Otherwise great with the synth rope.

http://www.winchline.com/images-prod...ng-Rollers.gif
Yup, Viking's are the ones I was considering.

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 02-23-2010, 01:33 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Yup, Viking's are the ones I was considering.
I can't say enough good about Viking/Winchline.com - I ordered my 7/16" synthetic rope from them and despite a "hiccup" in the order they were on top of things and provided great customer service...Talk to Thor

I sent Thor an email to pass along that we'd love to have them donate a CM10 raffle prize (maybe someone from the CM Committee could follow up with them)...Not sure we've ever given away a winch line or similar item
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 02-23-2010, 11:12 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

don't worry.. i'm sure in 5 or 10 years that mag cloride will wear through the tub on the cdot trucks and they'll spend millions upgrading them.
TLCA#4180
Old 02-23-2010, 11:15 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
don't worry.. i'm sure in 5 or 10 years that mag cloride will wear through the tub on the cdot trucks and they'll spend millions upgrading them.
This is a huge problem, seriously. CDOT trucks and roads and bridges corroding due to the way liquid mag chloride leeches into everything and is harder to wash off.

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 02-23-2010, 11:59 AM
Rising Sun Member

Jeff, thanks for the CM request to Thor. I will follow up. I had already sent him an e-mail but did not hear back. So it is actually great that you mentioned it again.

Last year Robbie and I asked Thor to donate something and he donated a snatch strap? 15 foot super thick white rope? Ace one it from the FJCruiser crowd.

I also have the blue 80' synthetic line from Thor, he sent me a hat after my order, just because I asked. He is a super cool guy.

Little known fact..Thor's reason for getting into Synthetic lines is derived from his family's fishing supply business in Iceland or Greenland, I always get confused...The Master pull guy is from the same region, was a business partner of Thor's and his family owned the boats that Thor's family sold the fishing lines to....

So if you wander just how strong your synthetic lines are? Thor says the open sea with miles of line out, is a much tougher customer then your 5000 pound rig will ever be..
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 02-26-2010, 06:05 PM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

Don't worry about synthetic rope and mag chloride! Synth rope is made of UHMWPE (Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene). This is among the most chemically inert substances known to man. In chemical labs, the worst of the worst is stored and decanted in PE. For example, PE is about the only thing you can use for HF (hydroflouric acid) - the stuff eats through normal lab glassware! It will also hold up well against aromatic HCs, such as gasoline and various petroleum solvents.

As was previously noted, mag chloride is stored and dispensed from CDOT trucks in PE tanks. And as was previously noted, those tanks will last far longer than the trucks they are carried on.

FWIW, my synth rope has seen plenty of mag chloride and conventional NaCl and is now in the midst of it's 4th winter, and is doing much better than the GAC it replaced. Synth is way superior to GAC in so many ways!
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/