Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 02-25-2010, 04:35 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Dog question. Maybe a silly idea.

With my soon to be ex wife no longer living here, and my younger son splitting time between my house and her apartment, I have a bit of a conundrum with the dogs. I had intended to put in a dog door in the wall so they could have the run of the house, and relieve themselves like good boys.

But it occurred to me: have folks successfully trained dogs to use a litter box like a cat? Granted, the aroma greeting me at the door would be unpleasant, but...

Can they differentiate between 'going indoors' and 'going indoors in a litter box'? Or is that just a bad idea leading to bad behavior?
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:12 PM
Wincher

I've heard of it being done, but have no personal experience with it. What size dogs are they?
On the days my wife and I both work (only a day or two most weeks), my dogs go out in the garage and I'm probably going to put a dog door out there for them. I thought about putting one that entered to the house, but figured with my luck I'd just come home to renegade unwanted critters and dog pooh
Old 02-25-2010, 05:14 PM
Rising Sun Member

Put in the doggie door Bill

I've never heard of training a dog to use a litter box though
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 02-25-2010, 05:23 PM
Hard Core 4+

It can be done but dogs make a bigger mess. They tend to scratch the ground with their rear paws after doing the dirty deed and unless they are both females how do they lift their legs? Also with more hair in their paws they will carry the litter around the house.

A dogie door is a save a good solution. If you are worried about other animals entering get the one with a lock. Only your dogs with their radio controlled collars can enter the door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 02-25-2010, 06:17 PM
Hard Core 4+

Dogs don't cover their feces when they are done. Years ago when I was a teenager I used to house sit for a family that were truly pigs, and they had paper trained their Lab to go in the unfinished area of the basement on paper.

Unless you want your house to smell like a solid wall of dog sh$t every time you come home, I highly recommend the dog door.

Sorry to hear about the personal situation.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:29 PM
Hard Core 4+

We tried to train Marianne's Miniature Dachshund once due to the winter temps in Summit CO. No luck but I hear it can be done. FYI there is a special dog little as the cat stuff would be really bad on a dog's stomach or so our vet said.

Anyway I also recommend the dog door.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 02-25-2010, 07:02 PM
Rising Sun Member

I have owned dogs all my life and have never seen one trained. Also your dogs would be happier once they find out that they can go outside and play instead of being cooped up in the house. Also if you ever run late, you don't have to worry.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:53 PM
Hard Core 4+

Bill, you need the "Potty Patch". Haven't you seen the commercials yet? Or, the dogs could learn from my boxer, taz, to be able to hold it 10 hours.

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

2008 Subaru WRX Wagon, mods and lifted on 27's

2001 Honda XR400 with goodies
Old 02-25-2010, 07:56 PM
Honorary Canuck Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bigbluefj

Well i'll tell you this Bill it can be done, Boss goes on some pee pads in the winter and then he goes out in the summer time.. You can ask your vet what is the best way to get them to use the litter box.. I know of a few people that have there yorkies go in the box the one lady has four dogs that all use it..

Kevin
Old 02-25-2010, 09:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior