Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 02-26-2010, 01:52 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by sno bored View Post
I just got a puppy a couple of months ago and he has a doggy door. I got one that goes into a sliding glass door, so no cutting of doors or walls required. He goes in and out whenever he wants and hasn't had any accidents in the house since I put the door in.
I looked at those... but how do you get the sliding door to seal? I mean, sure, if you can get the door edge to seal against the doggy door insert, but what about where it bypasses the fixed pane?

Big air gap there.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:52 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
just trade your dog in for a cat

just kidding.. not really.. i should be.. what.. I need another pain pill after surgury yesterday sorry man
You ain't right... you just ain't right...
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
I looked at those... but how do you get the sliding door to seal? I mean, sure, if you can get the door edge to seal against the doggy door insert, but what about where it bypasses the fixed pane?

Big air gap there.
The door comes with some weatherstripping. I went out and got some heavy duty weatherstripping and stuck it everywhere I could around the door. No major drafts, but it is a little cooler near the door than the rest of the house. I have a board that I squeeze in the backside of the door that compresses the weatherstripping between the sliding door and doggie door insert, keeps things nice and tight and door can't be opened from outside. I will take a picture when I get home.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:06 PM

i hate it just as much as my lab, but she's a year and a half and lives in the kennel when we are not home.there is no friggin way i would chop a hole in the side of my house for a door.she does just fine with that.
might be another option for ya.
trust me they can hold it.
it may not be right for some but thats how it works at my place.
i have a chewed up coffee table to prove that she belongs in the kennel when she is alone.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:33 PM
Hard Core 4+

At least I have two dogs: buddies.

They did well yesterday, I didn't realize no one was going to be home to let them out. All day in the laundry room, not a mistake. They have come a long way in 2 1/2 years.

I will have to reconsider the sliding door option - I would rather do that than have a hole in the wall. I just need to be able to seal it - securing it seems straightforward, with the door lock the way it is.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
Old 02-26-2010, 03:45 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo View Post
i hate it just as much as my lab, but she's a year and a half and lives in the kennel when we are not home.there is no friggin way i would chop a hole in the side of my house for a door.she does just fine with that.
might be another option for ya.
trust me they can hold it.
it may not be right for some but thats how it works at my place.
i have a chewed up coffee table to prove that she belongs in the kennel when she is alone.

Training takes care of that and using a kennel all day is just as bad for a dogs bladder as it is for a human. A lab is a large dog that needs to run and move throughout the day, keeping her crated all day is cruel I don't care how many people do it. When you decided to get a dog you should have thought about the way it was going to change your life. It sounds to me that you may have made the wrong choice.

There is no need to cut a hole in your wall, you can use a door or as mentioned before a sliding door style. If you can't train the dog or don't have time there are many fine companies/individuals that can train her for you. There are also folks that will walk your dog during the day so she can run and relief herself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 02-26-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner View Post
Training takes care of that and using a kennel all day is just as bad for a dogs bladder as it is for a human. A lab is a large dog that needs to run and move throughout the day, keeping her crated all day is cruel I don't care how many people do it. When you decided to get a dog you should have thought about the way it was going to change your life. It sounds to me that you may have made the wrong choice.

There is no need to cut a hole in your wall, you can use a door or as mentioned before a sliding door style. If you can't train the dog or don't have time there are many fine companies/individuals that can train her for you. There are also folks that will walk your dog during the day so she can run and relief herself.
dude jump off your horse
you tryin to make me out to be a bad guy or something!!
non trained dog? whatever bro. got a world class dog that is on hand command,i've worked with my dog more than some clowns work with their kids so dont start preaching to me about how to train a dog.
by the way the dog comes out of the kennel every day at 11 am sharp to relieve herself.
she does have 1 problem and that is being a little destructive when she's alone for long periods.so we dont leave her out anymore.
now back to Bill's issue, he actually has one.
some folks leave em in there all day.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

Acuna Matta everyone.

Hey Bill you could do this!
Attached Images

97 LX450
Old 02-26-2010, 08:55 PM
Hard Core 4+

No horse to jump off from, but try separation anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 02-26-2010, 09:35 PM

Here are some pictures of my door. In the second picture it shows the gap on the back of the sliding door. The black part is the "glass sweep" seal. It came with the door and just sticks on back there. It works pretty good at sealing things up.
Attached Images