Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 02-27-2010, 05:26 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Oils for the FJ-40

Being an "older generation" engine, I was wondering what everyone is using for engine oil in the FJ-40s. Articles on the older flat tappet engines indicate modern oils do not have the proper ZZDP additives to prevent cam wear.

In addition, I just saw an article about not using synthetic oils in the transmissions as they may eat up the bronze bushings.

What say ye? Any first hand experience with this?

"13" Taco 4X4 Extra Cab, Firestone Air Ride, Airstream tow vehicle - "Daily Driver"
Old 02-27-2010, 05:39 PM
Lifted

I run Rotella 15w40.

Last edited by zornff; 02-27-2010 at 07:55 PM. Reason: I mean 15w40
Old 02-27-2010, 07:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zornff View Post
I run Rotella 10w40.
x2, sort of, rotella 15W40. Doesn't leak out past those old gaskets quite as fast.
KD°GWM
Old 02-27-2010, 07:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

I run 15W40, what ever is least expensive. Like Martin said, it doesn't leak out quite as fast as thinner oils.
TLCA #18941
Old 02-27-2010, 08:07 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
I run Rotella 15w40.
Do you run Rotella for the additives or just the viscosity? I have read of folks running diesel oil in these older engines for the protection. T

"13" Taco 4X4 Extra Cab, Firestone Air Ride, Airstream tow vehicle - "Daily Driver"
Old 02-27-2010, 08:31 PM
Lifted

Zinc.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:17 PM
Hard Core 4+

20w50
ige tlca #1431
Old 02-28-2010, 05:42 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Here is what I am going to use.....

Quote:
Zinc.
After reading a bit on this subject, I have decided the way to go is an additive. This appears to be the least expensive way to ensure the oil protects the cam lobes.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=121&pcid=1

Old 02-28-2010, 07:12 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttubb View Post
Articles on the older flat tappet engines indicate modern oils do not have the proper ZZDP additives to prevent cam wear.
This is a problem in more than old flat tappet engines. I think maybe with the exception of very modern engines designed for the lower zinc containing oils, all engines benefit from the zinc. The oil manufacturers are taking it out due to legislation and rules, not lube performance. It makes the oil more viscous so decreases mileage slightly, but this resistance to shear and break-down is why it protects better. Rotella is popular because being for OTR trucks it still contained the additives. Thing is I think that's no longer true, so there isn't an advantage to Rotella due to the ZDDP. I do know most racing oils still have ZDDP in them, but they are expensive.
Quote:
In addition, I just saw an article about not using synthetic oils in the transmissions as they may eat up the bronze bushings.
Never heard that about engine oils, but certain gear oil additives are bad for yellow metals. The lubricant itself isn't the problem but the extreme pressure additives (usually sulfur-based) can corrode bronze and brass. This is mostly a problem for GL-4 gearboxes because they used bronze for the synchros and GL-5 oils usually are harmful to those.

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Old 02-28-2010, 08:30 AM
Rising Sun Member

The Redline MT-90 which a few of us run is supposed to be good for the materials in the toyota trannys. There's lots of stuff online about it... Check it out. It makes the tranny shift "crisper" too. I think the syncros grab a little better with it.

As far as motor oil goes, in the 60 when it had the 2f I just put whatever 20-50 I could find in the summer in it and in the winter went a little thinner. I haven't had th 40 long enough to really do too many oil changes, but I just got rotella for the next time... it was the right price and seems like most folks like it. I haven't really done a whole lot of reading on it.
82 FJ40