Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-03-2010, 07:20 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Rigging Gear

What is the advantage or downside of each type of connecting link and hook? This would be to an existing standard woven-in thimble on a synthetic winch line, but I think the principles still hold for a swagged thimble on wire rope.

Clevis Slip Hook

Clevis Slip Hook with a gate;

Or going with two pieces.

Slip Hook with an Eye

Hammerlock

Double Clevis

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 03-03-2010 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:26 AM
Rising Sun Member

Is this a test?

______
Old 03-03-2010, 07:32 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJBRADY View Post
Is this a test?
No, just wondering. I'm cleaning up the winch I got from Jeff Zettl and he had the original Warn clevis slip hook with no gate and a second clevis slip hook with a gate. I've also seen the hammerlock + eye hook often.

Thinking about which one and wanted to know what experience tells people to use. My intuition says use a hook with a gate for one so that if the rigging goes slack the hook will stay on the recovery point. Second I like the idea of the hammerlock over a clevis pin because the shape seems like it would be a better fit in the thimble.

Obvious there are other choices for the final connection that I consider more specialized.

Viking's thimble (which is pretty slick, but having a hook also seem useful for things like pulling debris off the trail or something)

And fancy self locking hooks

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 03-03-2010, 07:38 AM
Rising Sun Member

That's what I figured....just checkin.

I have the hook with the gate on the FJC and the hook only on the 40. For safety sake I like the gate.

______
Old 03-03-2010, 07:43 AM
Hard Core 4+

I would say the vast majority (what, like 98.3%) of winch lines terminate in a clevis hook with Viking's and a hammerlock + eye hook making up the rest. The reason I like the hammerlock link is that it's a radius so it seems to me that it would have more surface contact with the thimble where the clevis is only making normal contact with the thimble. I don't think the rope sees much difference between the types, just the thimble.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:48 AM
Rising Sun Member

I don't know what's best, but I use a shackle through the thimble on the end of the rope.

Stays put when winching, cheap, and strong. Just takes a minute more to screw the thing together.

Works well with the thick tree strap.
Attached Images

82 FJ40
Old 03-03-2010, 07:49 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
I would say the vast majority (what, like 98.3%) of winch lines terminate in a clevis hook with Viking's and a hammerlock + eye hook making up the rest. The reason I like the hammerlock link is that it's a radius so it seems to me that it would have more surface contact with the thimble where the clevis is only making normal contact with the thimble. I don't think the rope sees much difference between the types, just the thimble.
The only issue I have with the thimble is you have to attach a D-ring to it. Not a problem, but when I rescued the 4runner on Friday the hole on the frame was not large enough for the d-ring so instead I just used the hook. If I only had the thimble I would have had use a strap on the frame, which would not be a big deal....just another piece of equipment.

______
Old 03-03-2010, 07:54 AM
Hard Core 4+

Yeah, forgot about the shackle in the thimble, Marco. That is actually one option Warn mentioned as acceptable in their manual, too. And I agree about the Viking thimble being limiting to some extent. The hook is useful and with a regular thimble you always have the same option to terminate to the shackle. The most obvious advantage to the Viking is you are more likely to keep your fingers with it.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:03 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJBRADY View Post
The only issue I have with the thimble is you have to attach a D-ring to it. Not a problem, but when I rescued the 4runner on Friday the hole on the frame was not large enough for the d-ring so instead I just used the hook. If I only had the thimble I would have had use a strap on the frame, which would not be a big deal....just another piece of equipment.
Have more than one size of D-ring and every recovery bag needs ......

....because as you know there are countless unprepared folks out there that you will encounter on the trail with no hooks or attachment points, so rather than cut your recovery strap on their springs or bumpers use the hold down holes in the frame and get-r-done!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 03-03-2010, 08:20 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Have more than one size of D-ring and every recovery bag needs ......

....because as you know there are countless unprepared folks out there that you will encounter on the trail with no hooks or attachment points, so rather than cut your recovery strap on their springs or bumpers use the hold down holes in the frame and get-r-done!
I could learn many things from you oh wise one.

______