Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 06-03-2010, 11:33 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default icom 229H

so a big ham/wheeler buddy of mine at work has an

ICOM229H

that he is willing to part with (give me) cause I'm the only guy he's ever met that has a vanity call-sign and no radio but I won't take it for free...

so I am thinking about this radio as a good first/cheap option for the 80...

I know its a simplex, but it seems like a good starting point especially since in all likelihood the extent of my ham-ness will be trail only initially.....

what say you? waste of time, plunk down the ft-8800 cash now, or yea cheap/good starting point?
Old 06-03-2010, 11:52 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by simps80 View Post
I know its a simplex, but it seems like a good starting point especially since in all likelihood the extent of my ham-ness will be trail only initially.
This radio most certainly will work repeaters, do PL tones, be able send DTMF tones. The only significant downside compared to a new radio is the number of memories it will have available and for the price that is a very minimal downside. Heck, even for some amount of money (I would expect about $25 ~ $50) this is a fine radio. Newer FM mobile radios haven't gained a whole ton better performance (e.g. sensitivity, selectivity and frequency stability), the main advances are user features like memory handling, scanning, etc.

My $0.02 is that it's a most excellent starting point and you'll probably have this radio for many years to come. But it is probably about 10 or more years old, so you might consider opening it up and giving it a once over. I worked on a radio for Randy and found that all the thermal grease had dried up and the internal memory battery was dying. So stuff like that might need to be done just due to age. Plastic bits also start to crack (like knobs) but mostly just cosmetic junk.

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 06-03-2010, 11:56 AM
Hard Core 4+

http://www.radioamateur.eu/schemi/IC229_user.pdf

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 06-03-2010, 12:04 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
This radio most certainly will work repeaters, do PL tones, be able send DTMF tones. The only significant downside compared to a new radio is the number of memories it will have available and for the price that is a very minimal downside. Heck, even for some amount of money (I would expect about $25 ~ $50) this is a fine radio. Newer FM mobile radios haven't gained a whole ton better performance (e.g. sensitivity, selectivity and frequency stability), the main advances are user features like memory handling, scanning, etc.

My $0.02 is that it's a most excellent starting point and you'll probably have this radio for many years to come. But it is probably about 10 or more years old, so you might consider opening it up and giving it a once over. I worked on a radio for Randy and found that all the thermal grease had dried up and the internal memory battery was dying. So stuff like that might need to be done just due to age. Plastic bits also start to crack (like knobs) but mostly just cosmetic junk.

thanks for the insight!!
yea we kind of agreed on $50 bucks since he initially refused to take anything for it and I initially refused to take it for free...
sounds like this is a good choice then,
thanks for the reply!

Last edited by simps80; 06-03-2010 at 12:13 PM. Reason: lame space between the a and greed in agreed lol
Old 06-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Hard Core 4+

As you are considering the FT-8800R, check the specs. As far as performance goes they are for all practical purposes going to perform the same. There are definitely differences between the two, primarily with respect to IF because the FT-8800R does UHF and so uses much higher internal frequencies. What that means is the two radios are going to react differently to local interference and intermod, so that's hard to predict. The biggest difference is going to prolly be intermod from two adjacent channels. Back 20 years ago the FM part of the band had a bit wider channel spacing than most band plans have now and so it's possible that if you listen to 146.460 and someone here in Denver is talking on 146.445 or 146.475 with a radio that is not tuned right on center and is maybe over deviating, you might get a bit of splatter where the FT-8800R might reject it a little better. Out in the field that won't matter one bit.

IC-229H (designed in about 1990)
Stability: 10ppm over -10C to + 60C
Sensitivity: 0.18uV at 12dB SINAD
Selectivity: 15KHz @ -6dB and 30KHz @ -60dB
Freq. Deviation (TX): +/- 5KHz
Spurious EMI: less than +/- 60dB
Max RX current: 500mA (squelched), 800mA (full audio)
Max TX current: 10.5A (@50W)

FT-880R (designed in about 2005)
Stability: 5ppm over -10C to + 60C
Sensitivity: 0.20uV at 12dB SINAD
Selectivity: 8KHz @ -6dB and 30KHz @ -60dB
Freq. Deviation (TX): +/- 5KHz
Spurious EMI: less than +/- 60dB
Max RX current: 500mA (squelched)
Max TX current: 8.5A (@50W)

Old 06-03-2010, 12:32 PM

If I can recall, I don't think that radio came with PL decode, I think it was an option...The encoder was preinstalled from the factory..

Not that big a deal, just and FYI