Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 03-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Rising Sun Member

Drew,

With how I know you, and what you like to wheel and experience, I think a 100 would be a perfect fit. Very comfortable, quite capable offroad, and family friendly. You could get it built over time, and, assuming you buy one with the rear locker, you'll be able to take your family out on camping trips in many places.

Lots of people will tell you that you need a bunch of crap to go wheeling and camping.

Consider that all vacations over my entire childhood was spent with my 4 other family members and a dog exploring the back country of utah, colorado, and new mexico, places like pearl pass, beef baisin, all three districts of canyon lands, including the remote maze district, bear town, engineer, cinnimon, etc... passes, and the area around roswell, santa fe, etc... In addition, many of those places, like elephant hill, have been paved over and are much easier now than they were back in the late 80's and early 90's when we first started going over there.

All of that was done in a single vehicle, which was a bone stock, 4cyl 1987 4runner with 28" tires, no lockers, no sliders, no bumpers, no lift. 5 people, 1 dog, 5 days worth of gear and food, no fridge, just a cooler.

With your trailer, and a 100, you'd be miles ahead of what we had in my younger days in terms of viability, safety, and ability to be self sufficient. A 100 with a mild lift, a front bumper with a winch, and a good trailer hitch would see you all over the back country with no worries, and let you have countless hours of enjoyment with your family.

Just my .02

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 03-04-2010, 06:29 PM
Hard Core 4+

I've been very happy with the 100 as the family camper,wheeler,DD, and work truck. 98+99 have a factory rear locker on 4.3 gearing. 33's fit without a lift. Plan on an ARB for the front diff, as it is the weak point. Comfortable heated leather seats. going rate is around $10k. If I could find an '03 for under $20k I'd buy that. Unless you want to carry 4 motorcycles and a camper. Then I don't know what to do.
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2010, 08:30 PM
Hard Core 4+

i always like the pickups over the suv's for the simple factor that it is still a pickup.. and when your not wheeling you still have a bed.. and IF you needed to haul a load of maneuar you could, not saying i plan on it. but if i needed to haul a bed of trash, (say, stay the trail) or load of maneuar, or lumber or greasy engine for a budy to or from a junk yard, i still have a pickup bed to throw the junk into.. and if you had a 4door you still have plenty of room for the whole family to go wheeling, and camping , and sleeping, exc, exc.. just my thoughs on pickup over suv..
Old 03-04-2010, 08:45 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

If you're not going to wheel the snot out of it, buy a 100 series. Bigger on the inside, more creature comforts, nice V8, better road manners and it's still a Land Cruiser.

"Newer" is only a benefit if you buy one that has very low miles -- many high mileage 80s have been extremely well cared for.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 80. But 100s are pretty sweet too.
1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WØRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:48 PM
Rising Sun Member

Tim, I totally see where you are going with that, but I'd imagine Drew's family will out grow a pick-up pretty quickly.

Generation Dead
Old 03-04-2010, 09:50 PM
Rising Sun Member

Farnham's 100 is sweetness. That thing can go all over the place. Handled French Creek just fine. I don't see Drew doing that with his trailer and family on board. And even if he did, the 100 would be up to the task.

Only problem with it, as Ian was talking about at NSTBC, is the cots of repairs. It can get pretty pricey pretty quick. No simple fixes according to Ian.

Generation Dead
Old 03-05-2010, 12:23 AM
Rising Sun Commander

I like 100's too. Only reason I side with a wagon over a truck with the family is just how easy it is inside.. like when it's raining on the trail and you can climb in back and get everyone something to eat, or when your kid wants his jacket off he can just throw it behind him, then reach back and find his pillow or something. Everybody inside the cab starts to feel a little tight, and that little window just doesn't cut it, not like a wagon. It's not like when we were kids and you could crawl through and ride back there under a topper, if it were then I'd probably change my tune to a little more pro-pickup.

As for manure, greasy truck parts, and helping people move, I have a utility trailer.. you guys are welcome to borrow it.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-05-2010, 08:30 AM
Rising Sun member

Drew, is there any way you can keep the FJ40 for fun/weekend so you don't have to build up something else for trail use? 80s, 100s, Tundras, Tacos in stock form can get you many places. I would suggest you drive all of the above and make your own opinion of the interior size, power, etc. I am loving my 2000 Tundra, and yes UB makes a good point about the 4.7L not being THAT impressive of a motor, but it's still leaps and bounds better than my 22R-E, so I'm happy for now. But I am thinking already about what to do if/when little Millers come along. 2004-2006 Tundras came with a 4 door version, and I'm a pickup guy so maybe I will consider that. I don't like the 2nd gen Tundras for looks though...

But having said that the interior can/will get cramped if you/I had to pack wife, kids, toys, car seats, etc. all in there. So then the 100 series starts sounding better. But then again you have the Sequoia, so the question is why do you need another wagon?
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 03-05-2010, 08:39 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
Tim, I totally see where you are going with that, but I'd imagine Drew's family will out grow a pick-up pretty quickly.
A 4 door pickup is workable for a small family, but otherwise pickups to me are second cars in families. But when you figure the reason for having a pickup instead of a wagon is presumably for the bed then 4 door trucks IMVHO fail. Even the 6 foot regular bed on Hilux and Tacoma trucks is really too small and a 4.5 foot bed is even more of a joke. I figure get a truck to be a truck that hauls junk and get a car to be a car that hauls people. With the nice trailer the utility of a pickup bed for camping is really a non-starter. If it was me and I had the money for a nice 100 series, that's what I do. It'll be the car the kid is driving in the snow at college.

“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” -- Kenneth E. Boulding
Old 03-05-2010, 10:22 AM
Hard Core 4+

If you start dirt biking, the advantages of a pickup take a real leap forward. Then again, there is always the trailer.

I have always liked having a pickup, but these days I don't, and if I needed it my homebuilt trailer would suffice. So there ya go.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.