Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 03-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Hard Core 4+

1) Small families have a way of getting bigger

2) The 80 has rear sliding glass so older kids can climb into the 3rd row while younger kids sit in car seats bolted to the second row. Try that in a 100.

3) You aren't really going to come out of a 40 into IFS are you? That alone means you are having more kids

4) 80 with lockers and some mods and OCD maintenance + super charger = less $$$ than 100.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:16 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
A 4 door pickup is workable for a small family, but otherwise pickups to me are second cars in families. But when you figure the reason for having a pickup instead of a wagon is presumably for the bed then 4 door trucks IMVHO fail. Even the 6 foot regular bed on Hilux and Tacoma trucks is really too small and a 4.5 foot bed is even more of a joke. I figure get a truck to be a truck that hauls junk and get a car to be a car that hauls people. With the nice trailer the utility of a pickup bed for camping is really a non-starter. If it was me and I had the money for a nice 100 series, that's what I do. It'll be the car the kid is driving in the snow at college.

The only place a short bed fails is if you are a contractor.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:17 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
If you start dirt biking, the advantages of a pickup take a real leap forward.
That is precisely the reason I got mine, and now that I'm mostly off my riding kick, it's the reason I'm thinking of changing back....
Old 03-05-2010, 02:21 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post

The only place a short bed fails is if you are a contractor.
I guess maybe I work my truck harder than the average homeowner then. But then I suppose most people don't know the exact height that a mound of landscaping dirt or pavers ends up weighing 1,000 lbs, either... I also hate driving around with tons of overhanging with sheet goods and lumber.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 03-05-2010, 02:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

I've hauled enough 4x8 sheets of plywood or drywall to understand where you are coming from. At some point, the law of diminishing returns takes over...

The bottom line is that you make due with what you have. As long as you have 4 seats, 4wd, and a Toyota emblem on the grill, you're set for a family adventure.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:16 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
I've hauled enough 4x8 sheets of plywood or drywall to understand where you are coming from. At some point, the law of diminishing returns takes over...

The bottom line is that you make due with what you have. As long as you have 4 seats, 4wd, and a Toyota emblem on the grill, you're set for a family adventure.
True dat. Also with a family and a nice house the need for a truck goes down. With an old, half dilapidated house and no kids my filter is a different color. :-)

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 03-05-2010, 03:28 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
I just have yet to be impressed with the 4.7!
You need to drive the raisin shifted to single case, holy sh#t! I have a 2uz and trans sitting in my garage, almost together
Old 03-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

One thing I would keep in mind Drew is whether you can resist the urge to build the rig up more than as just a "mild" wheeler? Each vehicle you listed will have varying levels of cost to mod it, with the 80 being relatively inexpensive IMO.

Trucks are cool and I'd love to have one but the utility of an SUV for a family is hard to beat, especially if the truck isn't a 4 door model. Getting a baby and young kids in and out of a truck (especially lifted) or any vehicle that doesn't have 4 doors is a PITA IMO.

After that it all comes down to $$ to spend and economy of the vehicle. If you drive 50+ miles roundtrip every day a high mileage, gas sucking 80 probably isn't your best bet. If you drive 10 miles rt everyday then a high mileage 80 might be perfect
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 03-06-2010, 09:15 PM
Hard Core 4+

Wow, thanks so much for all the responses.

I do think we are a full wheelin' season away at least but time will tell. I can't stand the thought of not having the wind blow across my bald white head all summer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
80. If I had to have one or the other, it would be the 80 hands down.

edit: Drew come over and crawl through them both, I'll show you exactly what's good and bad on each.
Thanks Tim, I may really take you up on that. I wasn't even thinking of something other than an 80... then I saw your kid-friendlly taco setup, and I have always liked that AT conversion with an expedition style box out back instead of a bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
I just have yet to be impressed with the 4.7! It sounds like it's got something lurking but it's just doesn't deliver. They are fantastic motors as far as dependability factors in but .2 liters bigger and a short stroke V motor just doesn't gain enough wow over a long stroke straight 6 at least as far as torque goes. Beat on the Sequoia and the 40 for a couple more years and the 5.7 Tundras will get down to working man price ranges by then! If ya need to do something now a 4 door Taco with the 4.0 will more than fit all your needs!
Yeah, the big Tundra's are really SWEET! The cost is WAY up there, but you're right, the longer we wait the more affordable they will become.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
Drew,

With how I know you, and what you like to wheel and experience, I think a 100 would be a perfect fit. Very comfortable, quite capable offroad, and family friendly. You could get it built over time, and, assuming you buy one with the rear locker, you'll be able to take your family out on camping trips in many places.

Lots of people will tell you that you need a bunch of crap to go wheeling and camping.

With your trailer, and a 100, you'd be miles ahead of what we had in my younger days in terms of viability, safety, and ability to be self sufficient. A 100 with a mild lift, a front bumper with a winch, and a good trailer hitch would see you all over the back country with no worries, and let you have countless hours of enjoyment with your family.

Just my .02
Yeah, you do know me Isaac, and I think you're are right on the money. I do feel like I could get a built 80 (or build one up) for considerably less than a 100, and still have a pretty capable wheeler. Only downside is the only 80 series I've driven are about as sluggish as my 2f... I can't see one towing the trailer with any more grace than the 40.

I still want a wheeler... just something a little more family friendly, like all of us being able to ride in the same vehicle

Thanks everyone!

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 03-06-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
One thing I would keep in mind Drew is whether you can resist the urge to build the rig up more than as just a "mild" wheeler? Each vehicle you listed will have varying levels of cost to mod it, with the 80 being relatively inexpensive IMO.

Trucks are cool and I'd love to have one but the utility of an SUV for a family is hard to beat, especially if the truck isn't a 4 door model. Getting a baby and young kids in and out of a truck (especially lifted) or any vehicle that doesn't have 4 doors is a PITA IMO.

After that it all comes down to $$ to spend and economy of the vehicle. If you drive 50+ miles roundtrip every day a high mileage, gas sucking 80 probably isn't your best bet. If you drive 10 miles rt everyday then a high mileage 80 might be perfect
We have two vehicles, an 07 FJ and my 94 80....hands down the full size 4dr 80 is ny first choice with the kids...