Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Cruise Moab > Cruise Moab - TLCA Sanctioned Event hosted by Rising Sun

Old 03-10-2010, 10:52 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

As has already been said, you can do Elephant hill, and maybe even stay in Devlis Kitchen (cool place)...
maybe even do the hike in Chessler park...

From there you can take the trail out the back into Beef Basin, and explore a bunch of cool Anasazi Ruins... a cool way to see some remote back country..

Another option is to head south past Blanding and do Hotel Rock... some tricky climbs, so better to be with someone.

and if you choose to go north from Moab, you can take back roads to some cool Dunes and canyons to explore on the way to the San Rafael Swell... more of the swell than can really be explored in a week..... but a week would be really fun.
KD0EXO
Old 03-12-2010, 11:34 AM

I have been studying trail damage web site,
http://www.traildamage.com/google_utah.php,
and I am starting to get the gist of it. I am especially checking the long trails.
In a previous post it has been mentioned that I need to get a permit a head of time.
Anyone care to elaborate about the camping permit? How do I get it a head of time and from whom? Especially when I did not make specific plans yet. Is that something I get for the whole area or trail specific?

TIA
http://bestcamptable.com/
KD2KDK
Old 03-17-2010, 06:57 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdiamond72 View Post
Run the rim trail in Canyon Lands NP, I was told its around 200 miles and no real obstacles. Great views the entire time.
If your referring to the White Rim Trail it is actually about 106 miles. Beautiful but long day. Maybe close to two hudred if your counting the round trip from town?
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 03-17-2010, 11:16 AM

White Rim is one of my chosen routes. I am not sure if I want to do it before or after CM.
but I think it will be after. I will post this week my plans to see if anyone care to join me.
Last night I narrowed down traildamage.com into about 10 routes I am interested to run.

One thing that is hard to do, and where you guys can help determine the time it takes to run one trail or another. I fully understand that just because a trail is 15 miles long, it does tells the time it takes to do it.
KD2KDK
Old 03-17-2010, 11:25 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyary View Post
I have been studying trail damage web site,
http://www.traildamage.com/google_utah.php,
and I am starting to get the gist of it. I am especially checking the long trails.
In a previous post it has been mentioned that I need to get a permit a head of time.
Anyone care to elaborate about the camping permit? How do I get it a head of time and from whom? Especially when I did not make specific plans yet. Is that something I get for the whole area or trail specific?

TIA
a permit is only required for camping. if you bomb wr in one day you don't need it. http://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/whiterimroad.htm

you will still have the vehicle park fee though but not required to purchase in advance

as noted i would go down to beef basin or spend some time hiking in arches, canyonlands, or some of the other close hikes. hitting the populr part of the swell is way mor fun than another day on steel bender IMHO. I would also do lockhart basin trail from needles to moab. nice 1 dayer.
TLCA#4180
Old 03-17-2010, 01:14 PM

wesint,
Thanks for you comments and the link.
Beef Basin and Lockhart are on my list as well.
I'll post the list tonight or tomorrow.

I will have to translate the list to actually days. I noticed that some trails go together, so I need to not just post a list, but group them in to what make sense and then convert it to a plan, meaning What do I do Monday? Tue? Wed?
I understand that without the next step it will be hard for you guys to help me plan.
KD2KDK
Old 03-17-2010, 06:54 PM
Hard Core 4+

Bring it on, we're more than happy to help. Give us your top picks of trails and we'll give you rough time frames and a schedule. Are you camping the entire time? rustic or KOA?
Old 03-17-2010, 07:13 PM

Here are the trails I am interested in. Some will need to be grouped together into a day. And then will need to be assign an actual day.

Beef Basin
Chicken Corner
Cliff Hanger - doing it on Thu CM2010
Colorado River Overlook
Devil's Lane
Dome Plateau
Elephant Hill
Find & Things - doing it on Sat CM2010
Gemini Bridges
Granite Creek
Hole In The Rock
Hurras Pass
Jackson Hole
Kane Creek Canyon
Klondike Bluffs
La Sal Pass
Lockhart Basin
Onion Creek
Poisen Spider Mesa
Porcupine Rim - doing it on Friday CM2010
Rose Garden Hill
Shcarf Mesa West
Secret Spire
Shafer Trail
Spring CAnyon Bottom
Taylor Canyon
Top of the World (must see)
White Rim (probably after CM one or two days)

These are listed alphabetically. My next plan is to read the description in depth and group them by proximity. However, anyone feel free to make suggestions.

What characterizing these trails is that they are easy for 4" lift and 35 tires. This means I should be able to go through them at slow by study pace. According to the description I have, they can be challenged to stock or slightly modified trucks. The way I interpret it that a trail may take 2 hours to 4" lift 35" tires may take 5 hours to stock vehicle. I am interested in trails that my car can drive thru. I am not interested spending two hours trying to get thru one little hill.

Again, your knowledge and help is greatly appreciated.

Rami
KD2KDK
Old 03-17-2010, 08:26 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Here are trails that you could probably run by yourself:

Quote:
Beef Basin
Chicken Corner
Colorado River Overlook (there is more than one overlook, but I think they are all pretty accessible)
Dome Plateau
Gemini Bridges
Secret Spire
Top of the World (must see)
In addition, there is a really cool 4WD loop in Arches Nat'l Park. The park itself is well worth the price of admission for all the stuff you can see on pavement or by foot.

These I would suggest that you should NOT run by yourself:

Quote:
Cliff Hanger
Elephant Hill (you could maybe do this one, but it's a very long day)
Fins & Things
Hole In The Rock (super long and far away)
Kane Creek Canyon
Onion Creek
Poison Spider Mesa
Porcupine Rim
Rose Garden Hill
It should be noted that Onion Creek is CLOSED. It is illegal to run through the creek bottom now, and you can get a serious fine for doing so.

The others that you listed, I don't know enough to give you any good answers. What are they rated?
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:35 PM
Hard Core 4+

Your going to have to narrow that down a lot. Even with your well equiped truck it will be hard to cover that list in the time you have. Your truck will not cut time in half over a stock truck.

A great number of trails in Moab contain large sections of slickrock or other rock surfaces. You will be crawling over them regardless of vehicle unless getting bounced around in the rig does not bother you, but at speed I wager it will get old. Poison Spider is a great example of this. There are a few obstacles but nothing very hard.(I wheel a stock 80) However its seems there is an endless supply of bumpy rock which dictates a slow pace.

I have not done all the trails on your list but I'll try to help narrow it a little. You could easily cross off Top of the World. Its a pretty uneventful trail with a great view at the end. But a view of the same valley you'll see on Friday from the top of Porcupine Rim. Just from the oppisite side of the valley.

Gemini Bridges. I would not bother. If you want to see an arch best to goto Arches. The trail is more like an access road to bigger and better. Easily driven by a Subaru.

The Shafer Trail is part of the White Rim loop unless you want to seek other routes back to town.

In the end you'll probably change your plans anyway after getting your first taste of Moab during the event. The scenery is spectacular and its hard to pass up trails that offer it. But driving over slickrock obstacles is addicting with its super traction. Its easy to want to spend all your time doing what seems impossible anywhere else.
2004 Starcraft 10RT