Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-08-2010, 09:32 PM
Lifted

Default Headlight Malfunction?

Ok, this is probably very unexciting compared to most of the posts here, but; My low-beam (and only low-beam) head-lights stopped working tonight. High-beams work, but not low. Fuses are all good, interior lights work, side-marker (corner) lights work, tail-lights work... any thoughts? oh, 1996 4runner. I intend to research for myself, but thought I would get this up, because y'all are pretty awesome here, and between the regulars on the forum, seem to know just about all there is to know on the subject of the greatest manufacturer of trucks ever (hoping flattery will get me everywhere).

pre-thanks,
Shayn
1996 4runner Limited, retrofitted E-locker, manual hubs, front King Coilover 2" lift, rear Landcruiser 3" lift, drop panhard bracket, 2000 4runner center console/e-brake conversion, K&N air intake, throttle body spacer, OBX headers.

Stay classy Colorado!
Old 03-08-2010, 09:45 PM
Rising Sun Member

Did you check the bulbs themselves? Not sure of the likelihood of both going at the same time but you never know...If nothing else just unseating them and reseating them might do the trick. On my '97 FZJ80 the PS light would go out...If I unseated the bulb and put it back in the bulb would magically start working again
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 03-08-2010, 09:55 PM
Hard Core 4+

Assuming you checked that the bulbs were good...

I dunno if the 3rd gen 4Runner is the same, but on my generation truck the headlight switch in the steering column is routinely a PITA. Remove the screws that hold the plastic trim on around the steering column, pull the harness off the switch and remove it. Clean the dirt and dog hair and crud out of it with contact cleaner.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 03-08-2010, 10:31 PM
Lifted

I considered that, but I just replaced one of them about 2 months ago. Still is possible though. My research in the last 20 minutes suggests it is most likely the switch within the steering column; Good ol' Haynes manual shows a separate continuity test with ohmmeter for low-beam and high-beam. So, the switch can go out, and allow either high- or low-beam to go out independent of the other... yeah? Only one relay; though, internally maybe it is segregated (racist relay?). To replace the switch, have to remove steering wheel and steering column covers to get to it. Spose there is always Jim's or the Yota Yard. Ya know... they really should have links to Rising Sun... I'm fairly sure, we have brought them an appreciable amount of business... I know I have recommended them b4... FREE PARTS?
1996 4runner Limited, retrofitted E-locker, manual hubs, front King Coilover 2" lift, rear Landcruiser 3" lift, drop panhard bracket, 2000 4runner center console/e-brake conversion, K&N air intake, throttle body spacer, OBX headers.

Stay classy Colorado!
Old 03-08-2010, 11:45 PM
Hard Core 4+

not sure what truck you have but alot of car;s have seperat relays for high and low. your low beam relay might be bad. check and switch with the high to see if the high dosent work or swithc with the horn or similer relay so see if thats it.. its either the low relay or the bulbs.. highly doubt its the switch
Old 03-09-2010, 02:19 AM
Lifted

Only one relay... combo for high- and low-beams. I pulled it, shook it, blowed in it, put 'er back in... no change. I'll give "the zone" a call tomorrow and see what a new one costs... maybe try replacing a headlight too... wouldn't hurt to have spares I guess, if they are not the problem. Hard on the unemployed pocket book (that's a wallet for all you unsophisticated fellars).

Stay classy Colorado!
Old 03-09-2010, 05:10 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4runner luv View Post
Only one relay... combo for high- and low-beams. I pulled it, shook it, blowed in it, put 'er back in... no change. I'll give "the zone" a call tomorrow and see what a new one costs... maybe try replacing a headlight too... wouldn't hurt to have spares I guess, if they are not the problem. Hard on the unemployed pocket book (that's a wallet for all you unsophisticated fellars).
If your highs work and your lows do not replacing the single relay will not cure the problem. Before replacing the headlamps at least pull the plug of the rear of one and check the terminal for current. I would put a wager on the dimmer switch. Unless something was done recently in the cab or in the engine bay where the harness was disrupted it's unlikely in the wiring. Before you just start throwing money at it until the problem goes away I would start checking some continuity on some plugs starting with the headlamp control. Attached is a scan of the headlamp circuit on a 98 Runner. Yours should be the same....
Attached Images

TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 03-09-2010, 06:35 AM
Hard Core 4+

UB's right (again). It stinks, but the only way to figure this out is a trace-back or elimination procedure. I absolutely hate electrical for this reason. I have even replaced partial looms once a break is isolated rather than stripping and pulling an individual wire.

john (johnny) henley
Old 03-09-2010, 07:51 AM
Hard Core 4+

In my truck the contacts for the low beams had corroded to the point that they stopped working. I had to clean and re-solder the contacts. Most people just toss it and get one from a junkyard but cleaning them is not terribly difficult.

The circuit that Kevin posted looks very similar to the one in my truck, which means it probably suffers from the same weaknesses. The main one is that the steering column switch switches the grounds to the headlights, so all the current from the headlights flows through the combination switch.

After getting them to work again your next move should be to put in some sort of headlight harness that only uses the combination switch to energize relays that do the switching. I got mine from Roger Brown but I imagine there are other options, too.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 03-09-2010, 08:28 AM
Lifted

Geez, it's been so long since I've used my multimeter, I don't think I remember how... guess I better relearn... at least if I wanna drive at night. Thanks guys, you have convinced me to try and trace it. Haynes did say on the combo switch, that I can test for current between a couple of numbered pins, so I guess I can start at the headlights then work my way back to the switch. Y'all prolly want pictures now huh? Cuz voltmeters are so cool lookin!

Stay classy Colorado!