Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-09-2010, 08:45 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

I had the same problem on my 85 mini truck. I cleaned the switch Dave refers to, tested the H/L relay all to no avail. I started tracing the wiring out, took all damn day with half the truck disassembled but I finally found it. There is a wiring loom that goes from the passenger compartment to the engine bay that is routed through the inside top of the passenger side front fender. One of the supports came loose and the loom sagged down enough to touch the top of the tire when the suspension was compressed. It wore through the loom and broke 1 wire, which went to the H/L relay.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 03-10-2010, 12:04 AM
Hard Core 4+

if your still haveing a problem call me.. i have a complete master power probe diagnostics set with short/open detector.. and i love electrical. so i could figure out your electrical problem in a matter of minutes im sure.. if not i could at liest conferm that your light circut is probly good or bad and that your swith probly bad.. all with just the power probe.. just let me know.. 720-383-ten 13. odds are i wont answer the phone so leave a message. best yet just text message me and say " hay timztoy it's"
Old 03-10-2010, 08:12 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default TSB for wires on fender

Randy: There is a TSB pointing to your loom wearing through on the passenger fender if I recall.

Great place to start.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:27 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Oh sure, now you tell me, after I already figured it out the hard way
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 03-10-2010, 01:53 PM
Lifted

I might take you up on that Tim; I'm headed over to my sister's (she has a garage) in a bit to see if I can track it down. If not, I will definitely give you a call. Thanks.
1996 4runner Limited, retrofitted E-locker, manual hubs, front King Coilover 2" lift, rear Landcruiser 3" lift, drop panhard bracket, 2000 4runner center console/e-brake conversion, K&N air intake, throttle body spacer, OBX headers.

Stay classy Colorado!
Old 03-11-2010, 12:10 AM
Lifted

ok, so one bulb (the one I installed new about 2 months ago) had a burnt out low-beam element. Other bulb looked fine, so why wasn't it illuminating? Checked voltage on the plugs and it was as it should be... a little over 12 volts constantly on the relay wire, 12 volts on the high beam node when the highs were switched on, and 12 volts across the low beam node when the lows were switched on. WTF? So after getting frustrated, the one good bulb got rattled around and the 4runner gods said let there be light.

Long story short... within a span of 24 hours, one bulb had the low-beam element blow out, while the other had the low-beam element become intermittent. Checked the intermittent bulb on both sides to be sure it wasn't the connection, and it was definitely the bulb. So, it's both bulbs I'll be a replacin'. That'll be about 40 bones. Prolly more expensive than the switch from a junkyard, or a new relay. Ah well, easy fix at least.

Thanks for all the advice guys.
1996 4runner Limited, retrofitted E-locker, manual hubs, front King Coilover 2" lift, rear Landcruiser 3" lift, drop panhard bracket, 2000 4runner center console/e-brake conversion, K&N air intake, throttle body spacer, OBX headers.

Stay classy Colorado!