Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Notices

Old 03-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Summer Can't Get Here Soon Enough...

2 years ago, 'nuff said:

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

2008 Subaru WRX Wagon, mods and lifted on 27's

2001 Honda XR400 with goodies
Old 03-10-2010, 08:35 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

look at that little 80
TLCA#4180
Old 03-11-2010, 11:38 AM
Lifted

I'm with you. Just picked up my tent.

BTW, I'm going to need some help getting that bad boy off my roof. There's a sixer up for grabs for whomever can help me out.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:56 PM
Hard Core 4+

If you can wait til Sunday, I can come over. I just bought the supplies to hoist it on and off from my roof!

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

2008 Subaru WRX Wagon, mods and lifted on 27's

2001 Honda XR400 with goodies
Old 03-11-2010, 01:26 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeman View Post
If you can wait til Sunday, I can come over. I just bought the supplies to hoist it on and off from my roof!
Damn, you rock. Name your beverage.

I was trying to figure out a hoisting solution, but couldn't come up with anything. It would be easy if I could get into the garage.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:03 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeman View Post
Inquiring minds want to know what you came up with? I'm in the same boat - I've got the rack and tent hoisted up in the garage but no way I could get the LX out with them on top - I've seriously contemplated looking into what it would cost to retrofit the garage to have more height but then that would in turn kill my storage area above the garage door
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 03-11-2010, 02:06 PM
Rising Sun Member

I'm able to take my ARB tent on and off my FJ60 by myself. Here's the technique:

Two 2x4''s leaned up against the rack on the back of my 60.

Use dolly to roll tent over to the 2x4's.

Lean tent on 2x4's, remove dolly.

slide tent up the 2x4's and onto the rack.

Bolt tent to rack.

Same in reverse to remove it.

Usually takes 10 minutes.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Rock Stacker

help me understand...

cool factor aside.. adn those ARE cool, whats teh benefit to them?

i have several normal tents.. 1,2,4,6, and 12 person tents.. most are fairly light, and small. i pull into "camp" set them up, and if i need to run someplace with the rig, I simply pull out and leave.. tent remains behind.

I had one of those 'truck bed' tents when i had a truck, and it was always a pain in the arse if we wanted to leave with it attached....while it was nice to sleep off the ground, i found that a couple of camp cots served the same purpose...

I also wonder if getting in and out of that thing after a night of consumption around the campfire for a 4am pee wouldn't be a challenge...

is there something im missing? is there a benefit to these rooftop tents over a good quality camp tent? or is it truely for the 'cool factor'?
Old 03-11-2010, 03:10 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
I'm able to take my ARB tent on and off my FJ60 by myself. Here's the technique:

Two 2x4''s leaned up against the rack on the back of my 60.

Use dolly to roll tent over to the 2x4's.

Lean tent on 2x4's, remove dolly.

slide tent up the 2x4's and onto the rack.

Bolt tent to rack.

Same in reverse to remove it.

Usually takes 10 minutes.
I'll have to give that a shot. Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:47 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
help me understand...

cool factor aside.. adn those ARE cool, whats teh benefit to them?

i have several normal tents.. 1,2,4,6, and 12 person tents.. most are fairly light, and small. i pull into "camp" set them up, and if i need to run someplace with the rig, I simply pull out and leave.. tent remains behind.

I had one of those 'truck bed' tents when i had a truck, and it was always a pain in the arse if we wanted to leave with it attached....while it was nice to sleep off the ground, i found that a couple of camp cots served the same purpose...

I also wonder if getting in and out of that thing after a night of consumption around the campfire for a 4am pee wouldn't be a challenge...

is there something im missing? is there a benefit to these rooftop tents over a good quality camp tent? or is it truely for the 'cool factor'?

I was a skeptic at first too and i have several nice ground tents that are only getting used when I drive my 40 or backpack. The benefits of the RTT, in my opinion, are:

Always a flat surface to sleep on. No more rocks, roots, etc poking you in the back. The RTT has a nice 3 inch integrated mattress and a solid flat platform under it. You don't need to find a nice clear level spot like with a ground tent. Just level your rig with a rock under a tire or two if needed and you're good to go.

Easier to set up and take down. The poles are integrated. I don't usually leave a tent set up for more than a night anyway, so having to take the tent down to roll is a non-issue for me.

**You can park in a downpour with 12 inches of water/mud/snow on the ground, and your tent will never touch it. My ground tents always need to be cleaned, but the RTT stays out of the mess. Being off the ground keeps you sowewhat away from the critters too. **

Climbing into the tent on a ladder is easier for me than crawling on the ground to get into my backpacking tents. I tend to bring in a lot less dirt too. Also, it's easier to put your shoes on/off when your feet are out the door of the RTT and resting on the ladder than crouching beneath the vestibule of a ground tent.