Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-14-2010, 02:01 PM
Romer's Avatar
Romer Romer is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Englewood, Colorado
Posts: 7,123
Default Cooper vs Toyo MT's

Several years ago, I narrowed down my tire choices to the Toyo MT's or Cooper SST's. Both had great write-ups. I ended up going with the Toyo's and was very happy with them. Last fall I had to put tires on my new trailer, So I put two Toyo's on it and bought 4 Cooper SST's for the 80 so I can see how the two compared. The Coopers are 18 lbs less weight than the Toyo's and I was hoping to get a bit of performance back. I believe I did, but that's just a seat of the pants guess.

The tread pattern between the two is the same. I am guessing the material of the Toyo is softer based on my observations

On the Toyo's, I could drive 85-90 before I could really feel and hear the MT lugs on the Tires. With the Coopers, it was 75-80mph when I started hearing and feeling the lugs. I am guessing the Toyo's are made from softer material.

They wheeled fine, but on two obstacles on Kane Creek, my back end slid when I was going up a difficult spot (1st obstacle on Shelf road). That could have been due to other factors like temperature, my line or the way I was driving so not sure if this is a real factor. The one thing that makes me think the tires could be a contribution is if the Coopers have harder material, they would not likely grip as well. I was also behind another 80 with the Toyo's that had no issues, but again that could have been the loose nut behind the wheel.

I thought the Coopers wheeled fine other than that. The Coopers are a great tire, but after having driven both, I would go with the Toyo's. Don't think you can go wrong with the Coopers, just my preference is the Toyo's.

There are other tires out there that are worthy of consideration, just wanted to share my perspective after having both on the same vehicle.
__________________
Ken Romer - K0ROM
04 UZJ100
77 FJ40
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-14-2010, 02:24 PM
Nay's Avatar
Nay Nay is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 810
Default

That's interesting, I would have said the Coopers are softer, which is why you feel them sooner at highway speed and also why they are somewhat known for chunking. You'd find the same general thing going on with Interco tires, although I have to say that my 37" trxus are smoother than the 33's were 4 years ago at 75 mph, so advances are definitely being made.

One difference you may not be thinking about is the Toyo has a much wider tread width - in the same size it is quite a bit more tire...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-14-2010, 02:53 PM
Romer's Avatar
Romer Romer is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Englewood, Colorado
Posts: 7,123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nay View Post
That's interesting, I would have said the Coopers are softer, which is why you feel them sooner at highway speed and also why they are somewhat known for chunking. You'd find the same general thing going on with Interco tires, although I have to say that my 37" trxus are smoother than the 33's were 4 years ago at 75 mph, so advances are definitely being made.

One difference you may not be thinking about is the Toyo has a much wider tread width - in the same size it is quite a bit more tire...
You might be right. I was guessing it would have to be softer to be quieter.
__________________
Ken Romer - K0ROM
04 UZJ100
77 FJ40
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-14-2010, 03:24 PM
Bikeman Bikeman is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Highlands Ranch
Posts: 685
Default

How about any price difference to sway a person towards a brand?
__________________
Mike


1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

2008 Subaru WRX Wagon, mods and lifted on 27's

2001 Honda XR400 with goodies
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-14-2010, 03:27 PM
Romer's Avatar
Romer Romer is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Englewood, Colorado
Posts: 7,123
Default

The Coopers where $50 a tire cheaper when I bought them in the fall
__________________
Ken Romer - K0ROM
04 UZJ100
77 FJ40
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-14-2010, 06:16 PM
Corbet's Avatar
Corbet Corbet is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Durango, Colorado
Posts: 4,008
Default

The other thing to consider Ken is that this weekend most of the sand was wet on any given approach to a rock obstacle causing more to stick to your tire. And once on the rock it caused some slippage. I felt I was a little short on traction this weekend too. And I would contribute it to that and maybe temps. But I seemed I had more sand between me and the rock all the time. Except for Porcupine Rim where it was snow.
__________________
Speski OffRoad LTD, Cargo Solutions for Toyota 4x4's http://www.SpeskiOffRoad.com
"80 series, with a fridge"
1976 FJ40, Project with little progress.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-14-2010, 06:37 PM
Romer's Avatar
Romer Romer is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Englewood, Colorado
Posts: 7,123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
The other thing to consider Ken is that this weekend most of the sand was wet on any given approach to a rock obstacle causing more to stick to your tire. And once on the rock it caused some slippage. I felt I was a little short on traction this weekend too. And I would contribute it to that and maybe temps. But I seemed I had more sand between me and the rock all the time. Except for Porcupine Rim where it was snow.
Corbet, thats very true and the tire likely was packed. I did caveat that it also could have been me. However, I the road noise difference is enough that I would choose the Toyo's next time. It's not bad or significant. Just enough that I noticed it and it was at the same speed, so not really seat of the pants.
__________________
Ken Romer - K0ROM
04 UZJ100
77 FJ40
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-14-2010, 06:58 PM
jacdaw's Avatar
jacdaw jacdaw is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lafayette
Posts: 1,233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
Corbet, thats very true and the tire likely was packed. I did caveat that it also could have been me. However, I the road noise difference is enough that I would choose the Toyo's next time. It's not bad or significant. Just enough that I noticed it and it was at the same speed, so not really seat of the pants.
Ken, have you considered having your tires siped? I find that siping MT style tires usually quiets them down at speed. Even a harder compound, not designed for colder temps gains a traction advantage as well. Trade off may be lifetime, but I'm not sure how much.
__________________
John A. Clary | TLCA 19964 | johnclary.net | '85 900-16vT "Sigrid"
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-14-2010, 09:59 PM
Romer's Avatar
Romer Romer is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Englewood, Colorado
Posts: 7,123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80lolux4x4 View Post
Ken, have you considered having your tires siped? I find that siping MT style tires usually quiets them down at speed. Even a harder compound, not designed for colder temps gains a traction advantage as well. Trade off may be lifetime, but I'm not sure how much.
John,
I did have them siped when I bought them, but I never looked carefully to see how good a job they did. I'll have to take a look at that.
__________________
Ken Romer - K0ROM
04 UZJ100
77 FJ40
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-14-2010, 10:10 PM
nakman's Avatar
nakman nakman is offline
Rising Sun Commander
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: north side
Posts: 10,006
Default

Well my not so humble opinion is that the Toyo's are superior in every way compared to Coopers- ok they cost more, they weigh more.. but they're quieter on the highway and they wheel better. Nay don't freak out they don't wheel as well as your Trxus', and they're not quite as good on snowy I-70 either.

But having never owned the Coopers, I will only speculate my comparison based on the Cooper trucks I've ridden in and wheeled with. Last point is my Toyos have close to 30K miles on them now, and still tons of tread- yes some of that can be attributed to rotating 5, but still really good longevity. I would think the Toyos are a little harder compound than the Coopers, if you want Ken I'll bring a duromoter guage to the next meeting and we can measure.. heck we can measure everything and post up the data for that matter.

Then again, maybe your Coopers are just fine and that good looking guy in the 80 ahead of you just knew that trail and his 80 really well..
__________________
99 uzj100, 05 525EXC

www.gamiviti.com

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.