Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-14-2010, 02:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Cooper vs Toyo MT's

Several years ago, I narrowed down my tire choices to the Toyo MT's or Cooper SST's. Both had great write-ups. I ended up going with the Toyo's and was very happy with them. Last fall I had to put tires on my new trailer, So I put two Toyo's on it and bought 4 Cooper SST's for the 80 so I can see how the two compared. The Coopers are 18 lbs less weight than the Toyo's and I was hoping to get a bit of performance back. I believe I did, but that's just a seat of the pants guess.

The tread pattern between the two is the same. I am guessing the material of the Toyo is softer based on my observations

On the Toyo's, I could drive 85-90 before I could really feel and hear the MT lugs on the Tires. With the Coopers, it was 75-80mph when I started hearing and feeling the lugs. I am guessing the Toyo's are made from softer material.

They wheeled fine, but on two obstacles on Kane Creek, my back end slid when I was going up a difficult spot (1st obstacle on Shelf road). That could have been due to other factors like temperature, my line or the way I was driving so not sure if this is a real factor. The one thing that makes me think the tires could be a contribution is if the Coopers have harder material, they would not likely grip as well. I was also behind another 80 with the Toyo's that had no issues, but again that could have been the loose nut behind the wheel.

I thought the Coopers wheeled fine other than that. The Coopers are a great tire, but after having driven both, I would go with the Toyo's. Don't think you can go wrong with the Coopers, just my preference is the Toyo's.

There are other tires out there that are worthy of consideration, just wanted to share my perspective after having both on the same vehicle.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 03-14-2010, 02:24 PM
Hard Core 4+

That's interesting, I would have said the Coopers are softer, which is why you feel them sooner at highway speed and also why they are somewhat known for chunking. You'd find the same general thing going on with Interco tires, although I have to say that my 37" trxus are smoother than the 33's were 4 years ago at 75 mph, so advances are definitely being made.

One difference you may not be thinking about is the Toyo has a much wider tread width - in the same size it is quite a bit more tire...
Old 03-14-2010, 02:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nay View Post
That's interesting, I would have said the Coopers are softer, which is why you feel them sooner at highway speed and also why they are somewhat known for chunking. You'd find the same general thing going on with Interco tires, although I have to say that my 37" trxus are smoother than the 33's were 4 years ago at 75 mph, so advances are definitely being made.

One difference you may not be thinking about is the Toyo has a much wider tread width - in the same size it is quite a bit more tire...
You might be right. I was guessing it would have to be softer to be quieter.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 03-14-2010, 03:24 PM
Hard Core 4+

How about any price difference to sway a person towards a brand?

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

2008 Subaru WRX Wagon, mods and lifted on 27's

2001 Honda XR400 with goodies
Old 03-14-2010, 03:27 PM
Rising Sun Member

The Coopers where $50 a tire cheaper when I bought them in the fall
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 03-14-2010, 06:16 PM
Hard Core 4+

The other thing to consider Ken is that this weekend most of the sand was wet on any given approach to a rock obstacle causing more to stick to your tire. And once on the rock it caused some slippage. I felt I was a little short on traction this weekend too. And I would contribute it to that and maybe temps. But I seemed I had more sand between me and the rock all the time. Except for Porcupine Rim where it was snow.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 03-14-2010, 06:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
The other thing to consider Ken is that this weekend most of the sand was wet on any given approach to a rock obstacle causing more to stick to your tire. And once on the rock it caused some slippage. I felt I was a little short on traction this weekend too. And I would contribute it to that and maybe temps. But I seemed I had more sand between me and the rock all the time. Except for Porcupine Rim where it was snow.
Corbet, thats very true and the tire likely was packed. I did caveat that it also could have been me. However, I the road noise difference is enough that I would choose the Toyo's next time. It's not bad or significant. Just enough that I noticed it and it was at the same speed, so not really seat of the pants.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 03-14-2010, 06:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
Corbet, thats very true and the tire likely was packed. I did caveat that it also could have been me. However, I the road noise difference is enough that I would choose the Toyo's next time. It's not bad or significant. Just enough that I noticed it and it was at the same speed, so not really seat of the pants.
Ken, have you considered having your tires siped? I find that siping MT style tires usually quiets them down at speed. Even a harder compound, not designed for colder temps gains a traction advantage as well. Trade off may be lifetime, but I'm not sure how much.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:59 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80lolux4x4 View Post
Ken, have you considered having your tires siped? I find that siping MT style tires usually quiets them down at speed. Even a harder compound, not designed for colder temps gains a traction advantage as well. Trade off may be lifetime, but I'm not sure how much.
John,
I did have them siped when I bought them, but I never looked carefully to see how good a job they did. I'll have to take a look at that.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 03-14-2010, 10:10 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Well my not so humble opinion is that the Toyo's are superior in every way compared to Coopers- ok they cost more, they weigh more.. but they're quieter on the highway and they wheel better. Nay don't freak out they don't wheel as well as your Trxus', and they're not quite as good on snowy I-70 either.

But having never owned the Coopers, I will only speculate my comparison based on the Cooper trucks I've ridden in and wheeled with. Last point is my Toyos have close to 30K miles on them now, and still tons of tread- yes some of that can be attributed to rotating 5, but still really good longevity. I would think the Toyos are a little harder compound than the Coopers, if you want Ken I'll bring a duromoter guage to the next meeting and we can measure.. heck we can measure everything and post up the data for that matter.

Then again, maybe your Coopers are just fine and that good looking guy in the 80 ahead of you just knew that trail and his 80 really well..

www.gamiviti.com