Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-15-2010, 12:23 PM
Hard Core 4+

well, you could 3 link it using a boge self leveling unit like the rovers have. they may be cheap enough now that they're ancient. Would be easy-ish to fab it in. ball joint type mount hole on top of diff and brackets to frame.

john (johnny) henley
Old 03-15-2010, 12:26 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Rancho's suck... trade them for brady quinn
TLCA#4180
Old 03-15-2010, 01:56 PM
Hard Core 4+

Here's what Roger runs:

He also makes these disconnects (only need one side done really):

They are a bit pricey. (not unreasonably, and well made, but money is money). 1/2" heims are about $14 each and I think I could fab the bars easily enough. That makes the center airbag an interesting concept, since any increased body roll would be controlled.

Hmmm...
His description of his experience (reposted here):
Quote:
Bar from Addco, I think they run ~$150 or so. Just disconnect one side and it eliminates the bar off-road. On my '85, I think a lot of the rear handling issues have to do with the way the springs ride. When I first put my current springs on, they had a decent arch and rode well. But as they have settled with time and flattened out more, they tend to get a lot of side-side action on the road. My thinking is the center air bag will lift the back end up a few inches, restoring the arch to the springs and letting them work better. As is, unloaded, the truck handles decent, it is just when you load down the rear end with gear that it gets a little sketchy. I lose about 2" of height in back loaded and that is when it starts to act up.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:07 PM
Hard Core 4+

Did you get (are these) new Deavers yet?

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

2008 Subaru WRX Wagon, mods and lifted on 27's

2001 Honda XR400 with goodies
Old 03-15-2010, 04:40 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Bill,

I have some of those fancy, smancy sway bar disconnects that came in the boxes of Toyota parts I got. You can have them if you decide to for sure go this route.
Randy Rosetta KDěKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 03-15-2010, 05:08 PM
Hard Core 4+

Awesome, Randy... I will take them. Even if I have to lengthen them.

Mike, no, these are the Alcans I put on years ago. I did go with Alcans in the front, they are using thicker leaves these days. Seem to work pretty darn well. Once they break in I won't be (slightly) nose high.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

You aren't running the shocks upside down are you?
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 03-16-2010, 07:35 AM
Hard Core 4+

Ironically, I AM running the fronts upside down (to make the adjusters accessible). They work fine. They are the RS99012s, while the rears are the older 5-way RS9012s.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
Old 03-16-2010, 07:52 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Ironically, I AM running the fronts upside down (to make the adjusters accessible).
I think Rancho shocks are supposed to be mounted body down, like you have them on your back. According to Roger Brown the RS5000 series shocks must be mounted body down for their valves to work but the RS9000 series doesn't matter. Even though everyone says with monotubes it doesn't matter (twintube have to be oriented correctly), I think shocks are designed for one orientation or another. I know with bike forks storing them upside down causes them to leak and ruin seals, so I would have guessed that similarly the oil is suppose to flow and settle in a vehicle shock seals in a particular way.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 03-16-2010, 08:04 AM
Hard Core 4+

I have read in numerous places - and Mike Caskey confirmed one day - that the 9000s or 99000s are fine upside down. In any event, it is the rears that are possibly giving me fits.
KDěRCH
Bio Page