Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 03-16-2010, 08:09 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
In any event, it is the rears that are possibly giving me fits.
That was my point, the rears are mounted properly AFAIK.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 03-16-2010, 09:18 AM
Hard Core 4+

Bill, I have seen some write ups that use a *eep coil spring in the middle to support the extra weight. I had the page bookmarked for possible future use but lost it somewhere. If I run across it I will post it but try a search I will too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 03-16-2010, 09:27 AM
Hard Core 4+

Yep, ZUK came up with that one. Without some means of stopping body roll, it would make it MUCH worse. The other one he came up with is coils on each leaf spring bump stop. Not adjustable and a bit ghetto, but folks say it works mah-vell-us.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:42 AM
Rising Sun Member

When I ran Rancho 9000s on my 60, I tried them upside down to preserve the adjuster knobs. They most definitely stopped acting as a shock. When mounted correctly they started working again.

In order to preserve your off highway flex and improve your on highway stability, I think an airbag system is in order.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 03-16-2010, 10:31 AM
Hard Core 4+

Bruce, do you think airbags are up to offroading? I have heard they won't extend enough, and will get torn up as a result. Roger's idea of one mounted over the diff, where it would not need to flex much, might work though - as long as a swaybar was used to limit the increased potential for body roll on the highway.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:08 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Bill,

Google "Firestone air suspension" then go to North America. They have an entire section devoted to how to design an air ride suspension and they have an 8.5 MG/85 page pdf file with all of the design parameter info in it. Should be able to tell you if you can get enough flex with their products for off-road use plus you can actually call and speak to their engineers.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 03-16-2010, 11:26 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Bruce, do you think airbags are up to offroading? I have heard they won't extend enough, and will get torn up as a result. Roger's idea of one mounted over the diff, where it would not need to flex much, might work though - as long as a swaybar was used to limit the increased potential for body roll on the highway.
That's why I was wondering if they can be mounted on only one side of the bag... so they don't have to extend too far.
82 FJ40
Old 03-16-2010, 07:33 PM
Hard Core 4+

I'd invest my money in a higher end set of shocks and accept that fact that light towing is going to compress my springs a bit.

I know you like the 9000's, but they are so far below a baseline high end shock in performance. Of course, $700 - $800 for a much better set of shocks is not chump change, but you buy once and can both rebuild/re-valve and it's a good investment for a rig that will see hardcore offroad use and a wide variety of road usage.

These 9100 series bumpstops are also interesting:

http://www.bilsteinus.com/offroad_9100bump.php
Old 03-16-2010, 07:59 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Bill,

Also go to theshockshop .com and check their prices for air shocks. They are like $150 per pair for Ranchos or Gabriels. As long as you get the right length/travel for your application I think they would work offroad OK. This is what I recommended you check into, not the Fox offroad racing units that are $400+ each.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 03-16-2010, 09:02 PM
Honorary Canuck Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bigbluefj

The air bags only get ripped if they rub on anything ie: sharp metal parts, one fellow in the RMLCA runs them on his 80 and this is what has happened to him in the past, install mistake on his part..