Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-15-2010, 09:59 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Orion 4:1 vs. Stock 3 speed and Rock Box

I ran in to an issue with my set up in Moab this weekend.

I have a 350 going to a SM420 to a stock 3 speed Toy transfer case with an Advanced Adapters Rock Box/Splitter.

The rock box kept slipping out of the High position on declines. To solve I used a bungy cord to hold the rock box in the high position. I have a fluid leak again which I have been battling on and off for months now. I do believe the stock transfer case is a week link as well.

So I spoke to AA and they mentioned the Orion to me. 4:1 transfer case thus eliminating the stock t-case and rock box. I either patch together what I have or spring for the orion pre CM10.

What do you think? Comments?...........and if you thinking I am going to get rid of the V8, no dice!

I need something reliable, since I can't afford a tow rig this year, and ability to crawl when needed.

97 LX450
Old 03-15-2010, 10:02 AM
Rising Sun Member

If you have the cash for the Orion, I would go that route.

'85 FJ60
Old 03-15-2010, 11:06 AM
Rising Sun Member

X2, what Martin said.

But it's not cheap. Also, wouldn't it change your drive shaft lengths adding more cost?
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"
Old 03-15-2010, 11:11 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
If you have the cash for the Orion, I would go that route.
Just did my taxes so it's all good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARGEONE View Post
X2, what Martin said.

Also, wouldn't it change your drive shaft lengths adding more cost?
Yes it would.

I have a PM into Robbie to see what he thinks and to see if he has the time to make it work before CM10.

97 LX450
Old 03-15-2010, 11:30 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJBRADY View Post
I ran in to an issue with my set up in Moab this weekend.

I have a 350 going to a SM420 to a stock 3 speed Toy transfer case with an Advanced Adapters Rock Box/Splitter.

The rock box kept slipping out of the High position on declines. To solve I used a bungy cord to hold the rock box in the high position. I have a fluid leak again which I have been battling on and off for months now. I do believe the stock transfer case is a week link as well.

So I spoke to AA and they mentioned the Orion to me. 4:1 transfer case thus eliminating the stock t-case and rock box. I either patch together what I have or spring for the orion pre CM10.

What do you think? Comments?...........and if you thinking I am going to get rid of the V8, no dice!

I need something reliable, since I can't afford a tow rig this year, and ability to crawl when needed.
You need to put in a heavier detant spring in the Rock Box and your leak is normal for anyone using a propeller type cross-member! Switching to the Orion is a good choice but you will still have the same leak problem after while unless a different transfer/transmission support is created plus your torsional cross member has already been removed. You will also need new drive-shafts made if your dumping the Rock Box. Additional considerations are using the 420 and Orion W/O Rock Box will lose 1.5" if clearance as the Orion will need to be clocked downward so the front U-joint will clear the reverse hump in the transmission. Switching to a 465 transmission will gain you back the 1.5" lost but will require a different bell housing. Rock Boxes are good but AA really short changed the Cruiser world when the created the poorly designed propeller cross-member and to this date they still recommend it. Something has to give when your frame is X'ed as you have already discovered by the cracks on the solid welded front cross-member and your leaks. Another possible solution if you want the Orion without the Rock Box and would not like to lose 1.5" of clearance is by using the 6.5" long AA adapter rather than the 3/4" plate adapter. You will still need to create a cross-member that will support while allowing frame flex but you can probably re use your same driveshafts
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 03-15-2010, 12:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
You need to put in a heavier detant spring in the Rock Box and your leak is normal for anyone using a propeller type cross-member! Switching to the Orion is a good choice but you will still have the same leak problem after while unless a different transfer/transmission support is created plus your torsional cross member has already been removed. You will also need new drive-shafts made if your dumping the Rock Box. Additional considerations are using the 420 and Orion W/O Rock Box will lose 1.5" if clearance as the Orion will need to be clocked downward so the front U-joint will clear the reverse hump in the transmission. Switching to a 465 transmission will gain you back the 1.5" lost but will require a different bell housing. Rock Boxes are good but AA really short changed the Cruiser world when the created the poorly designed propeller cross-member and to this date they still recommend it. Something has to give when your frame is X'ed as you have already discovered by the cracks on the solid welded front cross-member and your leaks. Another possible solution if you want the Orion without the Rock Box and would not like to lose 1.5" of clearance is by using the 6.5" long AA adapter rather than the 3/4" plate adapter. You will still need to create a cross-member that will support while allowing frame flex but you can probably re use your same driveshafts
Kevin,

This is good stuff. I like the idea of welding in the torsion bar for frame longevity, as it stands the rock box/disk E brake is in the way.

So if I keep the SM420 and go with the Orion, order the 6.5" adapter plate, I can reuse my driveshafts?
I need to address the propeller crossmember support. Does AA have something else or is there somebody else who does?

97 LX450
Old 03-15-2010, 12:07 PM
Rising Sun Commander

My only comment is why don't you just take the FJ Cruiser to Cruise Moab.. I don't know how much time & $$ you have available between now & then but this is sounding like more than you could piece together in a couple weekends.. and worth taking more time to get it all done right? You don't want to be booty fabbing something up just because you've got a trip to leave for.. especially at this level. JMHO...

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-15-2010, 12:14 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
My only comment is why don't you just take the FJ Cruiser to Cruise Moab.. I don't know how much time & $$ you have available between now & then but this is sounding like more than you could piece together in a couple weekends.. and worth taking more time to get it all done right? You don't want to be booty fabbing something up just because you've got a trip to leave for.. especially at this level. JMHO...
Noted.....I have gone back and forth on that very subject this morning. I have now driven both at Moab and the 40 is a blast, but a chore to drive to Moab. I bought the 40 for Moab and summertime fun here in CO. I need to see if I can pull this off time wise or it will be moot for CM10 and I will be bombing Moab in the FJC ala C. Davis.....unfortunately on 33's!

97 LX450
Old 03-15-2010, 12:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJBRADY View Post
Noted.....I have gone back and forth on that very subject this morning. I have now driven both at Moab and the 40 is a blast, but a chore to drive to Moab.
When the weather is nice, the top is down on the 40, and you're driving to Moab to have fun in the desert =

'85 FJ60
Old 03-15-2010, 12:59 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
your leak is normal for anyone using a propeller type cross-member!
I really don't keep up with this kind of stuff but what kind of x-member is preferred? a cradle with bushings? but how would it mount to the rbox or xfer?
TLCA#4180