Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 03-15-2010, 08:16 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default My Yaesu radio setup for Moab

My ham radio (Yaesu 7800) has a lot of programmable functions like most similar radios. Unfortunately, most of the functions are arranged so that you won’t stumble across them by simply poking buttons and watching the display. The info is in the manual but who actually goes back to the manual? Everything I’ve referenced below is for a Yaesu 7800, other Yaesu radios may be similar – or maybe not.

I created a cheat sheet for myself to make it easier to use the functions that I have found important. Hopefully someone else will find this info useful. If you find that I have something wrong or want to add to this, let me know.

I know a number of people have the 8800 dual radio setup. While that adds additional functionality to monitoring freqs, its only does two channels unless one of the two radios is in a scan mode. What I do with my single radio is to keep it in scan almost all of the time but try to make the freqs that are scanned meaningful.

For Cruise Moab I use the following setup:

I have 34 separate freqs stored in memory registers on the radio. This includes freqs for the front range, freqs for repeaters along I70 and the freqs assigned to each trail for Cruise Moab. (The freqs listed are from CM09 and may be altered for CM10.) By putting the radio in memory mode, I can easily dial up any of the 34 programmed freqs and the associated CTCSS tone if required. If I put the radio in scan while in memory mode, all 34 freqs are scanned. If no one is transmitting on any of the scanned freqs, the scan loop takes about 3 seconds. As soon as someone transmits on one of the frequencies, the scan stops and waits for them to finish. This is why it’s important to be able to only scan the freqs of interest at the moment. I recently took 145.145 off my list because there always seems to be someone yakking away that I don’t want to listen to.

The individual memory registers can be assigned to groups called banks. The cool thing is that a particular memory register can be assigned to multiple banks. My arrangement has 6 banks: Front Range, I70 corridor, Moab general, CM Thursday, CM Friday, and CM Saturday. By moving between these banks, I can easily scan a small group of predetermined freqs that are of interest to me on a given day. 146.460 for example, is in all 6 banks since that is the freq with the most general traffic for Rising Sun.

Aside from knowing how to turn on your radio and transmit within you license privileges, there are 7 basic functions that I have found useful. There are many other ways to store preferred freqs on this radio but these get it to do what I want it to. The difference between a button quick press-release and a press-hold for a 1/2 second or more can be a bit subtle. While it is easier to have someone program your radio by downloading the configuration from a computer, you won’t know how to add or delete a freq until you do it manually. When you want 150 freqs programmed, find someone with the cable and the software.

1 Enter or exit the memory mode (page 34 Yaesu 7800 manual)
Press V/M(MW) and release quickly. This steps the radio through 3 modes: VFO > Memory > Home channel >. The mode is displayed by a small number above left of the freq display. Press again to step to the next mode.

2 Enter or exit scan mode (page 41)
Press SCAN(SEL) and release quickly to enter scan. Press again to stop scan. Also you can use the up/down buttons on the microphone to enter exit/ scan – press & hold the up or down button for two tones.

3 Add a freq to memory (page 32)
Dial to the desired freq, press and hold V/M(MW), dial to register number desired, quick press V/M(MW)

4 Delete a freq from memory (page 35)
Press & hold V/M(MW), dial to register number desired, quick press SCAN(SEL). If you are in a memory bank, you might need to pick “no bank” before delete works – see #7.

5 Set a repeater CTCSS tone in memory (page 28)
Pres & hold BAND(SET), dial to 44 TN FREQ, quick press BAND(SET), dial to desired tone freq, quick press BAND(SET), press and hold BAND(SET) to return to normal operation

6 Assign a memory register to a bank (page 36)
Dial to desired memory register, press and hold SCAN(SEL), dial to desired memory bank, press & hold V/M(MW), quick press V/M(MW)

7 Pick a bank to monitor (page 44)
Put radio in memory mode by quick press V/M(MW), press and hold SCAN(SEL), dial to desired bank or “no bank”, quick press BAND(SET).

The attached excel file is a table of the freqs I have programmed and how they are arranged in banks.
Attached Files
File Type: xls ham freq plan.xls (26.5 KB, 73 views)
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 03-16-2010, 07:04 AM
Hard Core 4+

Awesome tutorial Bruce, Thanks!

I need to get my radio programmed.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:44 AM
Rising Sun Member

Bruce, this is great as I found out I need to spend some time with my Ham in the truck. I could transmit and receive point to point, but on the repeaters I could receive only. When I would transmit the readout would jump to another freq. un

______
Old 03-16-2010, 08:00 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJBRADY View Post
Bruce, this is great as I found out I need to spend some time with my Ham in the truck. I could transmit and receive point to point, but on the repeaters I could receive only. When I would transmit the readout would jump to another freq. un
You know that's the way repeaters work, right? TX on a frequency offset from the RX. Your radio is doing that for you automatically.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 03-16-2010, 08:04 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
You know that's the way repeaters work, right? TX on a frequency offset from the RX. Your radio is doing that for you automatically.
Dave we are talking about me. I just plugged it in when I got it. I could hear every body...in fact I was in Debeque and heard Rudy in West Denver, but when I transmitted nobody heard me like I was out there all by myself

______
Old 03-16-2010, 08:32 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJBRADY View Post
Dave we are talking about me. I just plugged it in when I got it. I could hear every body...in fact I was in Debeque and heard Rudy in West Denver, but when I transmitted nobody heard me like I was out there all by myself
you might not have had the PL turned on, or maybe set to the wrong tone. See CTCSS in your manual...
Old 03-16-2010, 08:40 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80lolux4x4 View Post
you might not have had the PL turned on, or maybe set to the wrong tone. See CTCSS in your manual...
Thanks Bro, I will check that out!

______
Old 03-16-2010, 09:09 AM
Hard Core 4+

My biggest problem? Getting the "dual monitor" to work reliably on my 7900R. This is a dual band radio, but it only has one tuner so no cross band repeat. However, you can get it to monitor a PRI (primary) frequency while listening to a different frequency on the display. Every 5 seconds it tunes to the PRI frequency and if squelch is broken, let's you listen to the PRI frequency.

Sometimes I can get the radio to monitor the PRI 146.460 frequency while I'm sitting on the frequency we have set up for the trail I'm running, or the repeater I want to monitor as I drive across CO, but often I notice the PRI is listening to a completely different frequency or the same frequency I am already on. There are 3 ways to set up PRI. I just need to master one or get all 3 to work the same.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:36 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiniesred View Post
My biggest problem? Getting the "dual monitor" to work reliably on my 7900R. This is a dual band radio, but it only has one tuner so no cross band repeat. However, you can get it to monitor a PRI (primary) frequency while listening to a different frequency on the display. Every 5 seconds it tunes to the PRI frequency and if squelch is broken, let's you listen to the PRI frequency.

Sometimes I can get the radio to monitor the PRI 146.460 frequency while I'm sitting on the frequency we have set up for the trail I'm running, or the repeater I want to monitor as I drive across CO, but often I notice the PRI is listening to a completely different frequency or the same frequency I am already on. There are 3 ways to set up PRI. I just need to master one or get all 3 to work the same.
Do you have one or some frequencies designated as "preferential"? Those have a little symbol next to their memory number. When you start a scan from a preferential memory the radio only scans through preferential memories.

The dual watch feature bounces from one priority frequency to the scanned range. So if you set 146.460MHz (simplex) as the PRI memory (which would be memory location #1) and start a PRI scan, it will roll through a memory bank (say a bank of all the CCR memories) with a 146.460 injected every 5 seconds.

The way I think to use it in Moab would be to set location #1 to our main club frequency (say 146.460) and use the home feature. Start a PRI Home scan by setting the radio to the trail specific frequency you've set as 'home' and then every 5 seconds it would bounce to your #1. With our repeater we would have suggested to make #1 the repeater's listen frequency and then set your 'home' to the day's trail frequency. Then a PRI scan would listen to your daily simplex frequency and scan the repeater every 5 seconds.

There is a special case if you utilize the radio's memory bank feature, too. When you enter a PRI Memory scan the radio instead of using the #1 memory location will use the numerically lowest memory location in the bank as the priority channel (the one checked every 5 seconds). In the programming files I've produced that take advantage of memory banks I generally tried to put the 146.460MHz simplex location as the first (lowest numbered) memory location in the bank. For example I put a RSSIMP or similar at around location 1 or 10. It might show up some other places, like in the simplex locations, too. But the 'RSSIMP' then shows up with the 'CCR' (Colorado Connected Repeater), 'DENREP' (DENver REPeater) and other banks I set up. That way when I use the various banks I could use the PRI mode without worrying about always changing location #1. I can then 'retask' memory #1 to whatever local frequency I might need or want to make PRI work when it's not a Rising Sun or Colorado event. Like when I got back east I change #1 to a local popular repeater in St. Louis usually and will change #1 to a Flagstaff or Sedona repeater when driving down to Phoenix.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 03-16-2010, 10:13 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Dual watch

Thanks for the additional examples and insight, Dave.
I don't have your file loaded on my radio. I did it all by hand so far.

I suspect I can only get it to work right using the HOME PRI method.
I think I have different freqencies set to #1 spot on the various memory banks at this time. That would explain why I see 430.000 flash by on my PRI scan sometimes.

I'll also have to look for PREFFERED flags on the programmed frequencies.

I'll mess around with it at lunch since I have the truck with me today.

I can usually get the dual watch to work while floundering around with the radio in the parking lot, but once the truck is moving, it isn't safe for me to mess with the radio while I drive. I'm just not that good at driving. So when I switch to the next repeater heading down the highway, I often lose my dual watch setup.

I'm sure there are about 10 ways to prevent this from happening. Like scanning a bank of all the Colorado Connection repeaters as I drive I-70 instead of manually flipping to the next one down the line.