Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-21-2010, 04:06 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Developed an 1FZ engine oil leak NOW WITH PICS

Murphy must know CM10 is around the corner. I just recently developed an engine oil leak or its just recently enough of a leak to hit the ground. Every thing is wet with oil from the splash cover under the crank pulley to the axle housing. I have not crawled under her completely but it definitely coming from the front of the engine. I'm going to guess its the oil pump cover seal but where else should I look?

Found this thread on MUD, http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-te...al-w-pics.html any other tips if this is indeed my next project

Edit: added pics
Attached Images

2004 Starcraft 10RT

Last edited by Corbet; 03-31-2010 at 05:14 PM. Reason: added pics
Old 03-21-2010, 05:15 PM
Honorary Canuck Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bigbluefj

2 Banana job for sure, i'd also look at the power steering this is the only leak that i have right now making a mess..

Kevin
Old 03-21-2010, 05:29 PM
Hard Core 4+

not PS fluid, Mobil 1 5w40 leaking out wish it was just PS fluid.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 03-21-2010, 08:24 PM
Hard Core 4+

front main seal ? which truck ? which motor ? could be a very easy wam bam thank you mam repair, could be a complicated involved oh my god repair taking most of the week end.. but i highly doubt it.. most are pretty freaking easy..
Old 03-21-2010, 09:30 PM
Hard Core 4+

great, when you're done, you wanna do mine?

i'll be tackling this soon.
ige tlca #1431
Old 03-21-2010, 11:25 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
not PS fluid, Mobil 1 5w40 leaking out wish it was just PS fluid.
Get rid of the synthetic Kerosene and put some OIL in it!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 03-22-2010, 10:15 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

what do you run in your 80 UB?
TLCA#4180
Old 03-22-2010, 10:29 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
Murphy must know CM10 is around the corner. I just recently developed an engine oil leak or its just recently enough of a leak to hit the ground. Every thing is wet with oil from the splash cover under the crank pulley to the axle housing. I have not crawled under her completely but it definitely coming from the front of the engine. I'm going to guess its the oil pump cover seal but where else should I look?

Found this thread on MUD, http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-te...al-w-pics.html any other tips if this is indeed my next project
Not sure if this helps, but if it ends up being the front crank seal I found that the bearing cage off the rear of a 40/55 works really well for seating the new seal. Kinda but the edges are already rounded on the steel, its almost exactly the same outer diameter, and the rubber lip of the crank seal fits nicely inside. I've also got a home-brew crank pulley holder tool, kinda rough, but anyone can borrow it (though not sure how to get it there). http://picasaweb.google.com/hobogoes...ankPulleyTool#

If it ends up being the oil pump cover seal, I found that if the Rad is out, an impact gun with the proper Philips bit set on a low torque works well for removing the sevens screws. Again, but I got all mine out with out breaking or stripping any. I had originally bought this http://www.amazon.com/OTC-3-8-IMPACT.../dp/B000HT8I9O but even with the rad. out there is no room to swing a hammer hard enough to break the screws loose. Also there was talk on mud of using sylglide or something to get the seal to stay on there while replacing the cover. I just used black fipg, and I've got tons left over if its of any use to anyone.

Corey
Old 03-22-2010, 10:54 AM
Hard Core 4+

I would clean it up first, it could be where the crank position sensor is as well. But the oil pump seal is a good first guess.
I usually use a #3 philips screw bit from a impact hammer set. It usually is on a 1/2 drive. I tap the bit in the screw and then with the 1/2 drive it comes out rather easy. It has been a while since I have messed a Japanese screw up with the #3 bit.
Good luck with it.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:50 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
what do you run in your 80 UB?
Quality dino. Synth is really good but for some reason the manufactures do not produce decent viscosities. 0w - ???? or 5w-????? is just too thin for older engines. I do run diesel grade 15w - 40 because I built my engine in forced induction design so my cyl walls are .001+" over bore of normal 1mm overbore to account for expansion from higher cylinder pressures. Dino also has greater cooling properties than syth but dino also traps and holds more water thus the reason you have to change sooner. I am a frequent oil change kind of guy....I want what ever is caught in my oil to go away.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior