Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-22-2010, 01:29 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Stupid 80's Question Pt II - Oil Filter

Ok, since Matt started this theme (luckily for me ) I thought I'd see if I could best his stupid question with one of my own.

Changed the oil in the 's 80 and the LX today. Everything went fine as usual except for I couldn't get the stupid oil filter off on the 80 - I went through this way back the first time I changed the oil in the 80 and resorted to the "punch a screwdriver through the oil filter" trick. I had no desire to relieve that utterly messy experience, and the needed to be somewhere so I just filled the 80 up with fresh oil and sent her on her way until I could figure out what to do. The filter on the LX came off easy so I guess the last oil change I tightened the 80's filter just a tad too much (I follow the FSM recommended method of a 3/4 turn after the oil filter seal makes contact)

I hit Checker up later in the day and picked up a pair of oil filter wrench pliers:

Name:  Oil Filter Wrench Pliers.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  4.0 KB

I "think" I can get to the oil filer from below with these (definitely can't from the top) and I'm hoping that can loosen the oil filter just enough so I can get it off....

Now, for the stupid question. Can I change just the oil filter without having to drain the oil - I'm pretty clueless about the internal workings of an engine, and I know it'll make a mess but I'd really like to not have to buy another 8 qts of oil to replace the brand new stuff I just put in
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 03-22-2010, 05:43 AM
Hard Core 4+

yes, might have to top off with a half quart or so. Your old filter may have dirtied the new oil a little bt I would not worry much.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 03-22-2010, 08:47 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I'd leave it on and change it next time. It's going to be messy.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:51 AM
Hard Core 4+

I would not let a filter go 2 oil changes. I read some studies that an oil filter may go into bypass mode well before the oil change is due. That is the problem with running synthetic oil on higher mileage change intervals.

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

2008 Subaru WRX Wagon, mods and lifted on 27's

2001 Honda XR400 with goodies
Old 03-22-2010, 09:04 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Jeff this is the style of filter wrench that I have and think it works the best on the 80 out of all that I've tried.

I probably got in a Checker, has a black handle. are you using the smaller 90915-20004 filters?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-22-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Ok, since Matt started this theme (luckily for me ) I thought I'd see if I could best his stupid question with one of my own.

Changed the oil in the 's 80 and the LX today. Everything went fine as usual except for I couldn't get the stupid oil filter off on the 80 - I went through this way back the first time I changed the oil in the 80 and resorted to the "punch a screwdriver through the oil filter" trick. I had no desire to relieve that utterly messy experience, and the needed to be somewhere so I just filled the 80 up with fresh oil and sent her on her way until I could figure out what to do. The filter on the LX came off easy so I guess the last oil change I tightened the 80's filter just a tad too much (I follow the FSM recommended method of a 3/4 turn after the oil filter seal makes contact)

I hit Checker up later in the day and picked up a pair of oil filter wrench pliers:

Attachment 17808

I "think" I can get to the oil filer from below with these (definitely can't from the top) and I'm hoping that can loosen the oil filter just enough so I can get it off....

Now, for the stupid question. Can I change just the oil filter without having to drain the oil - I'm pretty clueless about the internal workings of an engine, and I know it'll make a mess but I'd really like to not have to buy another 8 qts of oil to replace the brand new stuff I just put in
I use those pliers, I just use them at an angle to get at the filter and loosen it up. I go from above... I haven't found a better solution. Make sure you have the right filter though. I usually end up crushing it using this method.

What I haven't been able to figure out is how to get the filter off without making a mess... I seem to get oil all over the axle/brake hose.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:20 AM
Hard Core 4+

[quote=nakman;143325]

QUOTE]

i like the strap second best, only because it hase a tendensey to slip.. i prefer this claw style below most because it dose almost any car from close up on to your ratchet.. to your 3.4l were you can just add 2 feet of extentions and get to the filter from out side the tire, with out scratching the paint..
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2010, 09:24 AM
Rising Sun Member

Jeff, I have the wrench that Nakman posted up. It has a nice swivel action that works well in hard to reach places. You are welcome to give it a go if you would like. You should be fine to just change the filter, but you will still have some spillage from the oil that is in the filter.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 03-22-2010, 09:25 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
I'd leave it on and change it next time. It's going to be messy.
Change it everytime! Oil filters are cheap compared to what contaminants can do to your engine when the filters bypass is open!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 03-22-2010, 09:28 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMZTOY View Post
i like the strap second best, only because it hase a tendensey to slip.. i prefer this claw style below most because it dose almost any car from close up on to your ratchet.. to your 3.4l were you can just add 2 feet of extentions and get to the filter from out side the tire, with out scratching the paint..

No way, really? I'm going to try that next time.. I just did my 3.4 yesterday, have gotten pretty good at leaning over the battery then feeling around down there with my left arm, but I wish there was a better way to clean up down there. Do you have to remove those rubber flaps to do this?

www.gamiviti.com