Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-22-2010, 08:55 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Now the Exhaust

Ok, got a new bumper last weekend and couple questions to a bunch of guys I know have solved this:

1) Now that the tire is out of there, is there any compelling reason to keep the crossmember that holds the spare, much less the winch?

2) It looks like once that crossmember is gone, I can run the exhaust along the frame rail, is this flawed logic?

3) Any good exhaust benders in Boulder/Louisville? If it was Phoenix, "Mighty Muffler" would be the place.

Amazing how much loot I am dumping into that thing.

Paul
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2010, 10:39 AM
Hard Core 4+

DO NOT lose any crossmembers back there. You actually need more. That's a large rear box, and adding a highmounted rear spare increases the flex back there.

I used to be able to flex my fame to body mounts by almost an inch using the leverage of the swing out on the frame with no additional bracing.

john (johnny) henley
Old 03-22-2010, 10:42 AM
Hard Core 4+

Agreed on the frame members, but I would remove the spare tire hoist. On mini trucks that is a prime location for a second fuel tank.

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Old 03-22-2010, 10:50 AM
Hard Core 4+

It is not really a cross member as much as the support for the spare tire hoist. If you were putting a fuel tank, it would get removed.
Becareful where you dump the tail pipe other wise you could end up like Hants and melt a bunch of stuff.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:52 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderpig View Post
It is not really a cross member as much as the support for the spare tire hoist. If you were putting a fuel tank, it would get removed.
Good point, but when you take off the hoist and cross member you bolt a tank between the frame members which replaces to some extent the cross over tie that you removed. If take off the hoist and bracket and replace it with nothing then the two frame sections are more free to twist.

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Old 03-22-2010, 10:57 AM
Hard Core 4+

But Dave, the support is not really attached that well, nor with any type of structure of the metal. The fuel tanks are usually not attached to the side frame rails as much as the front and rear cross member that are true cross members and welded in.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:06 PM
Rising Sun Member

Dump both the hoist and the support IMO - Throw the hoist up on MUD for sale - someone in the rust belt section will most likely jump on it. I had someone PM me asking to buy mine and I never even posted it for sale (just mentioned in a thread that I had removed it).

That's Slee's bumper correct? If you have the tow dealyo installed you'll have to remove the hoist and crossmember anyway to make room for the hitch supports.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 03-22-2010, 12:37 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
But Dave, the support is not really attached that well, nor with any type of structure of the metal. The fuel tanks are usually not attached to the side frame rails as much as the front and rear cross member that are true cross members and welded in.
Gotcha. I have never seen them up close and so working from assumptions. I just figured they would bolt in, at least partially, where the hoist bracket lived.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:33 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Be careful you could end up like Hants
Isn't that what you really meant? I can tease him cuz he gave me a Margarita that was evidently pure jet fuel last year as I was barely able to climb back into my rig after 1.5 of them.

I just thought running along the frame all the way to the back bumper would be the way to go. But that is impossible with that assembly that holds the tire up. I guess if others stuff gas tanks back there that would explain why running it along the frame is not the universal solution.

I've seen people tucking it out the side but even that leaves the thing vulnerable doesn't it?
Old 03-22-2010, 03:08 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I removed my spare tire "cross member" and hoist years ago. I certainly didn't see it as a structural element when I took it out.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.