Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 03-22-2010, 08:36 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Changing out a cam on a 22RE

After driving Randy's rig in Moab last week I really enjoyed the cam he has in his motor. It is a RV cam I believe made for mid range torque. Our set ups are identical so I know what I can expect from installing one.

I need to know how long a job this is and if there is anybody out there that can help me. I am sure I do a lot of it my self but engines are not my thing. I would like to do this before Moab if possible but if not that is OK.

Also what else can I do to increase my power while my head is off, not that head I don't have a ton of money to spend on it but do have some.

All suggestions are welcome except for the bigger engine ones Not enough cash for that right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 03-22-2010, 08:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

turbo

that's more cash though...
82 FJ40
Old 03-22-2010, 10:13 PM
Hard Core 4+

Interesting... I ran the same cam and head in the '93 and loved it. Idled great! Dave, I think maybe your cam timing is off. Try an adjustable cam sprocket maybe?
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:14 PM
Hard Core 4+

it sounds to me like your not tuned properlly.. problly off by a tooth or 2, check to see if your adjustable cam sproket moved some.. of corse check all this at TDC cylender 1
Old 03-23-2010, 02:27 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
<sniup>Heck, I would trade even the whole engine for a decent running old 22R as long as it idled smooth, let me run 85 again and gave me back my lost few MPG.
When my body rots off, I will have what you're looking for and it will likely have less than 100k miles on it. With a new carburetor it might even get more than 11mpg on 85. Actually on Sunday I drove up to Evergreen and then down to Roxborough through Conifer, then home on Wads hitting almost every light red all the way to Lafayette with just the left hub accidentally left locked in and I got just over 12mpg for the day. Pretty good for me for half hiway/half city driving. It idles like a champ at about 750.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:13 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80lolux4x4 View Post
...i Got Just Over 12mpg For The Day...
Youch!!
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:14 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMZTOY View Post
it sounds to me like your not tuned properlly.. problly off by a tooth or 2, check to see if your adjustable cam sproket moved some.. of corse check all this at TDC cylender 1
Dave, that makes two... I bet your fix might be a whole lot easier than you think.
KDRCH
Bio Page
Old 03-23-2010, 07:43 AM
Rising Sun Member

Dave, Did you degree the cam when you stuck it in?
82 FJ40
Old 03-23-2010, 07:56 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner View Post
I need to know how long a job this is and if there is anybody out there that can help me. I am sure I do a lot of it my self but engines are not my thing. I would like to do this before Moab if possible but if not that is OK.
I don't have the experience you are looking for, but I have recently found that I am learning much more about 22r/re engines. I'd like to lend a hand/learn when you take this job on and will be watching this thread.
TLCA #18941
Old 03-23-2010, 09:26 AM
Hard Core 4+

Dave, it sounds good. PM me your number so we can talk, very interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
I have a Engbldr 261C cam in an RV head (he slightly ported the chambers) with oversized valves. You are welcome to trade heads with me, I absolutely hate it and want a stock one back. I run a bored out throttle body, 4-to-1 headers, 2-1/2"LCE intake from the AFM to the TB. Still slow, just gets worse gas mileage and idles like sh!t. The only thing I did not do when I built this engine is lower the block deck or use domed pistons (it was a brand new factory short block, just about the last one in the North American parts system).

I'm serious, straight up trade for a decent stock head and throttle body.

Dead serious.

Really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me