Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-25-2010, 07:50 PM
Rising Sun Secretary

Question Headers for a 40

Who likes what? Do I have to spend 500 for the fancy Manafre ceramic ones or are the cheaper ones by them or maybe the JK outfitters $200 ones OK?
Old 03-25-2010, 10:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

How about the cheapers ones and then take them to someone local (like the place Red Chili used) and get them coated?
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 03-26-2010, 06:57 AM
Rising Sun Member

I have a header that I will be putting in my 40. I picked it up off CL and don't know it's pedigree or history. In my research, there is not a "must have" manufacturer of headers for the F/2F engines.

I am going to ceramic coat the header. The coating will be just under $200. The ceramic coating does two things; extends the life and keeps engine temps down. For me, it is worth the money - for others maybe not. I did this with headers that were installed on my Bronco a few years ago and have been very pleased with the results.

I am also planning on taking the intake manifold and header to a machine shop (don't know which one yet) to make sure they are flat and mate together well. This is extremely important to insure the installation is leak free.
TLCA #18941
Old 03-26-2010, 07:14 AM

I have a brand new one in box I'd like to get rid of. It's uncoated, but I know of at least one local shop that does ceramic coatings on headers. PM me if interested.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:31 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

There is probably a small difference in performance between the MAF design units and the less expensive JTO units, but you are talking about a 2F after all. You'll never notice the difference between them.

I have the JTO headers and they work just fine, decent quality, etc. If you want to spend the coin on ceramic go for it but it probably won't make them last much longer. They don't usually rust out, they crack eventually from vibration and the motor torquing around.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 03-30-2010, 12:11 PM
Hard Core 4+

You could rattle can them as well. I have done that with the exhaust on my 80. Hell of a lot cheaper. Stick them in your oven for 45 minutes at 400 degrees and your good to go. Don't forget to preheat the oven of course.

'72 FJ-40 - 33's, F&R Disc Brake Conversation, rear ARB, sliders, Winch.

'96 FZJ-80 - Borla Exhaust, ARB w/ M8000, OME 3" lift, sliders, 305 BFG KM2, 4.88's and ARBs, and usually dog hair.

TLCA#5366
Old 03-30-2010, 12:17 PM
Hard Core 4+

I have the cheap, older Man-a-fre headers on my 2F. They seem to work great and the 2F in my 40 which is desmogged and sporting the headers is much more lively than any other 2F I've owned. Although, when these headers finally crack, I'll probably be going back to the OEM setup so that I can fit my PTO driveline.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:23 PM
Rising Sun member

And adding to that, Martin's 40 can outrun my 40. Mine is the stock setup on 31" Goodyear MT/Rs, he's on 34" Super Swampers. There are probably other factors, but this may be one of them. YMMV
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 03-30-2010, 09:55 PM
Hard Core 4+

I had a Downey 6-1 header. No coating. I think it was about $200. Great upgrade over stock. Never had overheating problems. Worked well with the saganaw steering. I believe Downey is no longer but perhaps someone knows where it came from. Having Mark rebuild and work some magic on my carb was another great improvement, better than the header. Also about $200
Old 03-30-2010, 11:25 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJM View Post
I am also planning on taking the intake manifold and header to a machine shop (don't know which one yet) to make sure they are flat and mate together well. This is extremely important to insure the installation is leak free.
My old buddy Steve Hansen from Windy City Land Cruisers always used 2 exhaust manifold gaskets, stacked, to seal up the leaks when installing headers. He swore this helped seal everything up.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.