Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 03-30-2010, 07:52 PM

Default Now the hard part.

Picking a lift. I know this has been beat to death, but theres so many opinions it has me confused.
Lift for the 80
Slee vs FOR

Things I want:
3.5" - 4" lift
315/75r16's
Bumpers front and rear
Winch
Sliders

I here about the stiffness of the Slee lift for ruff roads, but the trade off is stability offroad? Is it really that stiff? The progressive rate FOR sounds good for the rough dirt roads, but not designed for the additional weight of bumpers? So would I be past the soft rate and into the stiff (and lower) just sitting. I dont plan on adding any drawers or fridge to the back, and am going to keep the 3rd row seats. One of my excuses for buying the 80 was that I needed a softer ride for our newborn than my '93 3/4 ton dodge provides. Its pretty bad, back ache on long road trips bad, My wife once got out of the truck and walked between potash and the bottom of Shafer trail bad. We turned around and she was pissed the rest of the day, bad.

I've also think I've read somewhere on MUD that FOR might not be doing progressive rate springs anymore

If anyone could give some input it would be great. Slee, I'd love to here any input you have. I know its not a simple answer but I've never been in a lifted 80 so I have no idea. I finally sold the Bradley GT so now I'm ready to lift.

I know I originally said small lift and 33's but I figured I skip that expensive stepping stone.

1996 FZJ80
Old 03-30-2010, 08:19 PM
Hard Core 4+

Anything having a spring rate higher than stock will ride differently. That may be a bad thing or a good thing. I have been down lots of desert roads with my Slee suspension on a lighter than usual 80. Stiffer is good in some ways and not in others. Shocks have a lot to do with ride. OME shocks have way too much compression damping and alot of people blame that stiff ride on the coils. For instance,Ii have heavy OMEJ on the front of the LX with soft Pro-Crap ES3000's and it is bouncy and far from stiff. I have not heard of any broken Slee springs like other brands supposedly have had. Slee is proven over the years, can you say that about other domestic brands. If your wife didn't like the ride of a 3/4 ton empty or not, she probably won't like an 80 with aftermarket suspension unless you have it really loaded down with accessories and gear. I have had 3 lifted late model 3/4 ton Superdutys and my picky wife never complained. I would suggest having both of you ride in modded 80s to see for yourself. You may want to leave it stock or just do a small medium or low-level lift. You could also choose any lift and make a sizeable investment on custom valved shocks from Fox or slee and get the best ride possible. Good luck.

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

2008 Subaru WRX Wagon, mods and lifted on 27's

2001 Honda XR400 with goodies
Old 03-30-2010, 08:41 PM

Thanks for the info, as far as my truck being stiff, its common to the 1st gen Dodges (made to be loaded), every other 3/4 and 1 ton I've had or been in has been good.

1996 FZJ80
Old 03-30-2010, 08:50 PM
Rising Sun Commander

I have had no regrets with the Slee kit, I love the ride. I think it handles great, and far less body roll than the OME kits I had before, feels really stable at any speed, even on corners. You're welcome to take mine for an extended spin when I get to Moab in a few weeks, send me an email.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-30-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
I have had no regrets with the Slee kit, I love the ride. I think it handles great, and far less body roll than the OME kits I had before, feels really stable at any speed, even on corners. You're welcome to take mine for an extended spin when I get to Moab in a few weeks, send me an email.
That would be awesome.

1996 FZJ80
Old 03-31-2010, 12:24 AM
Rising Sun Member

Can't help really since all I've got is the OME 2.5" heavy lift but I've been happy with that...Although I went into it knowing that the rear would be stiffer than optimum when I wasn't loaded (camping stuff in back and pulling the popup) just like Christo said it would .

That said, I spent a LOT of time behind the wheel of Hulk's 80 with the Slee 4" kit and I thought it drove great (on the road only, Matt never let me get behind the wheel offroad which was probably a smart move on his part ).

I've heard nothing but good about FOR's lift but if you've read any of "Filmpros" threads on MUD it seems you have to have pretty deep pockets and a lot of patience to get a lift dialed in for heavier weighted 80s. Nay is the only guy "local" that I know has the FOR lift but I've never driven it and he believes in the "lighter is better" approach.

That said, if I had the $$ I'd probably sit down with Christo and have him put together a 4" lift for me that matched my truck's weight and setup (front & rear bumpers, winch, slider, dual batts (someday), no drawers in the rear, etc.).
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 03-31-2010, 08:09 AM
Hard Core 4+

What I don't see on your list is regear to turn those 315's. A good friend has the Slee 4" kit with 285's. He has no bumpers or drawers. Rides great. I can't say enough good things about the quality of Slee's products and staff.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnhamstj View Post
What I don't see on your list is regear to turn those 315's. A good friend has the Slee 4" kit with 285's. He has no bumpers or drawers. Rides great. I can't say enough good things about the quality of Slee's products and staff.
gears are a future "if needed" mod.

1996 FZJ80
Old 03-31-2010, 08:55 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahi View Post
gears are a future "if needed" mod.
If you plan to wheel, then I'd suggest you move the gears up the list sooner rather than later, even do it before you get the big tires. With 315's, you'll struggle a bit climbing stuff... just puts more stress on your torque converter. And then you'll be going mach 10 down hills. Not to mention the highway performance, and off the line patheticness. 4.88's and 35's is very sweet, IMO.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-31-2010, 09:07 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
I've heard nothing but good about FOR's lift but if you've read any of "Filmpros" threads on MUD it seems you have to have pretty deep pockets and a lot of patience to get a lift dialed in for heavier weighted 80s.
FWIW, you also have to know that Filmpros is planning to open a shop. He already has the name "North America 4x4" (see his sig on mud). I am pretty sure they plan to sell and install FOR lifts, hence the hugely supportive posts that appear to be from an enthusiast, but it really is bias.

I have also spoken to people on the east coast that have driven FOR kits on the road and did not like the fact that they are so soft. On Expo portal there was a post showing a video of one of his trucks jumping a snow bank. It appeared in the video that it hit the bump stops pretty hard.

That said, I have never driven in one of their trucks, but seen Nay's video's. In all cases it seems like it is soft springs that are under damped by the shocks. Best thing is to drive the trucks off-road and see what you like.